Fluke or Feature of Nero 5.5.9.0 when Burning .BIN files

vbimport

Hello,

I used Nero 5.5.9.0 to burn a .bin file of a game. It finished OK. When I try to install the game, I see a CRC error at 4% on a .txt file, and then installation aborts.

So next I try FireBurner on the same .bin. (and same CD-R media). It burns OK and the game installs OK.

Was this just a fluke of Nero, or is Nero not so good at burning .bins?

What's a reliable app to burn .bins?

I'm on Win XP Pro if that matters.

Thanks for any info!!!

i’ve never had any problems with nero burning bin/cue’s.
i just select “burn image” in the file menu point it at the cue file and away i go.

but i think cdrwin does do a better job with bin/cue’s

I’ve never had any trouble burning bin/cues with nero either, though I do prefer fireburner for bin/cues.

Thanks for the replies! I think I’m going to stick with FireBurner for now.

Thanks for the tip, Oz!

I’ve used FireBurner for maybe 4-5 burns now and so far no problems.

I’ll keep CDRWin on the ‘backburner’ in case I need it :wink:

I have never had any problems burning cue/bin with nero.
I have had newer Fireburner fail me a few times so i cant recomend that.

what i do recomend it CDRDAO. Its great, its command line but there are GUIs that work perfectly and its FREE.
I use it in 99% of by cue/bin burns and it have never failed me.

of course CDRwin works ok too, failed me ones only. but its not free.

CDRDAO seems good - but why do you keep saying there are plenty of GUIs around! Around for Linux/Unix OS but how about for Windows?

I know it’s free but not everyone is keen on wasting their time with installing Linux and typing in command options.

Originally posted by Truman
CDRDAO seems good - but why do you keep saying there are plenty of GUIs around! Around for Linux/Unix OS but how about for Windows?

There is a gui for Windows called XDuplicator. You can get it here .

That said, I have no idea whether either cdrdao or xduplicator are any good. I’ve never tried either of them.

Nero is fine for burning BIN files, BUT there’re two things to remember

Open the CUE in notepad, if there’re two or more tracks shown, Nero will NOT burn it successfully. Not many BINs have multiple tracks, but some protected games do.

When you go Burn Image, select the BIN file, remember to tick RAW mode. 99% of BIN files uses raw

so you’r no linux man :slight_smile:

the GUI philamber linked to above is the best for win i think.

Originally posted by agzz

I tried cdrdao with x-duplicator for the first time last night. My initial thoughts are that x-duplicator is still very much a beta. It seems to work well in write mode but has a lot of bugs in read mode.

Originally posted by agzz

No…it’s not…:bigsmile:
I know a guy who made a much better 1…:bigsmile:

http://www.burnatonce.co.uk/

Originally posted by roadworker
[B]

No…it’s not…:bigsmile:
I know a guy who made a much better 1…:bigsmile:

http://www.burnatonce.co.uk/ [/B]

Maybe so, but unfortunately only 2000 and xp are supported according to the info page.:frowning:

Originally posted by philamber

Maybe so, but unfortunately only 2000 and xp are supported according to the info page.:frowning:

I know the developer…he told that support is implanted in the latest version… you can find his confirmation under the “support” link …:wink:

Q. burnatonce will not load under Win9x
A. Win9x is not officially supported but this problem has been fixed. Please download the latest version.

@ roadworker

I tried burn at once. Not bad but it only supports writing. Unlike X-Duplicator there’s no support for reading or copying functions of cdrdao.

Either seems to be a reasonable and free alternative for bin/cue burning however.

I suspect that cdrdao is actually quite a powerful and versatile program but the problem with it for an ordinary user is in understanding and using the appropriate commands. Neither the readme files nor the website are very helpful in this regard for anyone who doesn’t have extensive experience in using dos commands. :frowning:

Originally posted by philamber
[B]@ roadworker

I tried burn at once. Not bad but it only supports writing. Unlike X-Duplicator there’s no support for reading or copying functions of cdrdao [/B]

You have to take a better look…;)…Settings–>view settings–>select reader and read options…
Tools–> read cd–>specify the storage path…

If you play a bit more with the gui,you’ll find out that the proggy even can erase cdr-w’s and show disk information…
1 of the next versions will even support audiocd burning from .wav and .mp3 files…keep an eye on this proggy…:bigsmile:

Originally posted by roadworker
[B]

You have to take a better look…;)…Settings–>view settings–>select reader and read options…
Tools–> read cd–>specify the storage path…

If you play a bit more with the gui,you’ll find out that the proggy even can erase cdr-w’s and show disk information…
1 of the next versions will even support audiocd burning from .wav and .mp3 files…keep an eye on this proggy…:bigsmile: [/B]

Ok, I’ll take another look and try again.:bow:

However, just to make sure we’re talking about the same thing, the version I got from the website was burnatonce_0.78.exe. I’ll assume this is the latest version unless you tell me otherwise.

you have to put 0.79 update over it…
Mp3/wav support is not available yet…:slight_smile:

Great, thanks for the links. I never thought there Windows GUIs for CDRDAO. I’ll be using CDRDAO more often now. :slight_smile:

And yes, I’m no linux man - don’t have a reason to be one.