Forced subtitles missing

vbimport

Hi,
Can anybody tell me why I’m not getting any forced subtitles (e.g. subtitles when someone speaks in a foreign language different to primary language) when I rip DVDs to either mpeg or avi formats for storage on my HDD? A prime example of this issue is when I ripped ‘Sum Of All Fears’ - an english film but there were no subtitles given for the bits when the Russians were speaking in their native language.

I’m using ImToo DVD Ripper Ultimate 5.

Cheers,
Mark

I am having the same problem with IMTOO. There are a lot of films out there that have subtitles in parts of the film, but not the whole film. Examples are:

All Star Wars Movies
Lord of the rings
Hunt for Red October
Sum of All Fears
Pearl Harbour
Empire of the Sun
The Mummy Part III
Rush Hour 1, 2 and 3
Lethal Weapon IV
Indian Jones (movies 2 and 3)
Etc
Etc
Etc

Anyway, there is no way in IMTOO to put the FORCED subtitles on the movie other than to either put them over the whole movie (very annoying when its just 5 minutes of the movie you need them on), or for the whole chapter, which means you have to work with chapters and all the merging that needs to take place.

I have emailed IMTOO support about this, and confirm it’s a missing function and ‘will be passed to the developers’, so it now has gone into a big black hole and most likely, will not appear in any release of IMTOO.

Its really annoying that such an obvious area of functionality is missing. And so many films which cant be viewed other than through the DVD.

Come on Imtoo, pull your finger out.

Since posting my original question, I have noted that some DVD’s in the subtitle area had mutiple subtitle entries for English. When I tested some out, on occasion, the sub-titles only came on screen when another language was being spoken, hence in all intents and purposes, this was forced subtitles. I’m not sure all DVD’s offer this but it certainly worked for my The Last Samurai DVD.

[QUOTE=regeneration10;2221279]Since posting my original question, I have noted that some DVD’s in the subtitle area had mutiple subtitle entries for English. When I tested some out, on occasion, the sub-titles only came on screen when another language was being spoken, hence in all intents and purposes, this was forced subtitles. I’m not sure all DVD’s offer this but it certainly worked for my The Last Samurai DVD.[/QUOTE]

Excellant tip. Thanks for posting back. I will give this a try and see how I get on.

our program provides the choice of subtitles,be sure highlight the file before you modify it. You can have a try.
Thanks for your question.

[QUOTE=regeneration10;2221279]Since posting my original question, I have noted that some DVD’s in the subtitle area had mutiple subtitle entries for English. When I tested some out, on occasion, the sub-titles only came on screen when another language was being spoken, hence in all intents and purposes, this was forced subtitles. I’m not sure all DVD’s offer this but it certainly worked for my The Last Samurai DVD.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately this tip does not work for all DVDs, some have these subtitles as choosable entry in the subtitle combobox, but not all. Tron can be done this way, Terminator 1 not.

So the question still is. How to get the subtitle parts from a DVD which are telling locations (or timelines) without getting every spoken line as subtitle in the avi.

Like in Terminator 1 DVD at 00:00:42 - 00:00:48 saying “[B]Los Angeles 2029 A.D.[/B]”

Either I can do it completely without subtitles, which is very annoying when the epilog during the startup only exists as subtitles, or getting every spoken word as subtitle too.

Is there a way actually to get an avi like this or will there be a fix in the future to make this possible?

@Imtoosoft: The selectable subtitles do not exactly solve our problem.

Greetings
Niriel

quick update - a little googling specifically for Da Vinci Code has uncovered something inconvenient. Apparently there are at least two kinds of “forced subtitles” in DVDs: a) The original style (e.g. Kill Bill, Star Wars etc.) in which there is a track that contains only the non-english parts and a flag that tells the DVD player to turn on that subtitle & b) In the Da Vinci code style, there are subtitles for everything, but only certain parts are flagged as forced. And, at the moment, ImToo doesn’t seem to be able to recognise these flags which sucks.

Any ideas for this one?