For the Sci fi movie fans out there

vbimport

They’ve finally made an announcement for Ender’s Game. It is now scheduled for release to theaters on March 15, 2013. A year and half nearly? Good grief.
Gavin Hood is director, but I haven’t seen anything about casting yet, other than they have started casting calls.

For those of you who might not know, Ender’s Game was written by Orson Scott Card, published in 1985 and took both the top prizes in Sci Fi for 1986. We’ve been waiting ever since for a movie version. Now to hope they don’t screw up.

Unfortunately, Hollywood can frack up anything.

Kate Beckinsale is starring in another Underworld movie this next year, so yay for skintight outfits. Doubt there will be much more than that to cheer. :slight_smile:

And they are going to release The Hunger Games this next year too. An interesting book, that was meant to appeal to a younger audience, it has a kill or be killed theme that doesn’t seem to entirely fit with that group. In other words, it can appeal to the adult audience as well. They’ve picked a great young actress as the lead; Jennifer Lawrence was outstanding in Winter’s Bone. Unfortunately the studio may simply want to make another Twilight out of this. As I said earlier, Hollywood can frack up even the most interesting story lines.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2610385] As I said earlier, Hollywood can frack up even the most interesting story lines.[/QUOTE]
I like the Edgar Rice Burroughs John Carter series . Great reading . On topic Hollywood fracked up the A Princess of Mars story from this series.
If you ever have time read the book . Then if you like the story line the series . depending on how you count them 11 by ERB & 2 by his son .

I read quite a few of the Edgar Rice Burroughs books when I was in junior high. Not bad, but I always preferred the Robert Howard, Conan books back then. :bigsmile: No accounting for taste when that young. But [I]Red Na[/I]ils is a heck of a story even now.

The movie John Carter hasn’t been released yet (based on A Princess of Mars). Looking at IMDB, they’ve invested $250 million in this thing! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0401729/

There are several sci-fi books I’d love to see made into films, but I doubt we’ll ever see them. Armor by John Steakley was the story that should have been done instead of the really poor rendition of Starship Troopers that we got. Armor isn’t a flawless novel, but the action scenes are peerless.

And The Left Hand of Darkness would be a superb film. Political intrigue, action, a love story like no other…this could be made into something rivaling Blade Runner. But Ursula LeGuin has been burned in the past by renditions of her work, and I doubt this will happen either.

@ Kerry56 ,
This is the one I posted about that Hollywood fracked up.

I hope the one you posted is done a lot better.

I read & unfortunately got rid of a lot of Conan comic books .
I haven’t read Red Nails but I think I will see if my library has it.
Checked & they do . Already put on hold. That way I pick it up at the local branch.
Unfortunately they started charging for Interlibrary loans in October this year because of buget cuts.
Not local but any library out of the local group.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2610384]They’ve finally made an announcement for Ender’s Game.[/QUOTE] One of my favourite novels (and series). I must admit that I doubt if it will adapt well as a movie, however. Let’s see how it turns out.

I checked & my library has The Left Hand of Darkness & Ender’s Game as novels but not Armor by John Steakley . After I read Red Nails I will get the other two. One at a time works best for me because most of the time it takes me a while to read a book.

Reading the link from the wiki, it does sound a bit like Battlestar Galactica’s story - replacing cylons the with the insectoids.

@ Kerry , I checked out a book entitled “Red Nails " . I reading the “Foreward” because it contained more Conan stories I found this had to do with contractual rights with “Weird Science” magazine.
I read the whole book .The stories were;
” Beyond The Black River “
” Shadows of Zanboula “
” Red Nails “
& a history " The Hyborian Age " .
I enjoyed all of them . I did find “Red Nails” a pretty typical Conan story in many ways .
You know plenty of sword & axe fighting with a rescue of the woman many times . Although Valeria did a good jod of fighting herself.
I guess I hadn’t read much about Howard before & it is a bit sad " Red Nails” is his las Conan story.
Now I will see if I can get one of the other two.

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!!!

Prometheus

Ridley Scott is returning to the Alien storyline.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2616073]Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!!!

Prometheus

Ridley Scott is returning to the Alien storyline.[/QUOTE]

Oooh… Charlize Theron too!! :iagree:

I might have to watch that one, purely for research purposes you know. :wink:

[B]Wombler[/B]

Prometheus HD Trailer

I finished " The Left Hand of Darkness " . It starts slow but I guess when telling a story about an alien world a lot of background has to be written.
I think a lot of people would put this book down in the first quarter of the book.
It takes about that far before much gets going & till about a third before it gets going enough to become a good book to read.
I don’t want to give too much away for anyone that may also read this book.
It makes you want to get a hot cup of coffee , a blanket , & turn up the heater when reading it. It has an underlying message about Yin & Yang. It does mention that in a small part of one chapter but overall you have to figure that out yourself.
I would recomment it for a read.
My next book to read will be Armor by John Steakley .

I used to have this book but loaned it to someone & never got it back .
"The Dark Descent " it is a collection of short horror stories by various authors .

Not a movie but on the Science Channel, Wednesday nights at 10:00 P.M. Eastern there is a program called [B]Prophets of Science Fiction. [/B]It explores how the great minds of Science Fiction imagined our future, in turn, made their fantasies reality. Past episodes were Philip K. Dick, Isaac Asimov, Mary Shelly, Arthur C. Clarke and tonights episode is Jules Verne. Hosted by Ridley Scott. IMHO this is a excellent series.

Oh Man! Thanks bro :flower:

Makes me mad I missed Asimov and Dick :frowning: AND Clarke? :sad:

Loved Asimov since goin’ through his Foundation trilogy back in 6th grade :clap:

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2623812]Oh Man! Thanks bro :flower:

Makes me mad I missed Asimov and Dick :frowning: AND Clarke? :sad:

Loved Asimov since goin’ through his Foundation trilogy back in 6th grade :clap:[/QUOTE]
They are repeated quite often just check your listing guide on different days.

[QUOTE=jamescooley1;2623814]They are repeated quite often just check your listing guide on different days.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Jim :slight_smile:

I haven’t seen Prometheus yet. Going to have to make time to go see it.

In the meantime, another sci-fi classic is set to be made into a movie, but I’m not certain Hollywood can do justice to this one. It is [I]Snow Crash[/I], by Neal Stephenson.

Attack the Block was better than I expected, and this director did a decent job with that movie, so maybe there is some hope from this project, but it is a complex novel, and anything that isn’t comic book simplistic seems beyond most Hollywood films these days.

By the way, [I]Safety Not Guaranteed[/I] looks promising. I may wait for the dvd release on it though.