For Pepst: information on MPO coloured substrate CD-Rs

vbimport

Your wish is my command :flower:
lol

anyways I took some quality scans and have attached them to this thread. You might also find the TRTs interesting, this and a photograph of the discs themselves are also attached.

For each disc I scanned, I will try to keep their saved Quality Scan and TRT together in this page. The last picture is the photograph, for each colour disc the left hand side shows the top, on the right, a disc showing data side up, in the order from the top of blue, black, green, pink, and on the bottom, one orange disc, data side up.

I may have to split this into a number of posts. In this post the attachments are as follows.
First two attachments are tests of one black disc.
Second two attachments are tests of one blue disc.
Final attachment is a QS of another blue disc.

More pics:

First attachment is a Quality scan of a green CD.
Next two attachments are tests of an orange CD - but that one has one of those Memorex polyester labels which might account for the C1 spike at the end.
Last two attachments are scans of a pink CD.

Final post:

First two pics are tests of a red disc.
The final attachment is the photograph of the discs themselves, excuse the questionable photo quality.

Thanks for the scans and pictures :p.
What burned did you use to burn them - Optiarc? Could you burn one CD with your LG or Samsung? :wink:
BTW MPO does not make recordable media any more. What a pitty.

Nice discs - I like the colored substrates :wink: Are the high PIE due to the scanner? Or is the “color” affecting the QS result of the discs? Couldn’t remember seeing such high total PIEs with my own recent CD scans…

I’ve seen some “black” and “blue” as well as “gold/orange” colored CD-Rs from Prodisc (Smartbuy-branded), I’ll try to get my hands on some for my own testing. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=pepst;2125785]Thanks for the scans and pictures :p.
What burned did you use to burn them - Optiarc? Could you burn one CD with your LG or Samsung? ;)[/quote]
I’ve had these discs in my possession for 1 year to 18 months. Since I have changed some hardware in that time, the discs could have been burned in any one of 3 drives:
NEC 3550A (still works but I don’t use it anymore)
Samsung/TSST as per my sig (now it coasters discs, but it’s only been doing this for the past 6 months, but still works great as a reader and DVD scanner)
NEC/Optiarc 7203A (the only writing drive i use now)

and for a short time I had a:
Liteon/Optiarc 7191S. It’s possible some of the lighter discs, e.g. red, orange and pink, were burned with this: I used this drive for about a week or so, but replaced it in short order as it was a certifiable POS.

I don’t burn anything with my LG after getting some ugly Quality Scans back with Verbatim DVDs.

BTW MPO does not make recordable media any more. What a pitty.
Not totally true. They do make some kind of optical medias, for example they still have the coloured disc range that a customer can ask for with a bulk run of pressed Audio CDs or CD-ROMs.
http://www.mpo.co.uk/products/promotional/detail.asp?arId=578
And they’ve partnered with some crowd in the Netherlands to make BD-Rs.

[QUOTE=evo69;2125888]Nice discs - I like the colored substrates :wink: Are the high PIE due to the scanner? Or is the “color” affecting the QS result of the discs? Couldn’t remember seeing such high total PIEs with my own recent CD scans…[/quote]Quite likely. The figure you have to pay attention to is the Quality Score. This outlines what the scanner software expects for a reading from a particular drive. I’ll give you one example:
I have a number of high quality DVD medias, MCC 004, Yuden000 T02.
If I scan a burned 8x TY DVD+R in the Samsung drive, I’ll get a Max PIF of two or 3, it will be inside the small (0-4) ‘Green’ section of the graph, and the disc will be given a quality score in the upper 90s.
Take the same disc, put in the Nec/Optiarc, a max speed scan will show Max PIF between 5 and 9, still within the ‘Green’ section of the graph, and again, the final Quality Score will be in the mid to upper 90s.
When I scan CDs in the Sammy versus the Nec/Optiarc, the differences in results is dramatically more profound, with the Sammy finding almost no errors at all and the Opty showing more than you might expect with for example a Nexperia BenQ.

I’ve seen some “black” and “blue” as well as “gold/orange” colored CD-Rs from Prodisc (Smartbuy-branded), I’ll try to get my hands on some for my own testing. :slight_smile:
SVP used to have a nice box of 10 discs there: the Smartbuy (Prodisc) Perfect 10, had discs in red, blue, orange, green and purple. Bought one pack at the time, and I regret not grabbing more when I had the chance :sad:

[QUOTE=SeanW;2125973]And they’ve partnered with some crowd in the Netherlands to make BD-Rs.
[/QUOTE]

Philips?
And are you sure they are still making recordable media, or just color prerecorded discs?

I’ve gotten some scans of a black-substrate Smartbuy/Prodisc CD-R here. The scans on a Sammy and LiteOn top out at around 4000 and 6000 total PIEs, which is why I was a bit concerned on the relatively high amount seen in your scans. The QS is just a notch higher though.

[quote=pepst;2127212]Philips?
And are you sure they are still making recordable media, or just color prerecorded discs?[/quote]

I personally have two pieces of Philips BD-R, made in the Netherlands.

SeanW:
Who are they partnered with?

[QUOTE=pepst;2127212]Philips?
And are you sure they are still making recordable media, or just color prerecorded discs?[/QUOTE]
You’re probably right, looks like just prerecorded discs: heck, when you go to the sites (mpo.co.uk) shop, they partnered with a webshop in Spain Todosgrababels or something, selling just the usual MIT and some MIJ stuff.

[QUOTE=evo69;2127300]I’ve gotten some scans of a black-substrate Smartbuy/Prodisc CD-R here. The scans on a Sammy and LiteOn top out at around 4000 and 6000 total PIEs, which is why I was a bit concerned on the relatively high amount seen in your scans. The QS is just a notch higher though.[/QUOTE]
It’s the way the different drives find different errors: NEC/Optiarcs are known to be “harder” on discs in Quality Scanning than LiteOn, Samsung and possibly the legendary Nexperia BenQs as well.
The Quality Score, based on Max Error rates, is the only thing you can really go on.

[QUOTE=theSpam;2127502]I personally have two pieces of Philips BD-R, made in the Netherlands.

SeanW:
Who are they partnered with?[/QUOTE]It wasn’t Philips, they have a press release on their website: www.mpointernational.com
but all the MPO websites seem to be down now, so I can’t get any more for you right now.

Again, they may be making BD-Rom discs instead of BD-R/RE.

[QUOTE=SeanW;2127604]Again, they may be making BD-Rom discs instead of BD-R/RE.[/QUOTE]

Yes, they are making BD-ROMs (SL) with Singulus machinery.
http://www.singulus.de/presse/pressemeldungen/pressemeldung/article/520/7.html?cHash=af2d88b5e9