Follow Up ? Re: The TY/CMC Announcement

vbimport

In addition to using only TY +'s for my personal discs, I also sell out of copyright films.

I am no longer willing to provide my customers with premium TY discs since they’re going away. I’m going to save any I get for personal use. (barring a HUGE surprise from CMC: i.e. CMC actually producing a quality disc!!)

Can anyone recommend a lower regarded disc that rarely produces coasters for my customers?

The main issue for me is if i have to replace a defective disc, postage & packaging costs me almost $3.00.

Verbatim AZO discs have always been regarded as peers of the TY media.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2767387]Verbatim AZO discs have always been regarded as peers of the TY media.[/QUOTE]

My understanding is that they used to make quality discs, but have severed ties with the plants in Japan & UAE? Each package seems to indicate a different country of manufacture. I’ve read that the Singapore, India & China discs aren’t very good. What country of Verbs would you recommend?

I have not heard of them severing ties to FTI in the UAE. Do you have a source?

CMC Magnetics make Verbatim discs in Taiwan, and those have been reliable through the years, using the Mitsubishi dyes and production techniques. Just make sure to get the AZO variety, not the Life Series.

And the Singapore discs were always the cream of the crop for Verbatim, especially their double layer discs. But I haven’t seen a single layer DVD from Singapore in quite a while.

Never had many issues with Verbatim +R. I can still buy the 8x discs online too.

If you can find the 8x Verbatim DVD+R, they’re most likely going to be older stock and very very good. The 16x should also be decent enough but I have experienced varying quality as you said. They’re still more than acceptable.

Can you stock up on TY now before doomsday hits?

[QUOTE=cd pirate;2767438]Never had many issues with Verbatim +R. I can still buy the 8x discs online too.

If you can find the 8x Verbatim DVD+R, they’re most likely going to be older stock and very very good. The 16x should also be decent enough but I have experienced varying quality as you said. They’re still more than acceptable.

Can you stock up on TY now before doomsday hits?[/QUOTE]

If i can find the money. I’m also in process of moving which is not cheap.

Turns out CMC is doing a+ 8X pro. Part # is T-DPR-ZZ-SB8.

Here’s 2 scans of CMC’s & 1 for comparison with the same source material as the CMC burned 5 minutes later on a JVC.

The CMC’s were pulled from the middle of the cake, as the top couple are usually damaged in any cake box.

Other caveat: on the CMC’s the Manufacturer’s packaging (NOT the retailer’s) was terrible. 1 spacer, & the tape that holds the lid on the cake was 90% off; so the discs probably were jostled pretty badly during shipping. Also, I found the JVC’s varied wildly from batch to batch, but never as bad as the longer of the CMC’s.

1. JVC TY + 8X burned at 4x (my usual for this disc)

2. CMC TY + 8X burned at 4x of the same content

3. CMC TY + 8X burned at 4x smaller amount of content (first burn)

I got a 100 pack of the 8x +R CMC Pro with TY code, this is a burn done with a Pioneer A12XLB.

That last burn above is atrocious towards the end, skip city pretty much but the other test above that looks ok. I haven’t gotten any of the new CMCs yet-when I ordered a spindle, they sent JVCs instead, which is nice, but eventually those will run out and I’ll have to use something else.

I’m also finding that on the one cake of CMC TY pro’s I have; the first 1/2 - 3/4 of the disc is frequently acceptable (or the entire thing if the content is in the 3 gb & under range); the last quarter tends to be unacceptable.

As Each cake of JVC’s tended to vary in quality; I’m not totally ready to form an opinion yet; but I am glad I ordered 500 JVC TY pro’s while they were still available.

On (at least to me) a related issue: something is going on with the superb entry level Corsair slider Flash Drives. They’re likely being discontinued; it’s also possible that they just ran low on stock. Unfortunately, I suspect it’s the first; Amazon now has an exclusive FOR PRIME MEMBERS ONLY on the slower ultra budget Slider X1’s, & it appears Corsair is replacing the “Slider” (no letter) with a much more expensive “Slider X2” with exactly the same specs. I called Corsair, asking if they were discontinuing the model, & was told by 2 departments that it was corporate policy not to comment on product availability. Weird.

I.e. you may want to stock up if you use these drives. They are the only budget Flash drives left that I know of that consistently work well; especially on high bandwidth content…

For those who are still looking for JVC/TY products you can still find some available stock at two on line Greek stores:

1. Disc Impex Hellas : http://www.discimpex.gr/home-en/
  2. E-Shop.gr : http://www.e-shop.gr/optikoi-diskoi

I Hope this will help some of you! Cheers!

The last time I delved, Falcon RAK in the UAE were producing Verbatim discs. At least according to my supplier at the end of last year. I’d imagine they move around a lot, or have more than one factory producing.

I’d be interested in any recommendations anyone has for an alternative. TY pricing for not TY quality is just not going to happen for me.

I bought a cake of CMC/TY 8x +'s a few months back. Based on 1 cake, the quality has deteriorated; especially near the end of the discs. Fortunately I also bought enough JVC TY’s near the end that I Should be set for life.