First +R discs not working well

I have been burning -R discs (mainly G04’s and MCC’s) with my 411s @ FS0F with excellant results so i decided to try some +R discs so that i could booktype them to DVD-ROm for improved compatability.

I bought a spindle of 25 “DATASAFE-MEDIA” 4x +R thar read like this :

Drive Type = DVD DUAL 
     Disc Type = DVD+R (Single Layer)
      Disc MID = 52 49 43 4F 48 4A 50 4E (RICOHJPN)
      Disc TID = 52 30 31 (R01)

Nominal Capacity = 4.38GB
Manufacturer Maybe = Ricoh Company Limited
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 4.0X (Write)

Having viewed the media tests pages i was expecting some good results with these discs but so far 4 discs burnt (all with diferant firwares etc - details to follow) and all coasters.

So my question is this - is there a differant firmware that may burn these or should i just save tmen for future use in the hope of support in a new firmware and buy some more discs?

Ok and now my first scan, this was burnt on my 411s @ 811s with zebra mk4 mod firmware HS0P (this is the best burn i got) it was burnt with tmpgenc dvd author @ 8x speed.

Next i burnt at a disc (still with 411@811s) this time with nero 3.3.0.3 @4x speed. Results are worse…

Soooo i reverted my drive back to 411s with my original eeprom and loaded fs0j i ran booktype to DVD-ROM and burnt with nero @ 4x, again a bad disc…

Then this morning i flashed back to my fav firmware FS0F and burnt @ 4x with tmpgenc dvd author, still bad disc.

Should i just give up on this media? Or try a not yet tried firmware? Thx for your reply :slight_smile:

Looks like the same batch of marginal Ricoh media that I got, same very high PI/PO errors. :frowning: Same scans with my 411s. Just picked up a real 811s and got high errors too at 8x burn, though not as high as the 411.

The big question is, does it play in drive/player? Suprisingly this high error rate disk played fine in my standalone players, no verification errors were found during burning and no errors reading with DVDInfoPro.

Those scans looks suprisingly similar to mine. They play great in all the dvd players I’ve tried. Maybe it’s just Kprobe that reports way to many errors?

This is a Datasafe 4x written at 4x using FS0H:

Curious… I’ve never seen error’s like this on Ricoh media. Quite frankly I am shocked when I see it.
Anyone else buy any Ricoh media very recently that with some scans they can post?

Ssseth, Can you do me a favour? If you got a Ricohjpnr01 disc burned in a liteon drive that scan fine in Kprobe, then do a dvd read speed in Nero and post the result here.

The disc I Kprobe scanned above seems to have great readability (see the attached pic). I’m suspecting that Kprobe reports a lot of errors that are not really there. If it can be read fast and consistently I doubt there is anything wrong with the disc.

Thanks in advance

Howdy!

Has any1 tested these low-quality discs on another DVD-burner? Would be interesting to see how “the king of burning quality” NEC 2500 can handle these discs.

BTW, I can confirm Androlight’s suspicion that there might be something wrong with KProbe.

Have a look at this horrible KProbe scan of a Ritek R04 DVD+R:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?threadid=89027

On the other hand, I can read it back on my Toshiba SD-M 1612 with 12x max speed. The graph is completely linear - perfect result.

Originally posted by Ssseth
Curious… I’ve never seen error’s like this on Ricoh media. …

Here’s a burn of a recently bought “Imation labeled” 25 spindle with RICOH media.

All read Tests done with the LDW-811s (HSOP)

Burner: LDW-811s - HSOP
DVD+R
Burnt at 4x
Bitsetting to DVD-ROM
Nero 6.3.0.3 -> Type: DVD-Video

Attached image of:
KProbe scan: 8ECC, read at 4x
Nero DVD-Test

Enhanced Disc Information

---- DVD Structure: Physical Format Information (00h) ----
Layer: 0, Address: 0 (0 h), AGID: 0; Length: 2050
Book Type: DVD-ROM (0), Part Version: 1
Disc Size: 120 mm, Maximum Rate: <not specified> (F h)
Number of Layers: 1, Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP), Layer Type: embossed data (Read-only)
Linear Density: 0,267 um/bit, Track Density: 0,74 um/track
Starting Physical Sector Number of Data Area: 30000 h (DVD-ROM, DVD-R/-RW, DVD+R/+RW)
End Physical Sector Number of Data Area: 25D7CF h
End Sector Number in Layer 0: 0 h
Data in Burst Cutting Area (BCA) does not exist
Media Specific:
00 01 52 49 43 4F 48 4A - 50 4E 52 30 31 02 38 23 …RICOHJPNR01.8#
54 37 09 00 3C 67 00 AC - 62 16 18 0B 0B 0A 0B 01 T7…<g…b…
19 1B 0B 0B 0E 0F 01 00 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 …

---- DVD Structure: DVD Copyright Information (01h) ----
Layer: 0, Address: 0 (0 h), AGID: 0; Length: 6
Copyright Protection System Type: No copyright protection system (0)
Region Management Information: 0 h

---- DVD Structure: DVD Disc Manufacturing Information (04h) ----
Layer: 0, Address: 0 (0 h), AGID: 0; Length: 2050
Data: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
…------------------------------

Could this Imation DVD+R be played back flawlessly on a standalone player? Or have there been dropouts/skips?

played fine in Sony DVP-S725D

regards,
tas