Flashing AD-5540A from 102C to 2.01?

Hi,

First a thank you for letting me join the forum.

I allready have the next question;

I received a Optiarc AD-5540A yesterday from Dell.
The firmware version shows 102C. Now I want to update it with the 2.01 firmware from Liggy and Dee’s website with Binflash.
Can someone please tell me if it’s save to update from 1 to 2 firmware? Or will it damage my drive?

Thanks in advance;

Rudrood

I highly suggest that you use the latest Binflash and backup your firmware first.
http://binflash.cdfreaks.com/

Also it would be a good idea to upload the file to Liggy & Dee…perhaps reference this thread too.
http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/upload

Getting the 102c firmware would be highly appreciated.
I don’t expect problems with the 2.01 firmware on this drive, but I cannot say for sure without taking a look at the firmware and depending on the firmware, I also might have to check the bootcode.

But it looks like the Optiarc slimline firmwares do not differ between master and slave anymore. There are tools on NEC’s site (and soon on ours too) that allow changing the slimline drives between master and slave.

Well I have just done exactly what you want to do. I upgraded to 2.01 using the tools and firmware from Liggy and Dee’s website on my newly received Dell notebook which has an Optiarc AD-5540A website.
It seems to function just fine. (Anything in particular you want me to check?)

I want to be able to read DVD-RAM so thought I’d upgrade the version.
This still doesn’t work, but there website mentioned a “strategy 1.15” which is suppose to do DVD-RAM. Any idea what a “strategy 1.15” is?

@NickyWicky,

Did your drive also came with firmware 102C?

Thanks;

Rudrood

oops sorry rudwood.
I’m a newbie at this and I don’t know what version I had to start with.

Rudrood - If you haven’t done so, please backup and upload your copy of firmware 102C to Liggy’s site. It will help us know if this is in fact older or newer than the 2.01 because firmware version numbers are deceiving sometimes.

Thanks!

These are the DVD-RAM MID’s supported by the 2.01 firmware. If it’s not on the list, then you might be SOL (sorry outta luck).

It would have been nice if you backed up the stock firmware because it may have been newer. :doh:

DVD-RAM supported media types: 11

MXL16 5x
MXL17 2x
MXL7 2x
MXL8 3x
MatsushitaM01J000ÿ 2x
MatsushitaM01J3004 3x
MatsushitaM01J300ÿ 3x
MatsushitaM01J500ÿ 5x
Optodisc T 3x
Prodisc Lot1A 2x
RITEK M02 3x

thanks,
I just run DVD identifier to see what it thinks my DVD-RAM discs are.
I think I am really SOL because the check-box for DVD_RAM capabilities for the drive itself is greyed out. And so (i guess) it cannot ID the DVD-RAM disc at all. It just says “Medium not present” [02/3A/00].

I think I’m gonna buy a AD-7540 or 7543 as it seems pretty good apart from the DVD-RAM thing.

The 554x drives do NOT support DVD-RAM - even though the strategies are available in these drives’ firmwares.

Liggy - I see that you have posted the 102C firmware (thanks to whoever uploaded). Are both of these firmwares master ones or does that not matter with the Optiarc slimline drives anymore?

Thanks for the correction on the DVD-RAM thingy…silly me, didn’t even look up the drive specs. :o

Hi Liggy,

Is this my backup firmware?

Any news? As far as I can see at the strategy it looks newer.

Thanks for the work;

Rudrood

I have to admit, that I don’t remember exactly who sent me this firmware :o

From what I can see Optiarc slimline drive firmwares do not differ between master and slave anymore. You can just use the available tools to change the drives to normal and reverse ATA.

[quote=Liggy;1626476]Getting the 102c firmware would be highly appreciated.
I don’t expect problems with the 2.01 firmware on this drive, but I cannot say for sure without taking a look at the firmware and depending on the firmware, I also might have to check the bootcode.[/quote]

http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/en/upload doesn’t like my login - keeps saying I still have to login to the main page or the forum. Was going to upload the 103C firmware I have on the 5540A I got recently with my Dell laptop to see if it’s worth changing to 2.01 as well.

[QUOTE=MoonMad;1928764]http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/en/upload doesn’t like my login - keeps saying I still have to login to the main page or the forum. Was going to upload the 103C firmware I have on the 5540A I got recently with my Dell laptop to see if it’s worth changing to 2.01 as well.[/QUOTE]
Looks like I will have to add my own login routine for some reason. No idea why the forum login is not populated. :confused:

But I already have the 103C firmware on my harddisc, I just didn’t find time to work on it.

[quote=Liggy;1929023]Looks like I will have to add my own login routine for some reason. No idea why the forum login is not populated. :confused:

But I already have the 103C firmware on my harddisc, I just didn’t find time to work on it.[/quote]

Hi Liggy!

Just read all that stuff here and know I have one or two questions:

I use a Dell Optiarc AD-5540A with the 1.02 firmware on it. Last week I bought some new DVD-R discs from Intenso and the drive wouldn’t start to write anything on it!

Would updating the firmware to yours 2.01 fix this problem? Dell doesn’t offer any new firmware versions yet and they told me to buy some other DVDs… not really helpfully.

thx for your help!

Bernhard

I just backed up my 1.03C Dell firmware. It’s the original one thhat came with the PC, so no bitsetting :frowning:

http://www.mediafire.com/?dp2dmr0js0x

Thx! :slight_smile: