Force max speed on unrecognized media: FW hack?

Hi all, I have a 24102b perfectly working.
The problem I ave is with my new Verbatim Crystal MetalAZO 700 Mb media.
These media are 1x-24x certified, but with current firmware (5s5a) my Liteon does not recognize max speed so I cannot burn more than 16x.
Waiting for a new firmware supporting these media, can I hack my CDRW to force a 24x writing?

Thx in advance

L’uka

No, you can’t hack the firmware to force 24x writing. The writing is probably being limited to 16x because Smartburn has rated the media for a maximum of 16x writing regardless of the “certification”.

You could try turning Smartburn off which should allow you to burn this media at 24x. If you do this it will defeat the purpose of Smartburn, which is to prevent errors by keeping the burning speed from exceeding the tested limit of the media.

Although disabling Smartburn may allow you to burn at a faster speed, it will produce more errors (or coasters) and is not recommended.

Originally posted by Inertia
No, you can’t hack the firmware to force 24x writing. The writing is probably being limited to 16x because Smartburn has rated the media for a maximum of 16x writing regardless of the “certification”.

Hmmm… this is strange. I can normally burn other 24x media with a 24x speed even with Smartburn on.
BTW, toggling off Smartburn does not allow me to use a higher speed.

L’uka

Unfortunately your writer cant read the writing on top of the disc, the disc type will have been tested by lite on and rated at 16x, or maybe not tested and limited to 16x by default.

The hack could be possible. Have you ever seen the 2x4all firmware for the DVR-104/A04?

Lots of things may be possible. Until they are made possible they can’t be done, which is not the same as impossible.

At present there is no way to deal with lmerega’s media speed limitation by a firmware hack, regardless of what has been done with the DVR-104/A04. Although theoretically possible, a hacked modification of Lite-on 24102b firmware to allow one media type to burn faster is unlikely to ever happen.

…firmware to allow one media type to burn faster is unlikely to ever happen.

True.

a hacked modification of Lite-on 24102b firmware to allow one media type to burn faster is unlikely to ever happen.

Surely right, but I was looking for a modification to allow ALL media burn faster.
That’s it :smiley:
Anyway I’ll wait for a new firmware and, in the meanwhile, I’ll burn using 16x.

Thx

L’uka

Originally posted by lmerega
Surely right, but I was looking for a modification to allow ALL media burn faster.

That is already possible, just turn-off smartburn in Nero and burn your coasters/cd’s_with_lots_of_errors at your selected high speed.

Originally posted by Upp3rd0G
[B]

That is already possible, just turn-off smartburn in Nero and burn your coasters/cd’s_with_lots_of_errors at your selected high speed. [/B]

That’s not true :frowning:
Even turning SmartBurn OFF I cannot burn at speeds higher than 16x.
Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Luca

I’m having this same problem with Verbatim media…

New SuperAZO 48x media only SMARTBURN’s at 16x.

I think Liteon just has issues recognizing Verbatim media.

It’s irritating, I paid $30 for this spindle and am stuck writing at 16x in Nero.

Oddly enough, other proggies (CDRWin, CloneCD, etc.) burn at 24x fine - the media obviously supports it.

• Gurm

Simply try Liteons Smartburn test program…if it identifys your verbatims correctly only at 16x, there will be a reason why they do so :wink: but if this media is unknown to your firmaware, it will not recognise it ( = all red) and you should try disabling Smartburn…

i got the same problem: i bought some new kind of media, made by Daxxon Technology (thats what neros Disk info tells me, to get this, use shift+klick on refresh). They are labbeld as Sunstar 48x (well, thats only a reseller, also got CMC an Ritek under that label, and they look all the same) and were only burned 16 with Smartburn enabled…Simply disabling Smartburn did help to burn at 40x and no errors in all 10 disks i tried and verified with cdspeed cdquality test…

To make it short: if u use some new sorts an CDR, and your burners firmware doesn´t know of its existance, it will limit burning to 16x. Disable it and make shure to check the burning quality with some c1/c2 reporting programm…

Originally posted by Gurm
[B]I’m having this same problem with Verbatim media…

Oddly enough, other proggies (CDRWin, CloneCD, etc.) burn at 24x fine - the media obviously supports it.

• Gurm [/B]

and this is only kinda cosmetical…nero simply detects write speed cababilities directly after inserting your cdr and then only lists the max. choices according to smartburn…CDRwin and Clonecd don´t do this…just use a stop watch and you will see they also burn only 16x

Holding the smartburn inforamtion in the firmware wasnt such a hot idea what happens when Liteon Decide not to support the drive anymore then we are sorta stuck when new media comes out. I reckon they should have had an external Lookup table in nero so even if the firmware was out of date it could use it instead, thos could be updated with program similar to live update. Still i suppose thats what turning smarturn off is for.

Originally posted by Quakester2000
Holding the smartburn inforamtion in the firmware wasnt such a hot idea what happens when Liteon Decide not to support the drive anymore then we are sorta stuck when new media comes out.

I agree.
This is the main rason I was trying to hack this damned firmware :rolleyes:

L’uka
Link too long for your posts? -> http://www.slimmit.com

Have you got the most up to date firmware from Liteons website? Maybe if your drive is able to be O/C maybe the firmware with the drive it can O/C to will be better.