For interest new DVD Format

Sorry if this is slightly un-related to DVDFab but was of interest and all this talk of ‘new’ license for Blue Ray etc… thought it would be good to get the jump.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8060082.stm

The only constant is change and there’s plenty of change coming along with newer formats of disc etc…

anyways, was just a lighter moment.

best

asbac

Hi Asbac. Can hardly wait. This is fantastic! :iagree:

[QUOTE=Metallica Boy;2278821]Hi Asbac. Can hardly wait. This is fantastic! :iagree:[/QUOTE]

Or maybe not so fantastic.

A. by the time this technology is ready for commercial production, I see potential problems. As we all know, there are good and there are bad DVD blanks on the market for sale to us (maybe) unwary consumers. Probably the same can be said for BD discs.

Now picture a 1.6 TB disc made by a manufacturer better known for volume production than high quality (we’ve all tripped over those kinds of DVDs).

I personally would hate to be viewing a film somewhere between 120-180 on the list of 300, to find out it freezes, is all pixelated, or has other (equally) horrible problems.

With a DVD, the worst scenario is re-doing the disc on a better quality product. What’s the option on a disc that size (1.6 TB)??

B. While I’m on the topic of re-doing (not to mention a compilation of 300 films for the 1.6 TB disc would require computer storage of equal size to hold it prior to the write to 1.6 TB disc, plus any extra space needed to ready the compilation for the write…), at current write and read speeds, 300 films of approx. 2 hrs. each=6000 hours (approx.). Worst scenario is 10-15 min. for ripping to HD to include in the compilation.

To prepare 300 films for that (again, using current day speeds) will require just over 3 days (@ 24 hrs. continuous work). Probably only a slightly shorter time to do the actual write. Total = almost 6 days. For one disc.

I sure hope there’s alot of people out there with [B]M U C H O[/B] patience!

By the time they are ready for production, I’m also sure some of these areas will be addressed. (though the internal data speed in a computer may need some tech. boost before we can enjoy a full-speed read and write of such a disc).

Something to think about?

OC

:eek:

[QUOTE=OCanada;2278997]B. While I’m on the topic of re-doing (not to mention a compilation of 300 films for the 1.6 TB disc would require computer storage of equal size to hold it prior to the write to 1.6 TB disc, plus any extra space needed to ready the compilation for the write…), at current write and read speeds, 300 films of approx. 2 hrs. each=6000 hours (approx.). Worst scenario is 10-15 min. for ripping to HD to include in the compilation.

OC

:eek:[/QUOTE]

That right there would play a big role on the ability to take advantage of such technology :iagree: