First quality scans with my SHM-165PS

It’s my first post on cdfreaks, sooo… Hello everybody on this forum :wink:

After reading a lot of posts, mostly in this “LiteOn section”, I decided to buy the SHM-165PS. It’s my first drive allowing quality scan, so I’ve scanned a few disks to make my opinion, some of them written with my new drive, and a few others written on the Pionner 110D of my girlfriend.

And I’m a bit lost, because, for example, I’ve read that the 110D was “not so good”, but it seems that the scan was better than those of the disc I burned with my new LiteOn Burner…

What do you think about this scans ?
Would you have some advice(s) ?

Thanks a lot in advance :bow:

Hi Flashyyy, and welcome to the forum :slight_smile: Your scans are very good for TYG03 [16x Taiyo Yuden DVD-R], but you’ll get more accurate results if you scan them again at 8x.

The 110D is not the best drive released by Pioneer; none the less, it is a very good drive.

Personally (for backups) i don’t like when LiteOn scans go higher than 2 PIF max but your scans are perfect. All of them are first class :slight_smile:

(Ooops - didn’t notice the scan speed :o - Yeah 8x would probably be more useful)

Thanks for your answers :slight_smile:

I would just have 1 or 2 questions more.

Here are 2 scans I did of the same dvd, both at 8x, like you adviced.
I’m surprised to have 2 quite different graphs, with peaks at different places…
Nero-dvd-speed shows 2 big PIF peaks, that kprobe doesn’t show ?

Again, thanks a lot in advance :bow:

Well, both scans seem to be equal if you think about the differences in KPROBE and CDSpeed: They scan in different intervalls:
(8/1) in KProbe (see your posted pic) and (8/8) in CDSpeed.

Also, see the PIE/PIF max in both scans they’re very similar.

See the FAQ for more information.

Best greets!

That’s not true. They (normally) both use 8/1 for LiteOn drives, although KProbe has additional options (e.g. 1/1) that normally aren’t used.

CDSpeed [I]does[/I] works with other makes that do not support 8/1 (e.g. BenQ).

That the peaks [B]seem [/B]to be at different locations is due to the scaling for the x-axis: CD-Speed uses GiB, KProbe stretches the scanned range to fill the x-axis and uses sample number.

I dont know about the isolated PIF’s in CD-Speed- try a second scan to see if they’re real or a glitch.

G

Yes, seems you’re right!
I had in mind that you have to switch the settings via registry entries…
Sorry for that!
I think I’m going to check this later for myself…

Exactly my view!

I think that was NEC.

Actually, KProbe allows you to pick just about any summing interval you want (8/1 is default). You could do PI/PIF over 3/19, for example, but that’s not very useful.

G