Flashing a NEC ND-6100A

Greetings all, I am a noob here and am a little confused on how to go about flashing my NEC ND-6100A to a 6500.

My current machine is a Dell Inspiron 9100 running XP. My internal drive is a NEC DVD+RW ND-6100A which came with the machine. I recently began trying to back up my DVD collection using DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink and AnyDVD. The problem I am having with my drive is that I can’t create DVD-ROM’s which I was hoping to do. After some research I found that I need to flash my current drive to a 6500a but I am just not 100% sure on how to do that.

Before I do the wrong thing and mess up my drive I would like to get some info from those of you who have done this or helped others.

I found the following links but am unsure if its what I need:
Binflash Is this what I need to use to flash my drive?

Is one of these the FirmWare I need to flash to? If so which one?

What about this site I found, is one of these the correct FW versions? http://www.micheldeboer.nl/firmware/6500.html

Sorry for such a long post, I just wanted to get this right and not destroy my burner. Thanks in advance :smiley:

No burner can create DVD-ROMs, they are pressed.
Probably you meant DVD+R with booktype DVD-ROM.

What is the firmware on your drive (find it out by using DVDInfo or Nero Infotool)?

chef, your right, I ment DVD+R with booktype DVD-ROM. My current 6100a can’t do that which is why I am thinking about flashing to 6500a.

As for the firmware, I am not sure where I can download either of those programs for free so any help in that would be great. I do have DVD Identifier on my CPU and this is what comes up in the D drive: _NEC DVD +RW ND-6100A [FW 104D]

thanks again for the help

Bump…anyone?

You can use a TDB package to crossflash your drive to an 6500: http://tdb.rpc1.org/#ND6500A

Thank you chef for your help. So is this the correct way to go about this? Like I said I want to be 100% sure I am doing this correctly :slight_smile:

-Create a backup copy of my current firmware using Binflash (which version do I use with XP?)

-Download TBD package from link above and run. (which one would be better the DOS version or Windows? I am guessing I need to install the 203D (DELL) package correct?)

Is that all that needs to be done? I am not familiar with DOS so if that is the better way to go any help (link to a how to maybe?) would be great.

Thanks again!

Use the GUI w32 version of Binflash and make a dump of the current fw.

then use TDBs windows flasher with the 203 DELL firmware and flash your drive.
Make sure that there is no media in the drive and the power doesn’t went off during flashing. :wink: