Flashed Samsung DVD Burner with wrong file

vbimport

Hello,

I recently decided to buy a new 200 GB HDD for my laptop thinking all the re-installing would be worth the gain of having new disk space…

Unfortunately, I flashed my TSST TS-L632D DVD Burner with the TS-L632H instead of the TS-L632D .bin file. :eek:

SFDNWIN allowed me to open the file and flash the drive, it didn’t complete and the DVD drive has not been found ever since.

I tried both XSF and mtkflash after booting to DOS from a USB HDD.

XSF does not move at all after the second screen (ENTER does not seem to start the flash, the only thing that works is F10 [exit]).

mtkflash shows the progress indicator 11 times, but remains at 00%.

I have tried keeping the eject button pressed on startup and also inserting the drive after booting to DOS but to no avail.

Are there any more options or do I have to get another DVD drive ?

And will the manufacturer notice this and void the guarantee ?

Any help is appreciated.

Pan

I would ask Codeking or liggy if that fails then you need a new drive
oh well you live and you learn
new drives are only $25.00 to $45.00
if you don’t flash your drive then you will never learn, right & you gotta learn somehow

I can’t reach codeKing because he doesn’t accept any mails.

Could you send the 2 of them a link to my post ?

Would be great.

I’ve transferred this to the CD Freaks Samsung burners subforum, where you should get excellent help.

Hi and Welcome![quote=Pan334;2045569]
Unfortunately, I flashed my TSST TS-L632D DVD Burner with the TS-L632H instead of the TS-L632D .bin file. :eek:[/quote]so you have forced the flashing process, since normally the Samsung flasher will refuse to work if drive and firmware don’t fit.

SFDNWIN allowed me to open the file and flash the drive,
I can’t believe that. Either you have used the “-NOCHECK” parameter, or you were using an OEM flasher, that has the hardware check disabled (I can’t imagine this either).

Additionally, there are lots of L632H firmwares that are incompatible since the CableSelect settings are different. This might be the reason, why you can’t detect your drive at all.

it didn’t complete and the DVD drive has not been found ever since.
Either you flashed a firmware with wrong CSEL settings (then there might be some hope) or you killed your drive entirely.

Are there any more options or do I have to get another DVD drive?
Get an Slim-to-IDE adapter and install the drive in a desktop computer. Try to flash the original firmware using sfdnwin and the “-NOCHECK” commandline switch. If this doesn’t help either, you’ll have to buy a new drive.

And will the manufacturer notice this and void the guarantee?
If they check further, they’ll find out that someone (=the user) has messed with the firmware and will refuse to repair the computer under warranty. The bill will be higher than the price for a new drive.

Michael

[quote=mciahel;2046574]Hi and Welcome!so you have forced the flashing process, since normally the Samsung flasher will refuse to work if drive and firmware don’t fit.
I can’t believe that. Either you have used the “-NOCHECK” parameter, or you were using an OEM flasher, that has the hardware check disabled (I can’t imagine this either).[/quote]

Hello, I would consider my knowledge of flashing DVD drives at “novice” as this was the first drive I ever flashed so far. I had 3 files to work with, a .bin file for XP for the 632D (the right file) a .bin file for Vista for the 632D and a .bin file for XP for the 632H (both the wrong files).

The 632D XP file executed and finished, the Vista file did not execute and resulted in an error but the XP file for the wrong drive (632H) executed and got stuck at 99%. So your theory that all this could not happen is wrong - sadly.

I did not use any parameters or software other than the SDFWIN that was included in the package by the laptop vendor.

Additionally, there are lots of L632H firmwares that are incompatible since the CableSelect settings are different. This might be the reason, why you can’t detect your drive at all.
Either you flashed a firmware with wrong CSEL settings (then there might be some hope) or you killed your drive entirely.
Get an Slim-to-IDE adapter and install the drive in a desktop computer. Try to flash the original firmware using sfdnwin and the “-NOCHECK” commandline switch. If this doesn’t help either, you’ll have to buy a new drive.

Sorry, but I don’t have a clue what CSEL means as well.

In any case, the drive costs $ 40 and the vendor will send out a new one tomorrow without me having to send back the old one (as it is far too cheap to be repaired).

Thanks for the reply though there were a few surprises even for you…

If they check further, they’ll find out that someone (=the user) has messed with the firmware and will refuse to repair the computer under warranty. The bill will be higher than the price for a new drive.

Michael

Hi,[quote=Pan334;2046862]
I did not use any parameters or software other than the SDFWIN that was included in the package by the laptop vendor. [/quote]This is very interesting. Could you please provide some information, where I can get this package (including that particular sfdnwin version) from?

