Fixing an aspect ratio issue

Hi.

After having a quick look at other threads, I can’t quite find what I’m after so have decided to turn over to you guys.

I have a problem where I have recorded some video on a Panasonic (SD storage) camcorder in 16:9.

The problem is when I try to load the video files into a video editor like “Microsoft Movie Maker 2” or “Ulead Movie Studio” (or whatever it’s called), the clips I import are in the wrong aspect (they are addad to the application as 4:3 clips, which is incorrect)

These files are recorded in the camera’s “.MP4” format, using the “16:9” recording feature of the camera itself.

So my question is one of two;

How do I convert / fix / tell my files so that they can be imported as true 16:9 video clips.

and / or

What would be the best (if any) video editing application to deal with this issue without having to convert / fix this issue before hand.

Many thanks (in advance) for your help on this guys.

BroP

You should be able to set the aspect flag on the input file in any decent video editor. Ulead should have that option. In some editors it’s referred to as a pixel ratio.

What resolution do they have??

Background is, 16:9 is forced with full DVD res…

[QUOTE=CDan;2292593]You should be able to set the aspect flag on the input file in any decent video editor. Ulead should have that option. In some editors it’s referred to as a pixel ratio.[/QUOTE]

I’ve tried to alter settings but no luck - I can create a video project in Ulead as 16:9, but when I begin to add the video clips into the project - they always appear in the centre as a 4:3 video clip with a vertical letterbox.

I will take another look at the settings to see if I’ve missed something - it all so very frustrating mate!

[QUOTE=chef;2292959]What resolution do they have??

Background is, 16:9 is forced with full DVD res…[/QUOTE]

I will have to check as not sure - I know that none of my players will play it back as a 16:9 clip (even in VLC - I have to tell it to force 16:9)

At this point, it’s sounds more and more like a issue with the camcorder’s recording method.

I think as this stage I need to think about running it through some kind of conversion process to forcibly stretch the footage to 16:9. I think something like VirtualDUB might work (after I’ve converted from MP4 to a standard AVI).

I’ll look at the video res as soon and get back to you.

Thanks.

Yep, virtualdub with plugins would be a good idea…

[QUOTE=Brotherpukka;2292998]I’ve tried to alter settings but no luck - I can create a video project in Ulead as 16:9, but when I begin to add the video clips into the project - they always appear in the centre as a 4:3 video clip with a vertical letterbox.

I will take another look at the settings to see if I’ve missed something - it all so very frustrating mate![/QUOTE]

I don’t use Ulead, so can’t help much. TMPGEnc makes it pretty easy to set the aspect flag on any input file and doesn’t require re-encoding the video if it’s already at 480.

I’d try to avoid un-needed re-encoding steps if you can.

they always appear in the centre as a 4:3 video clip with a vertical letterbox.

If they are 4:3 letterboxed, and [I]if[/I] you [I]must[/I] re-encode, then use DVD Rebuilder with HCEnc …Rip/copy the DVD to your HDD and import in DVDRB->Advanced Avisynth options->choose the option for converting Letterbox 4:3 to 16:9…Good luck!..