Fix for many DVD and/or VCD won't play issues

vbimport

As many disk players are carriage style and make it difficult to peroperly clean the laser lense, this is probably why so soon after ‘we’ purchase these players and/or recorder-players and then perfectly good disks are ejected seemingly for no reason, ie; the disks won’t play.

And as I’ve not yet found a decent disk lense cleaner disk that ‘we’ insert into the player/recorder-player’s carriage (and it actually does a good job cleaning the laser lense), after I threw out one fairly new recorder -player and bought another one, the same thing started happenign again (perfectly good disks wouldn’t play).

Well, follow my tip at your own risk, but it works for me.

Simply grab one of your unused blank or unplayable disks, cd or dvd, it doesn’t matter. then scotch tape a couple of 1/2 inch by 1-1/2 inch pieces of paper towel (folded so it is about three layers thick) mid-way in the playable area of the disk (so it looks like an “H” with the disk’s hole in the center of the ‘H’. I place tape at the ends of the paper, ie; like at the top and bottom of the ‘H’. Then moisten the paper towel strips with isopropyl alcohol and place the disk immediately into the carriage tray. If the tray won’t close with the disk in place as the loader tries to pull the disk inside, I lightly help it close by pushing on it. Pushing fairly hard might make it hard to eject the disk, and even light pushing, I find sometimes i need to poke inside the carriage with a thin blade (like a table knife) and pry the disk down from the upper area of inside the carriage, so it will clear the carriage opening, in order to get the disk back out. I have to pull gently or sometime firmly to get the disk back out of the carriage tray so as to remove it from my player.

But believe it or not, it hasn’t hurt my machine yet and any time a valid VCD or DVD won’t play, I know it’s time to give the laser lense that good cleaning (about every 6 months or so because pollution, cigarette smoke, etc., over time readily likes to adhere to the laser lense).

Again, simply a one or at most, two time moistenings and insertions of the make-do laser cleaning disk always does the trick for me.

And I don’t worry about the disk not spinning because it’s bound up by the paper towel strips interfering with the needed clearance to allow disks to spin, as I find that simply inserting and pulling the make-do cleaning disk in and back out are enought to gently wipe the laser lense enough to clean the lense so it will again properly direct the laser in a focused beam onto my media disks.

You may have to figure out where in the carrriage that the laser lense is hiding, and orient the make-do lense cleaning disk so that once inside, it’s paper towel pads is assuredly contacting the laser lense (that’s why I use two p-towel strips as I’m uncertain where the lense is hdden at), so if it doesn’t fix the player’s ability to play disks immediately, simply re-insert the make-do disk with the pads turned about 180 degrees.

Again, do this at your own risk and only after you’ve insured theyour disk’s are extremely clean and there’s no other reasoning as to why they won’t play. And do not leave the disk in but momentarily, just to insure the disk spinning belts and what nots don’t get damaged from their inability to spin the disk. If necessay, I’d advise unplugging the player (if it takes more than 30 seconds to insert and extract the make-do disk cleaner).

Likely no manufacturer’s will copy this sort of lense cleaning disk, as I’m sure it’s risk just about outweighs the liability, but it works for me.

Best of luck and hap-e-trail to all,

urrguru

Personally I do not recommend using any other fluids than distilled water, since that absolutely positive leaves nothing behind on the lens cap.

Make sure the materials you use cannot leave any residue or cloth behind, which may eventually help fry out the internal electronics.

Forcing a disc tray may also lead to problems in the servo motor that is running the tray.

Yes, as in my post, I cautioned readers about that and all other resaonable potential risks.

As for use of water inside electonics and for how well it cleans (as opposed to alcohol), one shouldn’t have to say which cleans better, plus alcohol dries very quickly, reduces and/or avoids the risk of shorting out anything inside electronics.

I don’t believe isopropyl alcohol leaves any residue worth mentioning, but some paper towels do have chemicals left in them that might just be some cause for concern in how well the make-do laser lense cleaning actually works (but surely if it doesn’t result in disks thereafter being playable, only then would I consider a different brand of paper towels).