Flashing a NEC nd-6500A, questions?

Before I flash my drive I have a few questions.

I have a HP notebook with a SLIM ND-6500A SL and want to flash it to a DL. I have read the F.A.Q, and still have questions. I don’t believe it is rebranded it shows up as a NEC ND-6500A not an HP 420i. I don’t have access to a desktop tower with IDE until this weekend. I am going with the original.bin so no RCP1 or ripspeed changes. I can’t find the help that was mentioned in Dextroz’s post. I have tried to do the research myself, I am an experienced user but I would still qualify myself a novice. With the dangers involved I want to double check I am doing this right.

1. Does it matter if the drive is rebranded if I am going to flash with TDB?

2. According to “dextroz” he flashed his Dell drive with to the TDB 2.40 firmware. When on the site the firmware is labeled 2.40 (Fuji-Siemens) TDB Windows Flasher. Should I use this one or one of the following: 2.22 TDB Windows Flasher, 2.23 TDB Windows Flasher, and 203D (DELL) TDB Windows Flasher or should I use Liggy’s?

3. When I use Nero Infotool if the firmware given is 2.XX I can use TDB 2.XX or Liggy’s 2.XX but if it Nero says 4.XX I need to use Liggy’s 4.XX firmware?

4. Do I still need to get a slimline to IDE converter or have they managed to flash the drive while still in the notebook?

5. To flash I want to confirm the following steps.

[ol]
[li]Using a slim to IDE plug the 6500A into the desktop, plug in, start the computer, let the computer install drivers.[/li][li]Run Liggy’s Bootcode Flasher, this will put the 6500A into Slave mode. The firmware to set to slave is included with the program no separate files are needed.[/li][li]Restart the computer[/li][li]Run TDB Original.exe, or binflash and select Liggy’s Firmware_original.bin[/li][li]The Drive will be a master drive and I can now shut down and put drive back into notebook.[/li][/ol]

Thanks in advance for your help.

I recommend using my Binflash over TDB’s flasher for one simple reason. TDB’s flasher does not check whether bootcode and main firmware can work together. If you flash a 4.xx firmware to a drive that has a bootcode for 2.xx you will probably never be able to flash your drive again.

If the drive is currently recognized properly by your laptop (could not find out about that by reading your post), you should NOT switch between 2.xx and 4.xx firmwares because this will probably lead to an unrecognized drive and requires you to flash back in a desktop PC with IDE adapter.

[QUOTE=Liggy;2121042]I recommend using my Binflash over TDB’s flasher for one simple reason. TDB’s flasher does not check whether bootcode and main firmware can work together. If you flash a 4.xx firmware to a drive that has a bootcode for 2.xx you will probably never be able to flash your drive again.

If the drive is currently recognized properly by your laptop (could not find out about that by reading your post), you should NOT switch between 2.xx and 4.xx firmwares because this will probably lead to an unrecognized drive and requires you to flash back in a desktop PC with IDE adapter.[/QUOTE]

The drive is working properly in my laptop. Much to my chagrin, when I ran Infotool yesterday I discovered my drive had been upgraded to dl under my nose and is firmware 2.28. I am going to run a test after my DL discs arrive, to check and see what the write speed is with the 2.28 firmware. But if it becomes convenient to flash downgrade to 2.25 I will definitely use binflash since it does a capability check.

Liggy, I appreciate your help. Thank you for personally helping me.

Could you please dump the 2.28 firmware and send it to me? eMail address will be sent via PM.