First impression of MyCE

vbimport

Introducing myself, I’m Poul from Denmark, and I’m here to learn about reliability of different media, currently DVD/Blu-ray discs in particular.

First off, MyCE appears to be a solid community with plenty of valuable info. But I will question your policy about restricting access to attachments. From my point of view it serves as “bait” to make new members. If I’m wrong, enlighten me about the actual purpose.

Regardless, in practice this is how it works. You gain new members who join not because they can/will contribute new info, but because they cannot access the info they’re looking for in any other way. Such members will then be disappointed/annoyed to find that they still can’t view attachments after joining. Some will leave angry and never come back. Others will make 2 posts in order to access attachments even though they have nothing useful to post. Finally, some do start making meaningful contributions, but given that they actually have something to contribute there’s a fair chance they’d eventually join without “bait” anyway - and that they would have been happier to do so.

The Internet is full of meaningless and/or dead memberships and clutter that makes it harder to find the info you are looking for. Like it or not, your attachment policy contributes to this, and it somewhat ruins the first impression of MyCE. It’s not good for the Internet, and it’s hard to believe that it is actually good for MyCE either - other than for the membership number, but I’d argue that’s a poor metric for the quality of a user community.

Whether the attachment policy really is bait or it serves a more noble purpose I would urge you to consider if it is really the best option. I hope you can agree that it has some highly undesirable drawbacks. This was the only way I could think of making a meaningful contribution, but I would much rather have been able to see the info I came for and saved us the time.

Higher membership numbers do have some benefits. Restricting attachments has more to do with bandwidth. Very small websites like MyCE in terms of capital and profits cannot spend millions on server bandwidth.

There used to be thousands of members several years ago on this forum posting questions and information.

@ flyvholm: Welcome. That is a great first post. You are right about the two post minimum being off-putting to many people. To me it is indeed a sad thing that so many internet users demand instant gratification. However a lot of hard work and research has gone into the information on this site and asking people to acknowledge that by posting twice before accessing said data (IMO) is only a minor inconvenience.

Yes it is a great first post and let me welcome you to Myce.com. If there is anything we can do to help you please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you for your excellent post flyvholm. We will reconsider this again. The second post rule is there to encourage people to post something. The reason we restrict viewing of attachments is also to save bandwidth and to stop copyright troll bots which crawl the web to find copyrighted images and let you pay for it.

We work very hard to get our forum clean of this, but you’ll never know. We’ll likely make some changes soon to this policy, so stay tuned :wink:

[QUOTE=DoMiN8ToR;2715372]Thank you for your excellent post flyvholm. We will reconsider this again. The second post rule is there to encourage people to post something. The reason we restrict viewing of attachments is also to save bandwidth and to stop copyright troll bots which crawl the web to find copyrighted images and let you pay for it.

We work very hard to get our forum clean of this, but you’ll never know. We’ll likely make some changes soon to this policy, so stay tuned ;)[/QUOTE]

@flyyholm a while back we had a lot of spybot activity and they were annoying and the two post rule helped get rid of a lot of this.I myself do not like the ads and annoying bots,I thank the management for the hard work they put in the make this site work .O and flyyholm welcome to MyCE.

Thank you all for a very positive response. I can follow all the points stated. I was unaware of “copyright bots” which IMO is greed gone too far, but that’s a separate topic. I’ve helped moderate a smaller but growing forum (Timescapes) where spam bots became increasingly problematic and the first two posts now require moderator approval. Out of curiosity, how are you managing this problem? That forum also encourages external hosting of images (somewhat clumsily by deleting uploaded images after 6 months), but I did find a post stating why you think that’s a bad idea - and I have to agree. Likewise, I can only applaud that you keep the forum ad free to members.

Though I hope there are better alternatives to blocking attachments, I can see why it’s a compelling solution to several problems. Whatever your policy ends up being I would suggest that you make an explanation clearly visible (if it’s posted somewhere I didn’t manage to find it). In fact I would suggest that you add a sentence about it to the messages unregistered users see when visiting the forum. What’s there now does give the impression that the attachment policy serves the purpose of making new members. How about the message for missing attachments reading something like:

Sorry, due to copyright and bandwidth restrictions only registered users with min. 2 posts can view and download attachments. (+encouragement/link for registering)

Displaying the 2-post policy (or what you end up with) will probably stop some from registering, but hopefully you are not meaning to make these people sign up anyway. The result should be fewer dead members and a better first impression of MyCE.

Given my newly achieved 2-post record it’s time to educate myself. :wink: While I’m here I’d like to express my gratitude to the administrators and moderators that put in the effort required to maintain this wealth of info. Thank you!

[QUOTE=flyvholm;2715998]Thank you all for a very positive response. I can follow all the points stated. I was unaware of “copyright bots” which IMO is greed gone too far, but that’s a separate topic. I’ve helped moderate a smaller but growing forum (Timescapes) where spam bots became increasingly problematic and the first two posts now require moderator approval. Out of curiosity, how are you managing this problem? [/QUOTE]

We’ve been using the StopForumSpam plugin for a considerable time now which has dramatically reduced spam and also blocks spammers known to their database.

Nothing is ever perfect though so we’re always trying to improve things and I believe we’ve been looking at alternatives recently to see what’s out there.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Thanks again flyvholm, due to your comments we have made modifications. For many forums we have removed the 2 post limit, so that attachments are now also viewable by guest. Only heavily spammed forums are still according to the old rules. I agree that a better explanation would be good, something we’ll also change.