"Flash cmd fail" error when attempting to flash SH-222A with SB02 F/W

vbimport

I’m having an unusual problem when I try to flash my firmware in my Samsung SH-222A DVD burner, I keep getting a ‘Flash cmd fail’ error message, I’ve tried using both Tsdnwin.exe and sfdnwin.exe to flash it using a patched firmware (I know the patched firmware is good because my other SH-222A drive (purchased at the same time as the problematic one) accepted it just fine once I used the -NOCHECK switch). I have tried making a custom bootable USB drive with a copy of FreeDOS on it along with the sfdndos.exe file and both the original unpatched firmware for version SB02 and the patched firmware as well, neither one worked even with the -n and the sm (secondary master, which is indeed where the drive is) switches specified, the program finds the drive without any problems but reports a failure message similar to the one I get with the windows based flashers.

I’ve tried using both windows based flashers even to try to flash back to a previous version of firmware (unpatched version) with no luck, even with the -NOCHECK option. I have even tried all of the mentioned windows flasher methods in safe mode too, again with the same ‘Flash cmd fail’ error message being displayed. The odd thing about this is that the drive is still functioning just fine for the most part even after the failed flash attempts, the reason I wanted to update the firmware was in the hopes that it would help fix a couple of problems I’m encountering from time to time when I burn a disc (CD OR DVD) where the session never closes, I was also hoping it would fix the issue with not being able to burn at any speed lower than 4x for CD’s (every once in a while I need to burn utility discs for various PC repair tasks and I prefer to do so at 1X because I’ve had problems occasionally with discs burned at higher speeds booting in some systems).

Would appreciate any help on this matter.

Thanks,
bartman2589

PS - before anyone asks, I’m not on a system using a VIA chipset, both of my computers have Intel chipsets, and I got the same failures when I tried installing it in my other computer. Have also tried changing drive jumper from master to cable select and back with same results. Like I said the other drive identical to this one updated just fine, but for some reason this one won’t.

Hi,[QUOTE=bartman2589;2538716]I’m having an unusual problem when I try to flash my firmware in my Samsung SH-222A DVD burner, I keep getting a ‘Flash cmd fail’ error message, I’ve tried using both Tsdnwin.exe and sfdnwin.exe to flash it using a patched firmware (I know the patched firmware is good because my other SH-222A drive (purchased at the same time as the problematic one) accepted it just fine once I used the -NOCHECK switch).[/quote]Normally, the -NOCHECK parameter is not needed unless you want to flash retail firmware onto a OEM drive.
Did you flash your other drive on the same computer or was that a different one?

I was also hoping it would fix the issue with not being able to burn at any speed lower than 4x for CD’s (every once in a while I need to burn utility discs for various PC repair tasks and I prefer to do so at 1X because I’ve had problems occasionally with discs burned at higher speeds booting in some systems).
With good media there is no need to burn at 1x. Perhaps the problems you have are due to bad drives in the other computers.
Apart from that, there is no such patch. You may have a look at this thread about that topic: http://club.myce.com/f33/slow-write-speeds-modern-drives-modern-media-no-good-247643/

PS - before anyone asks, I’m not on a system using a VIA chipset, both of my computers have Intel chipsets, and I got the same failures when I tried installing it in my other computer.
This could be the problem. Modern Intel chipsets don’t support the Pata interface, so motherboard manufacturers solder 3rd party controllers onto their products.

If your other computer is the same machine you flashed your other drive successfully, then I suspect there might be something wrong with the drive’s hardware. You also swapped the IDE cable? It should be an 80wire, 18" flat ribbon cable.

Michael

Burning CDs at 1x?

For what sense???

[QUOTE=mciahel;2538722]Hi,Normally, the -NOCHECK parameter is not needed unless you want to flash retail firmware onto a OEM drive.
Did you flash your other drive on the same computer or was that a different one?

With good media there is no need to burn at 1x. Perhaps the problems you have are due to bad drives in the other computers.
Apart from that, there is no such patch. You may have a look at this thread about that topic: http://club.myce.com/f33/slow-write-speeds-modern-drives-modern-media-no-good-247643/

This could be the problem. Modern Intel chipsets don’t support the Pata interface, so motherboard manufacturers solder 3rd party controllers onto their products.

