Flash your Mediatek chip drive (eg Liteon) with binary firmware in Windows!

Introducing: MtkWinFlash

This Windows utility will flash any Mediatek-chip based ATAPI drive.
It supports all single-file firmware in BIN and HEX format.

Read all about it, get it if you like right here

And don’t forget to have fun :cool:

Yep, I can confirm that this works very well. You may have a problem getting the drive to show up in the drop down. This seems to happen most often with users running Windows XP and more than one MTK based drive. Try it out guys and enjoy. Thanks Digi!

Thanx, Mango ! :wink:

You may have a problem getting the drive to show up in the drop down. This seems to happen most often with users running Windows XP and more than one MTK based drive.

i guess i fall into that category :(. on a side note, does mtkwinflash retain mtkflash’s ability to revive misflashed drives?

Originally posted by AZImmortal
i guess i fall into that category :(. on a side note, does mtkwinflash retain mtkflash’s ability to revive misflashed drives?
It’s no big deal, close and start it once or twice and it will show your drive. It’s not as if you need to flash every 10 min :wink:
As for reviving dead drives, no. Please read the Limitations at my page.

As Mango posted over at cdrlabs.com

Originally posted by dimitri
Ian, here’s the list of Limitations in comparison to MtkFlash:

1. Can’t extract firmware from drives
  2. Drive must be recognized by Windows, so you can’t flash a “dead” drive.
  3. Must have a single file binary. Firmware that comes in 2 separate files can’t be flashed."
    I didn’t write Mtkwinflash and if I could credit it to anyone, I would have gladly done so.

i tried closing/opening the program several times, but no dice :(. maybe some higher being doesn’t want me to flash my drive in windows :p.

Mango;

I’m running Win XP with 2 burners - an AOpen 1232pro and a Lite-on 32123S. MtkWinFlash can’t see either drive and I’ve tried a half dozen times or more

I also tried running MtkWinFlash in Win98 compatability mode but got an error message that the load of Fidevxd.vxd failed.

Any suggestions???

Thanks;

Stan

Thanks for reporting guys :cool:
I’m sorry it doesn’t work for you AZImmortal and sbrage. There’s obviously some problem here. Before I posted it I have tested it with the help of a couple of friends over a coule of weeks. We got some hickups, but always could flash.
I have no suggetions for the moment, “fide.sys” is the suspect and we’re looking into it.

Cheers

I’ve launched MtkWinFlash (XP + SP1) and it has discovered my two burners :

LTR-12101B which is not a mediatek based burner
LTR-32123S which is a mediatek based burner

Just to let you know
Sergio

And something weird/funny!!!

I have 3 drives. A dvd, a cdrom and a cdrw.
I have a Sony CRX220E1 flashed with a LiteOn firmware (Sony ID tag). The program cannot find the cdrw. Most of the times nothing shows in the dropdown menu. While other times it shows my… cdrom Teac 540E :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Sorry for the newbie question but it wasn’t stated - Should I use ATAPI mode or IDE mode? What are the differences?

Also, does the drive have to be on the on-board primary/secondary IDE channel? I have mine connected to a PCI ATA133 Controller card based on the Sil0680 controller chipset. Will that work?

Thanks!

Here is a question form someone who already has a dead burner. I got myself a new burner and I’m a bit sceptic on flashing. I have two DVD-drives in my system, a pioneer A05 (for burning) and a LITEON 165-H (came originally with the system). I actually don’t want to screw up my pioneer drive, but am willing tot take a risk witht the LITEON. I want to rip the dvd’s that i want to backup faster as now, so I want to remove the max reading speed of my LITEON. Does the (hacked) firmware of mango do that?

Thanx in advance

What in the heck are you talking about?

There is no hacked Lite-ON firmware since AFAIK there is no rip speed limit on their drives. Neither MTK WinFlash nor mtkflash work with the Pioneer drive.

Sorry…didn’t know it was already at max speed. Just trying to speed up the process of backing up my DVD’s…

As for my pioneer, it died after i ran the official flash from pioneer. Couldn’t revive it any more…