For the life of me I can't remember how to?

vbimport

Back up my firmware. I just bought a liteon 851 running GSO8 firmware. Liteon has the new firmware out GSOH and I want to back up my GSO8 just in case it doesn’t work too well. My first test, using Kprobe were not that great. And I want to get the scans that I use to get with my 401. They were somewhere around, PI/PO 60 to 70’s, tops. Anyway can someone direct me in the right direction, please…

TIA
VB9999

Lite-On Flashtool

You will find firmware at same site. :wink:

Hey Pinto2 thanks very much for the link, worked great… I knew that someone would have an answer, as always… Now I will reply back with some of my scans. I just got the Nero Speed 3.0 that will also measure the PI/PO outputs and I will respond with some of my scans… My 401S always worked great and I’m looking for the same kinda scans…

Thanks
VB9999

I flashed my 851 to the newest frimware and my scans are worse than ever. I want to try some of the other different firmware, where can I find them. The liteonit website only has the newest one. Here is my lastest scan, horrible… The last one is of a dvd-r disk, why is it better than the +r media… I was under the impression that liteon did better with +r media then -r media.

I need some help tryng to get better scans.
winxp
p4 1.6
512 ram
have DMA running at ultra2 DMA mode 2 secondary master, only thing on that cable
abit th7II mb

Thanks
VB9999

VB9999,
You can get the different firmware from here, just scroll down until you find your drive model.

http://dhc014.rpc1.org/indexOEM.htm#L

I found GS0H to be the worse firmware so far. So i stick with GS0F =)

Thanks, IceBerg, for the link. I book marked for further reference…

Thanks d4rkangel, I will take your advice and try GSOF and see if it will clean things for me…

Thanks Guy’s
VB9999

Ok here is a scan with GSOH firmware, and its not that great…
d4rkangel-are these close to what you get as far as the kprobe goes and the GSOF???

VB9999

ooooppppssss let me go back and reflash the drive in a dos window. I see that it’s not the firmware that I origionally flashed with, so let me go abac and try again…

Ok now I have a new problem. When I went to flash the drive using boot-img boot disk I get an “err: failed to open input file.” I have used mtkflash 3.01 (i think) and used 1.69, or course with 3.01 NOT using the /b command, and using it with 1.69. Now windods does not see the drive at all. Now that my drive is useless, have I lost the drive. Is it no good anymore???

Also I tried to flash the drive in windows first and it would not upgrade the firmware.

TIA
VB9999

offtopic
Hi, now it´s maybe on time for the last four words in your signature… :bigsmile:
/offtopic

Okay, try to explain more in details what you done.
What file did you tried to load? Have you ever loaded any FW with MtkFlash before?

Replay back. :wink:

That is one of the worst MCC burns I’ve ever seen!

1/ It’s not a problem with the firmware. If the burn is that bad, it’s not going to get any better no matter what official firmware you’re using.

2/ Is this media legitimate? The burn quality looks a lot like that of counterfeit MCC media.

3/ If the media is legitimate, then you have a damaged drive. RMA it and get a replacement.

I followed the instructions from http://dhc014.rpc1.org to the tee.

First I dl’ed the boot disk from there rebooted using it. First I tried to reboot using the minimal and I could’nt get the C: where I had created a directory called firm, thats where I stored all my files. Then I rebooted using “no cd support” and that let into C: where I could get to my files.

Second I went to the directory where the files are stored. I used the command mktflash 3 w gsof.bin. I got the bin file from there also. Using mktflash 1.80.1, latest version. This is where I got the error message.

Third I tried a different version of mktflash, 1.69. And used the /b “mktflash 3 w /b gsof.bin” and got the same message.

So here is where I’m stuck and don’t know what to do to get my drive back. Windows doesn’t even see it now.

No I have not used mktflash before.

Ok I fixed my signature. :iagree:

TIA
VB9999

Yes they are Verbatium disk that I’m using. Ok I just thought that maybe upgrading the firmware that it would help my problem but I guess not.

Thanks
VB9999

Third I tried a different version of mktflash, 1.69. And used the /b “mktflash 3 w /b gsof.bin” and got the same message.

You can only use this command if you have the FW-file on a A: diskette.

Make like this;

• Copy the firmware file (unZipped) and MTKFLASH.EXE to an A:diskette.
  • Boot in DOZ with your bootdiskette. When you get A:>, change the diskette to the one with firmware on!
  • Type command; MTKFLASH 3 W /B GS0F.BIN
    (this only, if your drive is Secondary Master and the firmware is GS0F.BIN)

Try it. :slight_smile:

Edit, you can make your own bootdisk in WinXP.
Doubleclick My compu–>rightclick on A:diskette, tick as shown on pic–>Start

pinto2–Ok I did all that and still the same thing. I keep getting that error message. I did everything that you said to do. I think that teh drive went bad on me so I think that I will revert back to my 401s and rma the 851. Unless there is something else that you think that I can do???

Thanks for all yor help
VB9999

"err: failed to open input file." 

Okay, this might be a “longshot”, but are you really spelling the name of firmwarefile right?
The third character in firmware name is a “0”, ZERO! Not an O. (Without exclamation “”)

Sure you typed everything right? :smiley:

OMG I feel like an idot, that was it. o instead 0. LOL man I feel stupid. Hey thanks for all your help though. I’m going to reread the dvd and try another burn adn see how that goes. I will post back…

Later
VB9999

Don´t feel bad. I have made same mistake MANY times in my life…:smiley:

I have a good feeling that I’m going to have to RMA this drive. What do you all think.