If your other computer is the same machine you flashed your other drive successfully, then I suspect there might be something wrong with the drive’s hardware. You also swapped the IDE cable? It should be an 80wire, 18" flat ribbon cable.

Michael[/QUOTE]

As I indicated I tried flashing the uncooperative drive in BOTH of my computers, it failed in BOTH, even in the same computer that my other drive successfully flashed in. As for your comment about ‘Modern Intel chipsets’, I should point out that both of these are older Intel chipsets, the newest one being ICH5 based (the one that did successfully flash the one drive). And yes you are correct that the problems that I need to be able to burn media at 1X for are very likely due to the drives in the specific computers I need to use the disks in, however that does not change the FACT that I am usually able to get these systems to recognize media burned at 1X but not to successfully recognize media burned at say 8X, (poor compatibility in firmware probably), I don’t always work on ‘cutting edge’ systems so I have a need to be able to burn CD’s & DVD’s at 1X for drive compatibility on occasion (hell even with good quality Verbatim DVD’s & CD’s I have problems getting these very SH-222A drives to successfully do an OS install unless I burn the disks at 1X which my old Lite-on drive used to do just fine).

So to reiterate, yes I tried flashing this drive by placing it into the system that I successfully flashed the other drive in, but it still failed.

As for my need to burn at 1X, I’ve clearly stated above the reasons for it, rather than criticize my need to do so I’d appreciate some help in getting it working.

Also I should point out that both drives have previously been flashed by me to replace the SA01 firmware (shipped with bulk OEM drives) with the SB01 firmware (retail version), and as indicated one of the drives was successfully flashed to the SB02 firmware but the other won’t cooperate, it’s like the firmware somehow got ‘locked’ or something.

[QUOTE=chef;2538737]Burning CDs at 1x?

For what sense???[/QUOTE]

As I stated I occasionally come across systems where the drives installed in them won’t recognize the media unless it’s been burned at 1X, in my own main computer I had to use Verbatim media that I burned at 1X in order to do a reinstall of my OS because the cd that I burned at 8X kept failing part way through the install, yet the 1x burn cd (on the exact same media after trying 3 different times with 3 different copies burned at 8x) worked perfectly fine. I’ve been working on computers (upgrading and repairing them) for over 20 years (since before Windows!), in that time I have seen some unusual behavior from various CD/DVD drives, this definitely falls into that category.

So again while you may not need to burn at low speeds, the [B]FACT[/B] is that for me it has often solved many of my issues with drive/media compatibility, hence my desire to be able to burn at 1x.

[QUOTE=bartman2589;2538799] (…) hence my desire to be able to burn at 1x.[/QUOTE]Then you need an ancient CD writer for this purpose. No modern drive is able to do that.

Michael

[QUOTE=bartman2589;2538797]
As for my need to burn at 1X, I’ve clearly stated above the reasons for it, [B]rather than criticize my need[/B] to do so I’d appreciate some help in getting it working.

[/QUOTE]

Eh? :doh:

I think you believe in really obsolete devices magic and myths too…

[QUOTE=chef;2541743]Eh? :doh:

I think you believe in really obsolete devices magic and myths too…[/QUOTE]

I don’t necessarily believe in obsolete devices but as I have stated I [B]DO[/B] occasionally come across systems with drives that can be problematic and again as I have stated often times burning at 1X has allowed me to successcully create a cd that will work in those drives for whatever reason, just because you personally have not encountered this problem doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist, I’ve been upgrading and repairing computers for over 25 years now, and I have seen quite a lot of unusual behaviour that many people haven’t observed. How long have you been working on computers??? Can you claim you’ve seen EVERY single problem that exists with computers (I know I can’t and I’d be willing to bet I’ve been fixing them longer than you have)??? I highly doubt you can. I asked for honest help with my problem and just about the only thing I’ve gotten is criticism for the fact that I was hoping to be able to enable 1X burns on my drive. If you can’t be constructive in your replies go fuck yourself!!! Nobody asked you for sarcasm asshole!!!

