FM Transmitter USB FLAC?

vbimport

I was wondering if someone could recommend a decent FM transmitter that has a USB port and will play lossless audio files like WAV, FLAC or ALAC. Thanks.

For your home, car, boat, plane, or walking around use?

[QUOTE=yojimbo197;2674728]For your home, car, boat, plane, or walking around use?[/QUOTE]

This would be for my car.

In my experience it’s difficult to find an FM frequency you can use in a larger area without the signal degrading from interference from some station. If you only drive in a limited area or if there are only a limited number of FM stations where you live (Dark Side of the Moon), then it might be possible.

I used to use an FM transmitter solution but ended up buying a new car radio with SD/USB connectivity and a built-in MP3/WMA player instead.

Lossless audio is overkill in the noisy environment of a driving car - a lossy format such as MP3 or WMA is more than good enough for this purpose.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2674758]In my experience it’s difficult to find an FM frequency you can use in a larger area without the signal degrading from interference from some station. If you only drive in a limited area or if there are only a limited number of FM stations where you live (Dark Side of the Moon), then it might be possible.

I used to use an FM transmitter solution but ended up buying a new car radio with SD/USB connectivity and a built-in MP3/WMA player instead.

Lossless audio is overkill in the noisy environment of a driving car - a lossy format such as MP3 or WMA is more than good enough for this purpose.[/QUOTE]

I drive a Volkswagen and on some, they do have a place where you can connect a USB flash drive to it for playing music, and then it uses the Navigation system to play it. Unfortunately, mine doesn’t have this feature.

I mainly want this because I have a Rolling Stones album I purchased from HDTracks which is in 88.2kHz/24 bit Apple Lossless and my iPod Touch apparently won’t play anything above 48kHz/24 bit (didn’t know that before making the purchase). I really would not like to convert it, but I suppose if there really aren’t any good solutions to play it as is in my car, I’ll just burn it to a CD-RW and reimport it as 44.1kHz/16 bit Apple Lossless and it’ll be good enough.

Thanks for your help guys.

I have one of these FM transmitters in my old work truck. It works very well in the wide open spaces of W. Texas, mostly because we have a lot of open channels in the FM band to choose from. It doesn’t work that well in areas with lots of radio stations.

But mine will only play mp3’s, so not a solution for hogger.

Thanks Kerry. Yeah, more or less, I’m just trying to find a way to play my lossless music in the car. iPod won’t do it, so maybe I’m just stuck putting it on a CD and reimporting it for the time being (until they come out with support for >48/24 music on the iPod).

I also saw a program called Rockbox that could play FLAC above 48/24, but they don’t have it available for iPod Touch, only a few of the older iPods as of yet.

EDIT: One other question I have is if there are media players out there like the iPod, than can play stuff like FLAC and those >48/24 lossless formats, that also have as much storage space as something like the 160GB iPod Classic?

One thing that has always ticked me off about Apple, and probably Sony too, is that they require all these goofy formats in order to be compliant.

I use the same type set up as DrageMester in one car. SD/USB connectivity built into the stereo unit. I’ve only used .mp3 with it so I don’t know if it will play .wma .
I’m happy with the sound . One 2GB card holds a lot of good quality .mp3s .
Seperated into album folders they are not too hard to skip through.
I do doubt my stereo is capable of playing a “88.2kHz/24 bit Apple Lossless” format from USB/SD . So no help for hogger129 on that.

[QUOTE=hogger129;2674764]Thanks Kerry. Yeah, more or less, I’m just trying to find a way to play my lossless music in the car. iPod won’t do it, so maybe I’m just stuck putting it on a CD and reimporting it for the time being (until they come out with support for >48/24 music on the iPod).

I also saw a program called Rockbox that could play FLAC above 48/24, but they don’t have it available for iPod Touch, only a few of the older iPods as of yet.

EDIT: One other question I have is if there are media players out there like the iPod, than can play stuff like FLAC and those >48/24 lossless formats, that also have as much storage space as something like the 160GB iPod Classic?

One thing that has always ticked me off about Apple, and probably Sony too, is that they require all these goofy formats in order to be compliant.[/QUOTE]

The Cowon J3 DAP will play FLAC. I know from personal experience it will play 16/44 FLAC tracks. Theoretically, according to its specs, it should play 24 bit 96Khz FLAC files. That being said, the human ear doesn’t hear freq’s above 20-24Khz. So 96Khz is overkill. I have heard a difference in sound quality between 16 bit and 24 bit recordings, but it all depends on the type of music, your headphones or speakers, and your ears. The vast majority of the time 16/44 is perfectly fine for recordings.

The other thing to consider is storage. 24/96 files take up a heck of a lot of space. One concert recorded in 24/96 can easily go 1.5Gb-3.0Gb depending on the length of the individual tracks and concert.

Also, as others have stated, the car is far from an optimal sonic environment. FLAC’s would be wasted in this situation.

Your best bet is to bite the bullet and transcode into mp3. I like 192kb VBR but some people like lower or higher settings.

[QUOTE=yojimbo197;2674782]The Cowon J3 DAP will play FLAC. I know from personal experience it will play 16/44 FLAC tracks. Theoretically, according to its specs, it should play 24 bit 96Khz FLAC files. That being said, the human ear doesn’t hear freq’s above 20-24Khz. So 96Khz is overkill. I have heard a difference in sound quality between 16 bit and 24 bit recordings, but it all depends on the type of music, your headphones or speakers, and your ears. The vast majority of the time 16/44 is perfectly fine for recordings.

The other thing to consider is storage. 24/96 files take up a heck of a lot of space. One concert recorded in 24/96 can easily go 1.5Gb-3.0Gb depending on the length of the individual tracks and concert.

Also, as others have stated, the car is far from an optimal sonic environment. FLAC’s would be wasted in this situation.

Your best bet is to bite the bullet and transcode into mp3. I like 192kb VBR but some people like lower or higher settings.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your input. I think I’m going to just stick with the iPod Touch I have and keep buying CD’s over iTunes AAC audio files. The sound quality is still pretty good when using the Apple Lossless to import CDs, and I think I am going to just burn this Rolling Stones album I have to a CD and reimport it at 44.1kHz/16 bit so I can play it on my iPod.

Sounds “good enough” for me anyway. I’ll just have to keep this 88.2/24 version stored separately on my computer until I need a new portable music player, then I can search for something that can play it.