For those considering soldering pins 45 and 47

vbimport

here is a much easier and safer way to close the connection between pins 45 and 47 on the dvd drive, thus allowing it be seen upon boot up in computers that have trouble recognzing nec notebook drives and do not set them up to maximize their capabilites.

i have quite a few notebooks (all toshibas) and quite a few dvd-rw drive, cd drives and cd/rw drives.

most bootup and set up properly in the secondary ide channel with ultra dma on as default.

to make a long story short for thoe drive which do not setup at boot up
go to radio shack and buy for a dollar a product called

“silver bearing paste…solder weld” ney weight 7.1 grams

it comes in a white plastic syringe applicator simliar to epoxy glues.

with you can use a pin to apply the smallest amount of this paste exactly to the proper place with fear of screwing something up. you can always remove it or move it as it is paste.

once you have it where you want it, get long ladies hat pin and heat it red hot. apply the tip of the hot pin to the paster until heats up like solder.

it may take more than one try.

voila! you’re done

wasn’t that easy?

can you post some pics and a what happens doing that more detailed or a link to a guide ?

i am planning to buy a 7551…

No need to plan for actions like this before you get your drive. Depending on your laptop NEC slim drives will work out-of-the-box.

But if you run into problems like this it’s much easier to use a slim CD/DVD to IDE adaptor and NEC’s reverse ATA firmware package.

For those still interested to experiment this CS soldering, I’ll add two pics.

[QUOTE=tecra;1417140]
to make a long story short for thoe drive which do not setup at boot up
go to radio shack and buy for a dollar a product called

“silver bearing paste…solder weld” ney weight 7.1 grams

it comes in a white plastic syringe applicator simliar to epoxy glues.
[/QUOTE]

Radio Shack no longer sells that type of soldering paste as I’ve checked their web site and the local Radio Shack stores that I live near by. I’m not sure if this will do.

I may plan to buy the NEC ND-6650a slim DVD drive somday and install it into the Mitac 8080 notebook computer to replace the Matsush~ta UJ-820s drive.

[QUOTE=noel-pcg91;2256566]Radio Shack no longer sells that type of soldering paste as I’ve checked their web site and the local Radio Shack stores that I live near by. I’m not sure if this will do.[/QUOTE]
No, it will not.