Flashing LG Firmware: PC Speed an issue?

vbimport

Could the speed of the PC be an issue when flashing firmware on an LG drive?

My production machine is a notebook and my LG GSA-4160B normally lives in an external firewire/USB2 enclosure. Not a great firmware-flashing setup.

The only desktop PC I have readily available is a Pentium 233 running Win98. (Hey, it cost me $5.) I’m betting this old thing should be fine for updating the firmware in the LG, but the readme file doesn’t say anything about minimum PC specs. LG could be excused for not considering the possibility that the drive might be installed in a museum piece during an update though, so I’m not entirely comfortable with that.

I can borrow a sexier desktop, but I’d prefer only to risk my own hardware.

Thanks,
boggy

[QUOTE=BoggyScott;2017429]Could the speed of the PC be an issue when flashing firmware on an LG drive?

My production machine is a notebook and my LG GSA-4160B normally lives in an external firewire/USB2 enclosure. Not a great firmware-flashing setup.

The only desktop PC I have readily available is a Pentium 233 running Win98. (Hey, it cost me $5.) I’m betting this old thing should be fine for updating the firmware in the LG, but the readme file doesn’t say anything about minimum PC specs. LG could be excused for not considering the possibility that the drive might be installed in a museum piece during an update though, so I’m not entirely comfortable with that.

I can borrow a sexier desktop, but I’d prefer only to risk my own hardware.

Thanks,
boggy[/QUOTE]

I would persomnally go for a real MS Dos flash but if not then boot into safemode & roll I think you'll be ok in safe mode

It will flash just fine, speed has nothing to do with flashing, just make sure you have it in DMA mode.

How do I square that with this information from the readme file that comes with the firmware install:

“This firmware update is for use only on PC’s with Windows XP, Windows 2000,
Windows Millennium Edition (ME), or Windows 98.”

In fact this old thing used to be a DOS box – I installed Win98SE partly to handle the firmware update operation.

-boggy

Thanks. This is the kind of sanity check I was looking for.

To split a hair, tho… where memory is involved, speed is [I]always[/I] an issue at some level.

-boggy