First Post - Simple Questions... I think

Hi Everyone,

I’ve been lurking about reading and trying to learn how to use this program. It seems great, and I want to make it work. So far, I haven’t, but I am sure I am getting closer.

First, I tried making a copy of Bourne Ultimatum ( Limited Edition ) to IPOD… actually, I also made a copy using Main Movie. In each of these, the program task completed with no issues.

Here are my questions/issues. For the IPOD, I tried to play the mp4 using the lastest version of quicktime. It gave me an error. something about a cell… I know, that is useless. Anyway, I am trying the new 4030 version now and will report status.

Second question/issue. For the main move copy. How can I test that this is a good copy without problems without burning to a disk? Can I play it with something? I tried, but didn’t really see how to do this.

Other questions, if I make multiple copies of DVDs, can I just back them up like data files instead of writing one per disk? This assumes that the dvd5 is used for dvd9’s, I would assume.

Anyway, I appreciate your input. Lots of updates on the site today. I had been looking for the beta since I saw that some IPOD issues were addressed in some of these and then saw that 4030 was released. I assume this version includes those fixes.

Again, thanks for your time,
Uberdavetx

h/w: NEC DVD 3500AG. AMD Venice Core, 1gig RAM atm. 250gig SATA drive, plus others
6800 Nvidea…

Should have mentioned I am using DVDFab Platinum with the default settings.

Well, Almost.

I make a copy for an IPOD and this time quicktime did open the file and started playing it. Shortly afterwards, it does get a buffer overrun and closes. Any ideas for this issue?

Second question still valid: How do I test a DVD to Main Movie copy that was written to the hard drive prior to a DVD write?

Thanks.

OK, well, I am answering my own questions.

I downloaded a trial PowerDVD and it plays the IPOD file fine. I suspect poor s/w quality in quick time.

One thing I noticed in comparing the original to the ipod. The ipod copy is not as load as the original. Minor and maybe intentional.

So, what do you use to play files such as this on your PC?

Input still appreciated.

Hi uberdave. I would suggest the free and excellent VLC Media Player. It can handle just about anything including any of the iPod formats supported by DVDFab (and plays DVDs and DVD folders also). It can also supply information about the files for troubleshooting purposes if necessary. Just google it, there are lots of good sites.

[quote=uberdavetx;1962354]OK, well, I am answering my own questions.

I downloaded a trial PowerDVD and it plays the IPOD file fine. I suspect poor s/w quality in quick time.

One thing I noticed in comparing the original to the ipod. The ipod copy is not as load as the original. Minor and maybe intentional.

So, what do you use to play files such as this on your PC?

Input still appreciated.[/quote]

Hi Signals,

Thanks for the recommendation. I installed VLC Media Player and it works like a charm. Thanks for your suggestion!

I need to copy a few more disks, but I think I am sold.

:clap:firefox, dvdfab and vlc are my most used programs.:iagree:

troy

I switched to firefox when IE7 came out… I’m not looking back either. I love the fact that I can configure the buttons how I like and put then where I want. The IE7 interface change is just stupid.

But anyway. One thing I tested today. The IPOD file I created of Bourne Ultimatum plays fine in VLC, it crashed iTunes however. Next, Iwill copy it to a new 8gig nano and see how it plays, but I am wondering whats up.

Hi Uberdave. There are several iPod profiles in DVDFab; try a different one to see if iTunes will like it better. Remember that you can do short test conversions of only a chapter or two using the “Advanced Title Settings” button for quicker results. VLC is a robust player and far less priggish about file characteristics than iTunes or even WMP. I have it set as the default player for everything except DVDs.

[QUOTE=uberdavetx;1962334]Well, Almost.

Second question still valid: How do I test a DVD to Main Movie copy that was written to the hard drive prior to a DVD write?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

just view it with dvd playing software or with windows media player - open (double click) file video_ts.ifo in the video_TS subfolder to play the movie.

hi,

But anyway. One thing I tested today. The IPOD file I created of Bourne Ultimatum plays fine in VLC, it crashed iTunes however. Next, Iwill copy it to a new 8gig nano and see how it plays, but I am wondering whats up.

Please tell me which ipod profile is your using, I will test it.

Thanks.

Ah… ok… I used ipod.mpeg4 which was the default. I didn’t change any of the setting within that menu either.

I did load it onto a new Ipod nano and it plays fine.

One other important point. I am running this on Vista Ultimate.

Thanks for the help!

thank you