Flashed DRW-6S160P to SHW-160P6S

vbimport

Hello. I’m a new poster here. I just got a Nexxtech-branded DRW-6S160P and was disapointed by it’s performance with my DVD media (CMC MAG M01 and CMC MAG E01, which make up the vast majority of what I find around my neiborhood). I searched google for firmware, after finding nothing from Nexxtech, and found that some people here suspected that the DRW-6S160P was the same drive as the LiteOn SHW-160P6S.

Since I’d already decided to return the drive, I went ahead and force-fed it the latest SHW-160P6S firmware (version PS0B). I had to use FlashFix ( http://digi.rpc1.org/flashfix.htm ) and ignored FlashFix’s error about the filesize being out of the specified range (I assumed that was 'cause it was expecting version PS0A and hadn’t been updated for PS0B).

It appears to have worked and the result so far is a night-and-day difference in writing quality on my media! The E01 went from pathetic to pristine and the M01 went from inconsistent to consistantly decent, so it seems.

-Nathan G.

Hi and Welcome!

So you can’t return the drive any more. Your warranty is void.

I had to use FlashFix ( http://digi.rpc1.org/flashfix.htm ) and ignored FlashFix’s error about the filesize being out of the specified range (I assumed that was 'cause it was expecting version PS0A and hadn’t been updated for PS0B).
Flashfix doesn’t support the newer firmware releases from Liteon/Sony. The warning should not be ignored unless you want a stylish doorstop or a motor driven coffee cup holder.
Either get already patched firmware from the codeguys (just check out the big firmware thread) or an old version (these still work with Flashfix) and then go straight ahead with official firmwares from the Liteon website…

It appears to have worked and the result so far is a night-and-day difference in writing quality on my media!
You were very lucky then. The risk of killing the drive was rather high.

Enjoy your “new” DVD writer :slight_smile:
Michael

I know it voids the manufacurer’s warrenty, but what would’ve happened if I’d returned it to the retail store where I bought it, which has a no-questions-asked return policy?

I know it was risky and that I was lucky. Normally, I would not have attempted such a thing, especially after the FlashFix warning. I figured that, in my case, I had nothing to lose.

Then they would have accepted the drive back but they might start asking questions latter on if too many people do
the same thing and then return their drives after killing them. :doh:

CDF members used to say prices would go up bla bla if people started mis flashing drives and returning them but the prices have come down now so i guess that’s not the problem. So it’s your conscience.

[I]off topic[/I]

Members telling this? I think mostly firmware modders because they must cover their backs. :bigsmile:

Regarding prices. Reason for nowdays low prices are; mass production, few products and cheap labor (China).
Look at Lite-On, three+ drive models out of one drive (BenQ DW1800 not counted), mass production in low wages country China.

BTW, my DW1640 is still collecting dust after unsuccessful “upgrade” attemt to DW1650. :o

You know what i mean pinto2 :wink: and great analogy.