Flight Of The Phoenix DVD

vbimport

I have been playing around with this DVD and there are definitely issues.
This includes 2 different copies of the DVD.
It is a region 1 widescreen dvd. The box has a new logo on it that says “copy protected”.
I experimented using the newest available DVDDeCryptor, AnyDVD, CloneDVD2 & DVDShrink on 2 different machines.
All situations result in problems early into ripping the 06_4.vob file. On my main system, all programs fail on read errors part way into ripping the 06_4.vob file.

On my backup machine, I only have a dvd-rom drive (BTC). It will actually sucessfully rip the 06_4.vob file using DVDDeCryptor, but all attempts to process the resulting ripped file cause program failures part way through the 06_4.vob file (CloneDVD2 & DVDShrink).

Even playing the dvd’s are problematic. They lock-up WinDVD on my main system (part way into chapter 24), then cause the program to jump to chapter 25. On my standalone dvd player, excessive amounts of tiling occurs in a number of places in chapter 24, but it does keep going.

So, either this is another misguided attempt at copy prevention resulting in unplayable (or at least very poor quality) dvd’s - or a bad run of dvd’s have been produced and are showing up in the market place.

I exchanged the first copy of “Flight of the Phoenix” for a replacement due to defects. I am returning the 2nd copy and demanding my money back for the same reason later today.

My advice if you rent or buy this dvd is to check chapter 24 - (the 06_4.vob file) very carefully for flaws and problems. Do not tolerate poor quality products. And - this movie isn’t very good once you get past the exciting plane crash scenes anyway . . . . go for the original Jimmy Stewart version - it is a classic!

I copied the fullscreen region 1… Plays fine no problems

Same here.

I backed UP the widescreen version region 1 no problem with CloneDVD2 2.7.5.1 and AnyDVD 4.5.7.2 and it plays fine on my PC with WindDVD6 and on my standalone players.

“So, either this is another misguided attempt at copy prevention resulting in unplayable (or at least very poor quality) dvd’s - or a bad run of dvd’s have been produced and are showing up in the market place.”

There seems to be more defective original pressed media hitting the streets these days. Some will fool you because the originals play well on your PC and stand alone, but error messages appear when you try to copy.
Once you see that redundancy error appear you’re in trouble, all the cleaning or different software will not permit a successful copy. As soon as as I see that error, I give it a quick clean, if that doesn’t work, back to the store it goes.

Exactly!!! You can spend as much time as you want, and 99% of the time you will still never backup the disc.

Peace and Luv,

DJ Mind

itzbinnice wrote:

There seems to be more defective original pressed media hitting the streets these days.

I wonder if that is really a true statement, and it has always really been that way, or are we just hearing more about it because of Internet forums and/or copying problems.

I have been a music and movie addict for a number of years. I tend to buy newly released titles the week they come out to take advantage of the release day sales prices, even if I know I probably won’t watch it for a number of weeks/months.
With the studios messing around with purposely (or accidentally) inserting read errors adversely effecting playability, I’m thinking I have to change my buying habits, and only buy a title I know I really want, and only if I can test it right away to make sure it is not defective or unsatisfactory. I expect I will buy a lot fewer dvd’s this way. And that is probably good because I was buying too many of them anyway.

I don’t think the studios are inserting these errors on purpose, perhaps a lower quality of media used coupled with poor quality control. If the original plays they don’t care if the owner can copy it or not.

It is true. I’ve come across some DVDs, where the whole serie was faulty (example: The Mask of Zorro, PAL, R2).

I’m sure the makers of dvd’s not only don’t care if someone can make a backup copy of their purchased dvd, but would prefer that we cannot make a copy.
In the case of this “Flight of the Phoenix” region 1 widescreen remake dvd, however, the dvd’s I tried do not play properly either. 2 different copies cannot get through chapter 24 without displaying severe video tiling or actually locking up on any of the players and computers I tried.
I successfully returned the replacement copy of this dvd for a full refund (store credit).

I have had a problem with backing up Flight of the Phoenix.
I tried to clone the complete disc the trailers and such came out perfect sound and picture, but the movie has perfect picture and no sound on the computer. anyone have any ideas as to what happened.

Need help!

Did you uncheck any audio option? If not make sure they are checked.