Fixed Bitrate changes on me for ps3.default setting

I am experiencing an issue on every DVD that I try to rip to “Generic” in the DVD to Mobile module.

I insert DVD, I choose Generic. From the Title listing, I select the main movie, then hit Next. On the next screen I select the main movie track, and click Configure. On the Configure screen, I choose ps3 device. I go down to Video Format and choose “High Quality Encoding” and “Fixed Bitrate”. For the Bitrate I type in “3072”. I save this new configuration as “ps3.default”. Then I hit OK. Then, if I click directly on Configure again, and look at the Video Format box, it has switched back to “Fixed File Size” and the bitrate is now “3070”. <-this number varies actually

Why does it do this? So, every time I rip a movie, I have to manually select Fixed Bitrate and make sure it says 3072. Why isn’t it saving under my ps3.default profile? This is especially annoying and tedious when I’m doing a tv series, and have to do these steps continually for each episode in the list. I should be able to just hit PS3.default and expect my settings to be the same each time.

I don’t know if this is a known bug or what… I did a little searching and could not find it. Anyone else seeing this issue? FWIW, I’m using the PS3 setting to make videos that are compatible with my XBOX360 and Zune80. I wish these “devices” were in the list but I have to settle for “PS3”.

Thanks,
Brian

Hi Trigger,

You can actually edit the profile so that it maintains your most used settings.

The profiles are XML files and there is also a document which describes the useage of all the parameters and you can create new profiles for other devices.

It is quite easy to do and understand. Make a backup copy of the existing profiles and you then cannot bugger too much up.

Regards,
Greg

Gregiboy, thanks for the advice. I did check the ps3.default.xml, and it does indeed hold the settings that I had chosen for the profile. (ie, Fixed bitrate, 3072kbps, etc). But for some reason DVDFab is not “using” them unless I go in and manually click the Fixed Bitrate radio button every time.

BTW… I’m also using the latest Beta, I’ve had this program since I’ve began using DVDFab (I pretty much install every build as soon as it comes out), and I’m a paying DVDFab license holder. All in all it’s a great program and love it… but encounter these little things every now and then. (this one has been bugging me for a while, just finally got around to posting it).

Cheers!
Brian

[QUOTE=triggerx44;1951862]Gregiboy, thanks for the advice. I did check the ps3.default.xml, and it does indeed hold the settings that I had chosen for the profile. (ie, Fixed bitrate, 3072kbps, etc). But for some reason DVDFab is not “using” them unless I go in and manually click the Fixed Bitrate radio button every time.
[/QUOTE]
Now I understand what’s happening !!!

I think what is happening is that it does the File Size Calc when you set the Fixed Bitrate. When you go back in, it redoes the calc (with a slight discrepancy) calculating the bitrate from the File Size.

Is that what you mean?

Sounds like a promising theory! So, I guess maybe I should not bother changing to the “fixed bitrate” since it will extrapolate after I click out of the dialog… and just trust that it’s close enough for my needs. (I really don’t require it to always be exactly 3072, it’s just a bitrate that I’ve come to like with the space I have and the size TV I’m viewing on). So, maybe not a real bug, but just the way DVDFab works… but still confusing when I set it to one thing, and when I go back into the configure dialog it shows something different than I chose.
Thanks for the input.
Brian