Flashing Firmware

vbimport

Newbie here:

I have a IOMagic portable DVD writer (the guts are an LG GT10N) which uses an USB connection. The firmware is LG 1.00. Can it be flashed to the Dell A106 firmware or any other firmware? The reason I am asking is that I need to set the booktype to DVD-ROM, which I cannot do currently.

Sorry for the lack of knowledge, but where do i find it but asking the professionals!

Thanks

If you would make a backup of your firmware first and post it here… original firmwares are rare…

the program that can do it is
http://sourceforge.net/projects/flasher/files/

theres a console version and a gui version that is based on gtk

if you going to run the gtk version install the runtime from here.
http://gtk-win.sourceforge.net/home/index.php/en/Home

[QUOTE=devilsclaw;2466539]If you would make a backup of your firmware first and post it here… original firmwares are rare…

the program that can do it is
http://sourceforge.net/projects/flasher/files/

theres a console version and a gui version that is based on gtk

if you going to run the gtk version install the runtime from here.
http://gtk-win.sourceforge.net/home/index.php/en/Home[/QUOTE]

Ok - so downloaded both the GTK runtime, and loaded the dump utility. It will not dump, and gets a “not responding” message.

Could be due to the USB connection?

I’m clueless and not afraid to admit it…

Here is what I did:
Downloaded GTK, downloaded Flasher utility. Installed both. Ran flasher.exe and attempted to dump. Program hangs…No dump file created…

It can take a while to seek out the correct info from the drive and it will get the not responding message during that time… if it takes over 10 minutes in the not responding then i need to find out more info on your drive.

Running it now…I will leave it up for 20 minutes…

Ok - ran it for 20 minutes and still not responding. In task manager it shows it as not responding in the applications tab, but the process tab shows it using CPU and the memory usage keeps growing…

As it is still using CPU and the memory uisage is going up, i will let it run for some more time to see if it generates any thing…What information do you need from the drive from me?

I went and found a firmware update for your drive and its a different type of firmware then what my program currently supports… I will look to see if i can support it or not with this software.

sorry i never anwered your original question but if the guts are what you say they are and its not a special OEM drive then you should be able to flash it just fine.

[QUOTE=devilsclaw;2466940]I went and found a firmware update for your drive and its a different type of firmware then what my program currently supports… I will look to see if i can support it or not with this software.[/QUOTE]

Thanks - where did you find the update? I looked for hours and could not find any other than the update that was for this drive in a Dell computer (A106) which is specific to Dell…

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT10N USB is what the guts are. I opened the enclosure and verified it. It is branded (at least the enclosure is) by I/O magic (model IDVD8P).

all the drives made with the specific specification to make that drive would use the same style to update and flash the drive. so I was able to look at the dell firmware to figure out if i could support it or not. now what the firmware code does is a different story it might interact with the drives servos and stuff differently and render your drive useless…

so it would be very important to get an official firmware before trying to crossflash incase it goes bad.

you should use the drive info program and post the data here so we can find out as much as possible about your drive.

Any specific drive info program I should use?

And the flasher program is still using CPU and is up to 130,000 K of memory according to task manager. Is it stuck in a loop?

And a big thanks for all the help

stop the program its not going to work… and thanks for the info… the program must have a memory leak to keep going up like that… going to have to hunt that down…

this program
http://discinfo.rpc1.org/
for the drive info

Here is the info…

DISCINFO VERSION : 1.7.0 BETA.12
VENDOR : HL-DT-ST
MODEL : DVDRAM GT10N
REVISION : 1.00
VENDOR SPECIFIC : 09/04/17 R2 PL02
LOADING MECHANISM : Tray
SERIAL NUMBER : '<98;:C@
NUMBER VOL. LEVELS : 255
BUFFER SIZE : 2048KB
INTERFACE : ATAPI
RPC2 SCHEME : YES
USER CHANGES : 5
VENDOR CHANGES : 4
CURRENT REGION : Not Set
ANALOG AUDIO PLAY : YES
COMPOSITE OUTPUT : NO
DIGITAL PORT-PORT1 : NO
DIGITAL PORT-PORT2 : NO
READ UPC CODE : YES
MULTISESSION READ : YES
MODE 2 FORM 1 : YES
MODE 2 FORM 2 : YES
READ ISRC CODE : YES
READ BAD CODE : NO
BUFFER UNDER-RUN : YES
MT. RAINIER : NO
CAN READ CDR : YES
CAN READ CDRW : YES
CAN READ CDRM2 : YES
CAN WRITE CDR : YES
CAN WRITE CDRW : YES
CAN TEST WRITE : YES
CAN READ DVD-ROM : YES
CAN READ DVD-R : YES
CAN READ DVD-RW : YES
CAN READ DVD-RAM : YES
CAN READ DVD+R : YES
CAN READ DVD+RW : YES
CAN WRITE DVD-R : YES
CAN WRITE DVD-RW : YES
CAN WRITE DVD-RAM : YES
CAN WRITE DVD+R : YES
CAN WRITE DVD+RW : YES
MAX CDR READ SPEED : 24
MAX CDR WRITE SPEED: 24

The GT10 uses a Panasonic chipset and a typical Panasonic LG firmware, so the Renesas firmware dump commands will not work on your drive.