First tests: Zalman Reserator 1 Plus Water Cooling Package

vbimport

Test PC:

Intel Pentium 4 or Celeron Northwood 1.6GHz, 1.8GHz, or 2.4GHz
Gigabyte 845GE motherboard 8GEM667 (ICH4)
NVidia GF5600 AGP 128MB DVI + DSUB + TVOUT
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live PCI
Highpoint 8-channel SATA RocketRAID 1820 (on a 33MHz, 32bit PCI slot)
Samsung PC3200 512MB DDR (or GIL PC2700 512MB DDR * 2)
WD 1600BB / 1600LB connected to SATA (RocketRAID 1820)
WD 1600BB / 1600LB connected to PATA (ICH4), one of them has OS 2
WD 2000JD SATA
Samsung SP80SD 80GB SATA
Seagate Barracuda ATA V 120GB (OS 1, C: drive)
BenQ DW1620
LG GSA-5163D, GSA-4120B, GSA-4082B
Pioneer DVR-108
LG Flatron 23-inch 2320T 19201200 (DSUB, DVI can support only up to 16001200)
Some external drives (2.5-inch HDD, 3.5-inch HDD, ODD drives)
Intel “stock” cooler for 1.6-2.4 P4 CPU
Zalman Reserator 1 Plus water cooling package including 1 CPU water block and 1 VGA water block, using the “internal” water pump

I bought a Zalman Reserator 1 Plus package in last week for 280,000 South Korean WON including local VAT, or a little under US$250 excluding VAT. The package included the usual water cooler components, water tank, water pump, rediator, tube, etc.

The CPU Block supports both Intel and AMD CPU types, 478 and 775 included. As I run on 478 CPUs, I tested only four CPUs, 1.6GHz to 2.4GHz. Though there’s also a VGA Block, I didn’t try it yet because I don’t overclock VGAs usually (GF5600, ATI, Maxtrox, Intel 845G, etc.) and VGA coolers are more difficult to remove at will.

At first, the temperature was 19 degrees Celcius. I used some ice blocks to see what difference it makes. :slight_smile: It didn’t last long and the temp rose to around 30 degress in hours. At around 3GHz clock with FSB overclocked from 133MHz to around 167MHz, it stayed around 35 degrees until the morning. Now, at 2:50 PM, it’s 41 degrees. Room temperature right now here must be over 30 degrees (though I don’t have any thermometer to check it.)

There was a minor accident yesterday during my first set-up with water cooling package. I connected the “-In” and “-Out” tubes into the Reserator 1 Plus’s main body with the ends reversed. The Zalman manual said it’s easy to plug into the main body, just with one push so I naturally thought there was no risk, but I chose the wrong direction. So the expensive coolant (500ml + 2,000ml worth about US$20) was soon spilled on the wooden floor as my baby observed with vast interest. I took the main body and silicon tubes into the nearest bathroom and tried to fix it after cleaning the floor (a lot of pieces of clothes and towels used because I couldn’t find better things to absorb the spilled liquid.) Nothing was damaged permanently, it seemed and since the Zalman system was on the floor and the PC systems were all on a desk of about 1 meter high. I used tab water instead of the expensive liquid combination next time after fixing the tube connections. (It was easier to do this with clothing machines.) I read somewhere on South Korean sites that tab water’s still OK though not good for long-time use.

If this works well and Zalman’s support and future parts with upgraded features continues, maybe I’ll reconfigure this system with a better CPU like dual-core Pentium D and also extend water cooling on something like 7800 GPU’s, RAID controllers, 10K-15K RPM HDDs, etc. also with better thermal grease and better PSU (just lost a good chance to have Enermax Noisetaker at discounted prices.)

The good part with Zalman Reserator 1 Plus is that it is quite easy for beginners and first-time users (with any water cooling) because it’s all-in-one package and the printed manual and online video manual make it easy to learn how to setup and it is also easy to understand without ever bothering to look at the manuals since even a non-engineer type like myself didn’t feel any difficulty at handling the water tank and water blocks. It’s much easier to install the CPU block. Light and small, just two small bolts and done, and just repeat it with another CPU trial. The water tank has built-in water pump and radiator for disspiating heat gathered through the running water. There’s also a “stick” for visualizing water flow, not required for cooling itself at all, but like an accessory. The bad part with it is that it’s very expensive compared to even the latest Zalman 7700 series air cooler or the 9*** series displayed at the recent Computex Taiwan 2005, also more expensive than most other water cooling packages (but you have to buy individually available components separately and Zalman-level support is not that common.)

You don’t have any 939 procs left to test it with?
I’m curious on how it performs with an Athlon 64 FX.

I never got any 939 processor. I have one 754 Athlon 64, 2.8GHz but the Chaintech motherboard for it wasn’t very stable. I do have a 939 motherboard though. Cheapest AMD X2 is still 2.5x more expensive than Pentium D 820. Most of my (about 10?) AMD processors are Socket A. :slight_smile:

Northwood 2.4GHz probably generates more heat than the latest 939 processors when playing or encoding HD MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 files.

37-38 now. 7:36 AM and a little more ice. :slight_smile:

BTX Pentium D looks good.

I was thinking of getting the reserator, according to THG, it couldnt break 43°C under extreme load for hours.

Mmmmmm is this new toy the reason you ain’t posting pics of your daughter anymore? :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

Not at all. It’s only because my camera toys don’t work well. Maybe I’ll get a few 1GB 150X SD cards soon.

I connected VGA to Reserator as well today. First I tried with Nvidia GF 5600. Somehow PC didn’t boot after reinstalling 5600. Next I tried ATI 9700 Pro. Successful, but DVI-D could only display 12801024 on LG 2320T though 19201200 is easy through DSUB. The VGA and CPU are cool but various components not directed cooled are hot including the 8 RAM chips on 9700 Pro AGP card and two 512MB GEIL DDR-SDRAM modules. Maybe cooling with only water cooler isn’t practical yet when so many components run so hot.