Okay I found out why my machine was getting the “Bad Media” and Media Write errors with the code of 10 11 w2. It turns out when I installed my new dvd burner it set my second IDE interface to PIO. The IDE interface that the DVD drives are installed on should always be UDMA (Ultra DMA Mode).
To check to see if this is your problem,
- Go to the device manager, and expand IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers
- Highlight the IDE channel that your dvd burner is connected to (primary or secondary)
- Right mouse click and select properties
- Click on the advanced settings tab
- Make sure transfer mode says DMA if available
- Current Transfer Mode should say Ultra DMA Mode
If this says anything else, you will be creating a lot of costers and skipping dvd’s
If both of these are correct, check your bios settings and make sure UDMA is set or it may say ATA/33
If none of this works, its a good chance that its the IDE cable. Some DVD drives recomemend an 80 pin and some recommend a 40 pin. I would try a new one of each and see if it helps.