Fix halting DVD (in files, not hardware)

vbimport

Hi guys,

A family friend taped an event for us and burned it to DVD. I think they must’ve overlooked something, because every minute or so the video halts for about half a second. (Maybe an index wasn’t built properly?)

I’ve copied the files to my HD and they do the same thing from there, so it’s not a hardware or media problem.

Unfortunately, there’s no practical way for me to get the original tape (or a camera to play it on), or I’d just re-convert it.

Can you suggest some software and methods I could try to fix the files so I can re-burn them?

I haven’t done any DVD editing in particular—but I’ve done some general computer video (DivX, etc.) and am generally geeky, so I’m not afraid to try stuff. Thanks for your help!

That’s an odd problem. Are you getting video and audio out of sync when this happens?

If not, then you might have to go in and simply cut out the odd pauses. You’ll need something that can deal with mpeg2 found in dvd video. Look at one of the editing programs from Womble or VideoReDo. They both have free trials available for download, and are fully functional for the length of the trial.

Nope, the sync’s okay. It just periodically freezes, like the player isn’t sure where the next frame is and has to search for it (?).

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2165059]If not, then you might have to go in and simply cut out the odd pauses. You’ll need something that can deal with mpeg2 found in dvd video. Look at one of the editing programs from Womble or VideoReDo. They both have free trials available for download, and are fully functional for the length of the trial.[/QUOTE]

Okay, thanks. If that doesn’t help, I’ll pester you guys you guys again in case you have more ideas (lucky you!).