For anyone else who has had or has probs with a liteon drive

I am such a happy guy right now. For the last few months my LTR-40125 has been giving me constant red/orange flashing leds when I was burning… meaning that as I was trying to burn a disc the buffer underrun protection had to come on over and over as the drive wasn’t getting data fast enough… I tried the normal checks… cable, dma, media, etc. and still had probs. Recently I bought a new harddrive & controller… That was it! The controller I had was malfunctioning. Once I put the new controller in everything was fine.

Aztechya

:bigsmile:

Thanks for the info, i’ll remember that.

that might be abit overboard, i had same problem a while ago. did a search and found out i wasnt only one who experienced it. what happens with windows xp is if it detects 4 or 5 errors while burning or something i cant remember what exactly sets it off but it automatically sets your ide controller to PIO mode. which i guess doesnt allow it to fill the burners cache so thats why its always pausing and restarting.

what you have to do is goto device manager, disable the ide controller that your burner is on, restart, enable it again and reboot and should be back to ATA33.

Originally posted by PaulzY
[B]that might be abit overboard, i had same problem a while ago. did a search and found out i wasnt only one who experienced it. what happens with windows xp is if it detects 4 or 5 errors while burning or something i cant remember what exactly sets it off but it automatically sets your ide controller to PIO mode. which i guess doesnt allow it to fill the burners cache so thats why its always pausing and restarting.

What you have to do is goto device manager, disable the ide controller that your burner is on, restart, enable it again and reboot and should be back to ATA33. [/B]

Actually, I did those steps too. I have WinMe, Win2K and WinXP on my machine and it happened in every single one even after multiple ide controller uninstalls, reinstalls, configuration changes. Nothing fixed it. I knew about that possibility too.

Aztechya

Originally posted by PaulzY
[B]that might be abit overboard, i had same problem a while ago. did a search and found out i wasnt only one who experienced it. what happens with windows xp is if it detects 4 or 5 errors while burning or something i cant remember what exactly sets it off but it automatically sets your ide controller to PIO mode. which i guess doesnt allow it to fill the burners cache so thats why its always pausing and restarting.

what you have to do is goto device manager, disable the ide controller that your burner is on, restart, enable it again and reboot and should be back to ATA33. [/B]

Hmm… I’ve seen this too but I didn’t know that was what caused it. I never would have thought to disable the controller and re-enable. I had tried ot just re-enable DMA as usual but it hadn’t worked. I ended up switching the master slave relation of my dvd and burner to solve the problem. I had always wondered how it would
:eek: mysteriously:eek: get turned off. now I know. :slight_smile:

If you’re running a software CPU cooler and an AMD system, try turning the cool bit off whilst burning.

It causes exactly that problem on my Athlon – you can see the burner’s buffer running up & down in Nero and it reports up to hundreds of prevented underruns per burn.

Turning off the cool bit fixes it – if you forget and start a burn with it enabled you can do it whilst the burn is running, the interrupts stop instantly.

(Admittedly, the burner in this machine is a Plex SCSI – I have a Lite-on in my backup machine.)

This happens with all the cooling utilities I’ve tried, commercial or freeware, but I still like them for other tasks as having the cool bit turned on reduces my CPU temp by up to 12 deg. C.