First Plextor--LG, Liteone better choice?

OK here’s the deal. I’m Old School, been around with computers since 1987 when I was trianed on a IBM 8086 and PS2 by Shell Oil Co. as a production analyst.

Yeah, I remember too when Plextor had these unreal quality drives with matching unreal price tags–haha. But man where they nice drives.

My question is this:

I just built a new system and bought the Plextor 740A. I’ve owned both Liteons, LGs, and Mitsumis, and I really like the LG404B that I still have and the old Mit was good too. Liteon is great too, but they are noisey. My LG4040B is silent and reliable and has never created a coaster, but I ony use TDK media. I almost bought the Lighton, but got talked out of it for the Pelxtor by a friend. It cost me 105 bucks. I’ve read all the reviews, and except for teh DVD+RW problem the new 740 had with one media, it seemed like one of the most solid drives going as far as errors go.

So what do you all think? Should I take teh Plex back and go with the LG or Liteon or BenQ over the 740A? One good thing about the Plex drives these days, if they are junk, at least you only blew 100 bucks instead of 350 back in the day—lol!

Hey thanks for all who respond.

PX-740A is a rebadged BenQ 1640. A very good drive indeed. But original BenQ 1640 OEM costs less than Plextor PX-740A. So I see only one reason to take Plex back - to buy BenQ 1640 for less money.

Benq!

upon initial testing, i like my new 1640 but definitely wouldn’t give up my 716As…

Sorry, I would recommend the Liteon 1693 over any BenQ. It is much more consistent from one drive to another and burn quality is very good and consistent on TY and Verbatim 8X media.

Every drive out there today works well with TY and Verbatim (MCC03) media to be honest. My Plextor loves these media types, I never see PIE values of over 15. I think a drive’s true strength shines when it can write every type of media at maximum speeds (although this is of course impossible due to the large amount of crappy media available today).

Double post, sorry :confused:

Every drive out there today works well with TY and Verbatim (MCC03) media to be honest. My Plextor loves these media types, I never see PIE values of over 15. I think a drive’s true strength shines when it can write every type of media at maximum speeds (although this is of course impossible due to the large amount of crappy media available today).

So the Benq is better than the Lite-On, right?

My first burner was a Lite-On 832S, and i didn`t get very impress…

and yes, after everthing, still love my 716 :iagree: :flower:

Mordorr

Manybe for your standards but not for mine. My BenQ does very poorly with TYG01 and is inconsistent with TYG02. My 3520 and 3500 are only OK with MCC 003. My LG 4163 is very poor with MCC 003 and only average with TYG02. And my Pioneer 109 has very high total PIF with TYG01. I also don’t find any of my drives do an exceptional job with MC 02RG20.

All of these drives, of course, burn a readable disc with TY and Verbatim. If you want the best burn with particular media, there are big differences between drives. If you are happy with a readable burn, get the drive with the coolest faceplate. Since his original question referrenced errors, I answered his question based on that.

You seem to have had some bad luck. I just went through the <a href=“http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=138205” target="_blank">Re: Post your BenQ DW1640 SL media here</a> thread and most scans of TYG02 look excellent, and the Yuden000 T02 scans look out of this world. You’re right about the MCC 02/03RG20 (Verbatim -R) media, though, the BenQs (and others) don’t seem to like it.

My LG 4163 is very poor with MCC 003

If Verbatim wasn’t so cheesy about outsourcing their production, they’d be every bit as good as TY. Not as bad as Maxell selling Ritek G05, though.

Back on topic, though: I would only get an LG drive if I had a scanning drive to complement it. You need to know the difference between a barely readable disc and one that should last forever, and with LG you don’t get that kind of assurance. The 4163 looks like a really nice drive, though.

I’d have to say it’s more the LG’s fault in this instance. I have a spindle of CMC-made MCC003 that burns well on my Plextor and Pioneer burners but the 4163B generally butchers them (I did manage one good 12x burn; usually even 8x results in a coaster).

Is that true of all the MCC03, or just the India/Taiwan-produced versions? I’ll take your word as gospel since you’re the :bow: on Verb/MCC media. I’ve only burned 1 disc of MCC03 (Singapore) in my Px712 and it produced the best scan I ever did. I understand that might not be the case with the Moser-Baer/CMC produced versions.

In my opinion, LiteOn DVD writers serve very well as boat anchors these days …

Love your avatar…don’t agree with your opinion as it pertains to the 1693. Up until that drive I would have agreed. Try it, you might like it. :slight_smile:

I have a 1673S and owned a 411S way back in the past … did some test burns on quality media (MCC003 etc.) which turned out to be crap compared to BenQ 1620 and Plex 712A/716A … now I’m using it as a reading/scanning device only …

I have had 2 older Liteons and they also were only useful for scanning. There is a big difference between the 1673 and the 1693. I goy mine only for scanning as well and was very surprised that it was such an improved burner.

I think both the Plextor 740A and LiteOn 1693S are great drives. Either is a good choice for now.

The Plextor is a really fast reader, with high quality writes, especially on + DVD media. No scanning though. It also had issues with DL media.

I was pleasantly surprised at the LiteOn. While not the fastest reader, it still has decent writes on a variety of media. Although it did have issues with DVD+R at 16x, and DVD-RW at 6x.

So there’s the tossup: scanning vs. faster reading. You have to decide.

If you look at the reviews on my signature, you’ll see I have tested both drives. If you want to see the two drives, mounted in the same system, writing batches of the same media, and scanned by the same other LiteOn drive, this is your chance.

Back on topic.

I would recommend Plextor 716A over 740A. :wink:

I would recommend BenQ 1640 + LiteOn 1693 (or LG 4163/4165/4167 or I don’t) over Plextor 716. One would pay the same. =P