Flash Firmware or not?

vbimport

G’day
I have a Pioneer 108 DL and never had a problem with it. This burner, however, does not support DVD +R DL. My question to the gurus is: would flashing firmware ad support for DVD + R DL?
I have read many treads about people that ruined their burners by flashing firmware. I always said “If it works don’t fixit. What do you guys advice.
Thank you

John

Hmmm… I’m not sure what you’re asking here.

Your Piodata DVR-108DX supports burning DVD+R DL media at up to 4x as far as I can tell by looking at the drive specifications.

The Pioneer DVR-108D also supports burning DVD+R DL media at up to 4x.

I think it may be possible to cross-flash from one firmware to the other, but what exactly is it you want to accomplish?

If what you want is support for some of the newer DVD+R DL media, you should in my opinion instead buy a newer drive.

Sorry about the typo, but I meant to say: I want the drive to support and burn DVD - R DL media.

John

I don’t see any mention of DVD-R DL support in the firmware change log for this drive series, so I think the answer is No.

You might get some other improvements in burn speed and supported CD/DVD media by upgrading to newer firmware, however.

Thank you for your reply DrageMester.
A mew Pioneer 115DBK is about $AU29 so I think that’s the way to go.

Thanks Cobber

John

Unless you know you need DVD-R DL, or you already have some DVD-R DL, I would use DVD+R DL instead since it’s a bit more compatible with DVD players.

For pure data (not DVD Video) it probably doesn’t matter whether it’s DVD+R DL or DVD-R DL.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2134066]Unless you know you need DVD-R DL, or you already have some DVD-R DL, I would use DVD+R DL instead since it’s a bit more compatible with DVD players.

For pure data (not DVD Video) it probably doesn’t matter whether it’s DVD+R DL or DVD-R DL.[/QUOTE]

I do not really need DVD -R DL. I have two DVD players side by side, I can quickly connect either one to the TV. One can play DVD + R DL and the other can’t. That was the only reason. I’ll keep the old Piodata 108 I never had a problem with it. If I ever made a toster it was my fault.

Thanks

John