Flashing External Drives (why so hard?)

vbimport

OK, as far as I can tell by reading and trying it myself, it’s hard if not impossible to do without removing the external drive from the enclosure and installing it as an IDE drive.

This is basically because the drive isn’t recognized when booting into DOS.

However, I KNOW Sony has a way to update the FW on its DRX-500s that involves running a Windows updater. This is much simpler than having to take the HW out and update the FW … why is it no one else uses a Windows updater instead of a DOS updater?

If windows crashes during the flash, the drive will be dead.

Special programming must be done in order for a program to be able to support an external drive. They’re not on the normal primary or secondary channels.

Originally posted by Chriso
If windows crashes during the flash, the drive will be dead.

That I get, but as a programmer, I know it’s just as easy to screw up a DOS program.

Also, Sony doesn’t appear to have an issue using Windows utilities to update their FW …

Originally posted by msanto
[B]

That I get, but as a programmer, I know it’s just as easy to screw up a DOS program.

Also, Sony doesn’t appear to have an issue using Windows utilities to update their FW … [/B]

Well it’s much more ‘easy’ to crash a windows program for the average end-user than a dos program. And not all users can run a dos program so I believe it’s also a choice from the constructors in order to avoid getting their support service flooded… Just an idea.