I DO HAPPEN TO SERVICE OLD EQUIPMENT PERIODICALLY, BIG FUCKING DEAL!!! NOT EVERYONE CAN AFFORD TO BUY THE NEWEST HARDWARE ON THE MARKET SO I TRY TO HELP PEOPLE MAKE DO WITH WHAT THEY CAN AFFORD UNTIL THEY CAN GET SOMETHING BETTER, AND IF YOU WERE AS FUCKING INTELLIGENT AS YOU’D LIKE EVERYONE TO THINK YOU ARE YOU’D REALIZE THAT OFTEN TIMES THERE ARE PROBLEMS WITH DRIVE FIRMWARES THAT PREVENT READING CERTAIN MEDIA OCCASIONALLY, THAT’S ONE OF THE REASONS COMPANIES OFFER FIRMWARE UPDATES YOU FUCKING IDIOT!!! TRY READING THE CHANGE LOGS FOR SOME OF THE FIRMWARE UPDATES FROM TIME TO TIME AND YOU’LL REALIZE THIS!!!

[QUOTE=mciahel;2538835]Then you need an ancient CD writer for this purpose. No modern drive is able to do that.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Perhaps you’re right, I was simply hoping that it could be done as I thought at one point I had been able to burn at lower speeds with this drive, maybe I was mistaken, either way it still leaves me with the firmware update problem which nobody has bothered to try to help me address, instead everyone is focused on the fact that I actually wanted to be able to burn at lower speeds instead of worrying about burning a disk in as little time as possible. I prefer to burn at lower speeds because even with my old lite-on drive (16X DVD Burrner) and with my old Toshiba-Samsung TS-H552 burner (another recent 16X burner I owned) I often encountered problems with reading media that had supposedly been successfully burned at speeds above 12X, even with good quality Verbatim media this happened quite often unless I burned at a lower speed.

I appreciate your honest non-insulting reply to my post, I only wish others would follow your example instead of insulting me for wanting to do something that seems to be unusual to them.

Hi,[QUOTE=bartman2589;2541987]Perhaps you’re right, I was simply hoping that it could be done as I thought at one point I had been able to burn at lower speeds with this drive, maybe I was mistaken,[/quote]CD capabilities are not on a top rank on the todo list of drive makers and firmware programmers/hackers nowadays.

either way it still leaves me with the firmware update problem which nobody has bothered to try to help me address,
Well, you were given some hints. There is not much more we can do from here :frowning:

I prefer to burn at lower speeds because even with my old lite-on drive (16X DVD Burrner) and with my old Toshiba-Samsung TS-H552 burner (another recent 16X burner I owned) I often encountered problems with reading media that had supposedly been successfully burned at speeds above 12X, even with good quality Verbatim media this happened quite often unless I burned at a lower speed.

Then you need a drive with better CD capabilities.
Apart from that, Verbatim is sourcing their CD stuff from different manufacturers (unfortunately). Perhaps Taiyo Yuden CD-R perform better for your needs.

I have an old JVC UX-T1 stereo. This beast doesn’t like CD-R and most are not even recognised. Sometimes cleaning the lens does help, sometimes not. So this unit is excellent for CD-R quality testing.

From my experience, this combination worked for me:
Drives: Pioneer DVR 112 (212) or Optiarc 7200A (7200S) (in brackets: Sata equivalents)
Media: Taiyo Yuden, CMC, Ritek (Manufacturers, not brands)
Speed: 16x

My SH-S203B together with Verbatim (MiI) was not a working combination.

So if you need a drive/media combination that is good for CD-R which shall be read by poor reading units, you may consider buying an Optiarc drive (check reviews first please) and blank media made by the aforementioned manufacturers.

Michael

Ok, just wanted to update and let anyone who stumbles upon this thread who is also having the ‘Flash Cmd Fail!!’ problem that in my case I was able to work around it finally by installing my Maxtor (Promise) ATA-133 PCI card and connecting the drive to that and then performing the firmware flash, guess for some reason even though one drive flashed just fine on my intel ICH5 chipset this second drive wouldn’t even when I tried it on my other computer (ICH4 chipset with Intel Application Accelerator driver installed (that might have been the big problem on the ICH4 chipset though, who knows)), anyway using an add in PCI IDE (thankfully I have a few ranging from ATA-33 to ATA-133) card allowed me to finally flash the problematic drive and might help others experiencing the same problems.