It won’t save anything in Notepad

I tried playing a dvd and it won’t … I can get a picture but no motion

No sound either for anything

QSI DVD+RW-ROM Device

Intel Pentium M processor 1.70 GHz

Toshiba MK 4026GAX 628 MHz 240 MB RAM

MOBO is Acer Aspire 1680 REV 1.0

:confused::eek::o

First, I suggest seeing if there is bios update available from Acer. Second, if there are two partions on the hard drive, perhaps one of them is a recovery partition and you can restore the OS to its original state, or maybe you have a recovery CD. You don’t mention what OS is installed. Also, perhaps the person who had this before you has locked features in the bios with a password. Are you able to go into the bios and check that all the hardware is enabled? Maybe some other features of the OS are password protected. Check in the Device Manager for the status of your hardware. Sound, USB, Drives, etc.

Oops

Am running XP Pro SP3

No partition

is a new install

Will check your other suggestions

All in the bios is enabled

No password protection

Device manager says all is working properly and no conflicts

Am going to look into updating the bios now

Hmm installed chipset drivers and up to date bios version and still no recognition of the USB ports … there is power to one but nothing else?

Well, did the DVD or USB ports ever work when you got it? Did you do the install of SP3 yourself or did someone else? Are you using the original AC adapter because it really sounds like a power problem, but it’s not shutting down or locking up, so that guess is a little iffy. If you are using MediaPlayer to play the DVD, try downloading VLC, just google it, and see if that works. Other than that I can’t really think of what might be wrong. Maybe someone else will post with some different ideas.

I just got it used from a puter shop… He did the install at the shop …I think the USB ports are just trashed… I plugged in my USB MP3 player and 2 of em have no power, one has power , but all have no recognition by the puter when I plug it in … all have drivers, the USB hub has proper driver , but they wobble about pretty bad

Oh and this thing has 256 Mb of Ram so I figure that may be an issue too as far as trying to play a dvd… and it is the proper adapter to the unit too.
I tried to use VLC but I got a bad install so am going to try to find a different download site and try again.

Still no sound either and have the driver for the in there too.

Cool VLC plays it no prob

Now if I can get sound I’m laffin :slight_smile:

One other you might consider is downloading Puppy Linux 4.1.1, it’s a really small distro, maybe 50MB (don’t know how fast your internet connection is), burn it to a CD, set your bios to boot from CD first and start Puppy. It’s pretty easy because it runs in ram, you don’t have to install it, but if your USB ports are working it should see them. You can try hotplugging something into a USB port to see if it mounts. This way you’ll know that it’s not some problem with XP. Just a thought.

The computer sees the USB ports, all the drivers are installed correctly, I think they are just damaged physically…
Was talking to the tech I bought it from and he says there is a reader card that has a USB port that I can plug a USB soundcard into … anyone know about that stuff?

I will give your suggestion a go Whappo :slight_smile:
Thanks

[QUOTE=Whappo;2153386]One other you might consider is downloading Puppy Linux 4.1.1, it’s a really small distro, maybe 50MB (don’t know how fast your internet connection is), burn it to a CD, set your bios to boot from CD first and start Puppy. It’s pretty easy because it runs in ram, you don’t have to install it, but if your USB ports are working it should see them. You can try hotplugging something into a USB port to see if it mounts. This way you’ll know that it’s not some problem with XP. Just a thought.[/QUOTE]
This is an excellent idea and very easy to accomplish.
Puppy 4.1 is so capable, it is astonishing.
http://www.puppylinux.com/download/index.html

Mobo drivers :
http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/notebook/tm_4000.html

[QUOTE=~Soul~;2153441]Was talking to the tech I bought it from and he says there is a reader card that has a USB port that I can plug a USB soundcard into … anyone know about that stuff?[/QUOTE]You talking about a which ever it has … PCMCIA or Express card? I can’t get the link to work for the manual to see.

K so this is what it comes with …

Ports and Slots: 3x USB2.0, 1x RJ45 LAN, 1x RJ11 modem, 1x PCMCIA Type II PC Card slot, 1x AC adapter, 1x VGA out, 1x Security slot, 1x Optical Bay, 1x Line In, 1x Mic In, 1x Line Out/Head Phone

K so I gave Puppy Linux a run and it didn’t see when I mounted a USB device to any of the 3 USB ports … so I would imagine they are FUBAR… Is OK I may have another way around it :slight_smile:

All I can say is I hope you got it for a very good price. Good luck Soul.

No worries Whappo, my ex-wife paid for it :wink: