Flashing a USB drive

Hi. I have a LaCie Porsche DVD±R drive, which is a NEC ND-2500A in a box with a USB2 interface and power supply - because I’m running it off a laptop.
I’ve successfully flashed it to NEC 1.07. I’d like to flash it to Herrie’s 1.07v2b4. If something goes wrong with the drive, and I need warranty service, I’ll need to flash it back to official NEC firmware.
Is there a tool that will enable me to backup the existing firmware?
Can I flash NEC 1.07 to it after I’ve flashed Herrie’s 1.07v2b4?
My problem is - using pure DOS mode, the USB2 drivers don’t work, so I have no access to the drive. I’m using an Adaptec USB2 connect for notebooks PC card, in cardbus mode.
Any ideas?

PW

i have a usb2.0 enclosure also and i have a removable floppy drive the i use to flash in dos but the herrie’s firmware that i have used, has been able to flash in windows. so i haven’t had any problems with the flashing method. if i’m not mistaken, you can reflash the drive to the original firmware if for any reason you need to return it. you can probably find that on NEC’s official website. i’ve flashed between Herrie’s fw alot and have had no problem’s with that method.

Thanks Rockscott. Had my suspicions it would be all right. Although the warnings from NEC that their firmware 1.07 will only upgrade 1.06 - nothing else - are a concern.
Adaptec don’t have DOS drivers for the USB2 PC card - so trying to access the drive in DOS isn’t possible.
I was able to upgrade the firmware from NEC; even though it said not to use the upgrade on the USB version of the drive.
I’m not interested in dual layer burning, or bitsetting… all I want is DVD’s that can be properly read in my home DVD player. I have my suspicions that the Ritek G04 blanks are a problem… burnt 2 DVD’s, both unable to be read back by the NEC 2500 that wrote them, but both can be read by my (2 year old) Toshiba SD2502 laptop DVD ROM; and both cut out, froze and generally farted around in my home DVD player.
I’ve never known any drive that couldn’t read back what it wrote… no matter how bad the media. So I returned it, now I’m waiting for its replacement.
Pity not all drives read as well as my old Toshiba… depressing that a brand-new, supposed high-quality drive can have its ass kicked by a beaten-up two year old laptop drive.

PW

Well, got the new drive. Tried burning a couple of ISO images, worked perfectly. Read them back and everything, and they played in my home LG DVD player.
However after flashing the firmware to Herrie’s 1.07 v2 beta 4, I ended up with a coaster. More likely due to the big wad of dust on the DVD than the firmware, however. Removed the dust, and there’s a little light spot on the DVD showing the laser didn’t cut through it. I’ll try again.
Gotta redo my images anyways, it seems my DVD player doesn’t like AC3 audio mixed with mp2 - it’ll play one or the other, not both. I’ll use besweet GUI to convert to AC3 and start again. Pity I deleted the DVD files; I’ve gotta compress from the start again, using D2SRob1A and then re-author with TMPGEnc DVD author… I’m doing 4 by 45 minute episodes per DVD. It might take a while for 12 episodes.

PW