Flashing Pioneer firmware with Mac

Hello everyone.
Just installed my new Pioneer DVR115D in my Mac Powermac G5. It’s working great, but I see that there’s a firmware update for it (I have 113). I can’t get any of the links to load for either the DVRflash 2.5 or the firmware driver. Can anyone give me good links to get what I need to flash this drive on my Mac? Or does it have to be done on a PC? I read somewhere here that it’s possible with my Mac, but I really don’t want to kill my drive either. Thanks.

Download the update from Pioneer, extract it using unzip or mcstuffit, flash with dvrflash.

2 things: I don’t see any Mac file for the firmware update at Pioneer and I can’t find any working link for DVRflash. Anyone?

lol chef you gotta link for DVDFlash?

[QUOTE=csonni;2048229]2 things: I don’t see any Mac file for the firmware update at Pioneer and I can’t find any working link for DVRflash. Anyone?[/QUOTE]

That is why I posted “download and then extract with mcstuffit etc”!!
The firmwares on pioneer support sites are zipped self-extracting archives, nothing else.

Bob, I’ve upped it to sendspace: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f87/dvrflash-2-1-released-142963/index4.html#post2047061

Thanks for the link to DVRflash. Pioneer’s site gives me no clue on how to find the proper firmware update (1.18). Any link would be much appreciated.

Try:

http://wwwbsc.pioneer.co.jp/cgi-bin/www1/download/file_get_e2.pl?file=DVR115D_FW118EU2.EXE

[QUOTE=chef;2048267]That is why I posted “download and then extract with mcstuffit etc”!!
The firmwares on pioneer support sites are zipped self-extracting archives, nothing else.

Bob, I’ve upped it to sendspace: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f87/dvrflash-2-1-released-142963/index4.html#post2047061[/QUOTE]
ahhh i see now chef

Okay. That’s the one I had downloaded but I thought a .exe won’t work on a Mac. Isn’t that Windows only?

See posts above, its an self-extracting zip file, so use mcstuffit etc to unpack it.

yeah there are 4 files in that package i would imagine with read me files. For DVRFlasher that is.

The bigger firmware file in size is the “normal” firmware, the smaller one is the kernel only (if there is one in the package).

The .exe is now unzipped and I have 2 Unix Executable files (one with an apple logo in it). How do I get it to work with DVRflash? Is there some kind of instruction to follow? What’s the chance of rendering my drive inoperable? Sorry, but I’m a rookie with this.

What is the file name(s)?

Run dvrflash with option -v to see more info about your drive.

This is what I get when running DVRflash:

Commandline:
/Applications/DVRFlash_2.5.1/dvrflash_mac/DVRFlash

Device parameter was not given, detecting all DVR drives:

Device : A:
    Vendor : PIONEER 
     Model : DVD-RW  DVR-115D
  Revision : 1.13

Region : 1
   Changes : 4 region changes remaining
             4 vendor resets remaining
             state is 'Region set'

Now run DVRFlash again, from the command prompt, using
one of the device(s) listed above as first parameter

The Unix files for the firmware update are A0814001.118 and the other one with underscore and an apple.

Please check the mac section at the rpc1.org forum.

The rpc1.org forum link is dead.

[QUOTE=csonni;2048579]The rpc1.org forum link is dead.[/QUOTE]

Nope, if, then its temp down…

run:
dvrflash -v A: