Flash firmware

where can i find a step by step guide to flashing my firmware (I have a liteon 40125s and want to flash it so i can backup key2audio) not worried about upgrading to a 48x as i never burn at 40x anyway . its just simply to get the better of key2audio…
thanks to any replys

tried sticky but its a dead link for some reason

All the stickys works, checked just now. So go ahead and read the MTKFlash guide.

Or, you can use the new Flashfix utility and patch the firmware that you want and then flash your drive from Windows :slight_smile:
Do a search on flashfix and you’ll find it.

is there not a step by step as i get lost in that post its got all different things in it.

First make a boot diskette on a w9x/me/dos computer to use to boot the computer since these tricks must be done in real DOS.

Download mtkflash version 1.55 here.

Unzip mtkflash to the floppy disc or to a FAT16/32 formatted drive.

Now make sure that the drive that you are going to read the firmware from/write firmware to is connected to the main IDE controller and not to a secondary IDE controller card, also make sure that your drive is NOT configured as cable select(set it to either Master or Slave). Also write down/remember how it’s connected.

Boot your computer from the diskette containing the system files and make sure that NO CD-ROM drivers is loaded.

To backup your firmware type:

MTKFLASH “x” R /B /M filename.bin

Where “x” is a number from 1 to 4:

1: Primary master
2: Primary slave
3: Secondary master
4: Secondary slave

R is for Read out the firmware
/B is to save the firmware as a binary file
/M is to Merge the whole firmware into one file.
filename.bin is just an example, name your file so it will be easy to find back. I use the firmware version as the name like firmware version XS0U will be xs0u.bin. Don’t have the filename longer than 8 characters + bin extension.

The readout process will take a while depending on the flashrom size, the flashrom is normally 128k, 256k or 512k. So just be patient. Note that it’s counting from 0% to 100% several times!

To flash a drive:

MTKFLASH “x” W /B filename.bin

Where “x” is a number from 1 to 4:

1: Primary master
2: Primary slave
3: Secondary master
4: Secondary slave

W is to write a firmware to the flashrom.
/B is to tell the program that the input file is a binary file.
filename.bin is just an example. Write the name of your firmware file here.

This will again take some time, do not reboot, switch power off or something while the flash is in progress. Note that it’s counting from 0% to 100% several times!

for a start im running xp pro ntfs file format in the computer my writer is installed is this a problem.
I have another computer running windows 98se but man its old
can i still go ahead with this set up

thanks for your input

ok found this on liteon web site
<Firmware Upgrade Program Run Under Windows
Make sure your drive’s model name by inspecting the safety label on top of your drive.
Download the ZIP file with correct model name.
Please unzip the downloaded ZIP file.
Please close all applications under Windows.
Please make sure to keep power supplier without any interruption during upgrade.
Execute the firmware upgrade execution file.
Select the drive you want to upgrade ( if you have more than one LITE-ON drives ).
Upgrading (No power interruption).
Reboot your PC to see if the firmware has been changed. >

this way seems easer am i correct and you dont have to change your drive to the main ide controller and it seems you can do it with your drivers still installed

im getting confused
liteon 40125s
dont want to make it a 48x only want the new firmware so i can backup key2audio

also it does not say anything about patching firmware

Here’s a step by step guide for you to update your firmware:

[ol]
[li]Download and run the Windows Updater ZS0P.
[/li][/ol]

it cant be as easy as that can it(just download that file and run it )

Originally posted by red lion
it cant be as easy as that can it(just download that file and run it )

If you are only updating your firmware, then yes it can be that easy.

So basically the other post by airhead is for overcloacking(40x to 48x etc then)

The post by Airhead is a method to flash any firmware, like when flashing one typoe of drive with another drive’s firmware. Windows flashers wont allow this. If you only want to update your drives firmware, then you can use the Windows Flashers from Liteonit.com

Thanks for your input and bearing with me did it just now and it worked . I was getting a bit worried about the other way as it seemed a bit complex(for me anyway)

thanks again

my liteon is the secondary master. i guess i’ll have to make it the primary slave.

which files would I want to be sure (do you have names of each) to not put cd rom things on the floppy?

thanks