Sorry, but I don’t have a clue what CSEL means as well.
Sorry for haveing used too much abbreviations. Classic drives have jumpers for configuration. These can be set to Master, Slave or Cable Select (CSEL) position. CSEL means, the drive’s Master/Slave setting is determined by its position on the cable.
Notebook drives don’t have such jumpers, so the configuration is part of the firmware. That’s why there are two different firmwares for the same drive, and flashing the wrong version will cause that the drive won’t be accessible any more. Similar applies to OEM firmwares provided by notebook manufacturers. Most drives are configured as “Master”, but some notebook manufacturers prefer the Slave configuration.

In any case, the drive costs $ 40 and the vendor will send out a new one tomorrow without me having to send back the old one (as it is far too cheap to be repaired).
This is a good solution. Glad to have such a happy end :slight_smile:

Thanks for the reply though there were a few surprises even for you…
Indeed, this sfdnwin version without hardware check IS a big surprise. :iagree:

Michael

…Could you please provide some information, where I can get this package (including that particular sfdnwin version) from?..
While [I]Pan334[/I] is away, you could check out firmwares here. :wink:
[I](Edited by mciahel: link removed, I don’t want unexperienced users to get firmware and possibly modified flashers from untrusted sources)[/I]

Warning though playing around with some of the L632H flashers/firmwares, they will try to flash any drive (manufacturer). :rolleyes:
Even my LG slimdrive beauty.

[I]Edited. [/I]Ehh…, forgot to tell mciahel that extracted files reside in C:\Temp folder.

[QUOTE=pinto2;2047511]While [I]Pan334[/I] is away, you could check out firmwares here. :wink:

Warning though playing around with some of the L632H flashers/firmwares, they will try to flash any drive (manufacturer). :rolleyes:
Even my LG slimdrive beauty.[/QUOTE]Thank you for the link pinto2 :flower:

[quote=pinto2;2047511]While [I]Pan334[/I] is away, you could check out firmwares [U]here[/U]. :wink:

Warning though playing around with some of the L632H flashers/firmwares, they will try to flash any drive (manufacturer).[/quote]So this was not a good idea to post that link here :cop: I edited your post accordingly.
If Pan got his firmware from there or similar sources, it was his own fault then.
I personally was interested to know if there were reliable sources like OEMs who might offer such kind of flashers.

[I]Edited. [/I]Ehh…, forgot to tell mciahel that extracted files reside in C:\Temp folder.
Do you really think, this is unknown to me?
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f105/howto-flash-firmware-samsung-dvd-writer-231217/

@mciahel. :smiley:

[I]Off topic[/I].
Don’t think I really care about removed links now that rpc1 is down… :bigsmile:

Okay… :flower:
(Thanks mciahel, I like the edited and remove of link post better now, while browsing other forums for an hour or two.)

I personally was interested to know if there were reliable sources like OEMs who might offer such kind of flashers.
Think Dell used the same flasher (3.27.xx.x). Note, this is just a hint messaged to me from one of my friends with a Dell Inspiron 17xx laptop.

pinto2 i wouldn’t worry about it. C0deKings site is down more than up any more he he

Bob, think we all forgot this alternative page, from time to time. :slight_smile:

[I]Adding[/I]. My son keeps telling me, when every thing elses fails, refresh browser. :bigsmile:

[quote=pinto2;2047593]Think Dell used the same flasher (3.27.xx.x). Note, this is just a hint messaged to me from one of my friends with a Dell Inspiron 17xx laptop.[/quote]Well, this is something, I can verify this evening. I should have that flasher lying around on the HDD of my Dell Vostro.
But it would be really strange if big OEMs like Dell offer firmware flashers that have the “hardware” check disabled :confused:

Michael

[QUOTE=pinto2;2047608]Bob, think we all forgot this alternative page, from time to time. :slight_smile:

[I]Adding[/I]. My son keeps telling me, when every thing elses fails, refresh browser. :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]yeah i have that link but he hasn’t update it until just yesterday. I still haven’t tried all the links there but all the newer drives stuff was not there 2 days ago.

Could you please continue your off-topic discussion in the LR or use PM instead?
It is absolutely not polite towards the users that come here and want help.
Further off-topic posts in this thread will be deleted without notification. :cop:

mciahel what is off topic. The files at C0dekings site are down and same with the whole rpc1 site.

Delete my posts then i have no problem with that…

[quote=pinto2;2047593]
Think Dell used the same flasher (3.27.xx.x). Note, this is just a hint messaged to me from one of my friends with a Dell Inspiron 17xx laptop.[/quote]The flasher that comes with Dell OEM TS-L632H D400 (3.27.13) refuses to load any other firmware. This is, what I expected.

EDIT:

mciahel what is off topic. The files at C0dekings site are down and same with the whole rpc1 site.

RPC1.org is down” is not the topic of this very thread. Definitely not.