First burn with 712a

Recived my 712a in a retail box today. No media in the box just some applications like Nero, Power DVD, Pinnacle Studio 9 etc.

Did my first burn using Verbatim 4x DVD-R burned at 4x, media code: MCC 01RG20.

Everything went smooth and heres the result of the PI/PO test

btw. installed firmware is 1.0.3 and the MFD is June 2004

Here’s another graph from a burn with cheap media “SKY 4x DVD-R” burned at 4x media code: AN32

Very Nice Results :slight_smile: , i used the Verbatim 4x DVD-R discs for my first burn (not incl. the horrific Mirror discs shiver) at 8x and worked great aswell.

btw… not to be nosey but how much did you buy yours for? mine was £71 (retail)

www.microdirect.co.uk

I payed £80 in Sweden from a local dealer…always nice to have him around :slight_smile: so I’ll try to support him whenever his price is fair.

Is there’s a way to force the recorder to burn at 8x? I can only choose 1x or 4x in Nero when use Verbatim 4x DVD-R.

btw. here’s another graph…hehe… Verbatim DVD-RW 2x (media code: MCC 01…RW1) burned at 2x, this disc was erased before burning using the fast erase option in Nero. This disc has been burned about 10 times in my Pioneer A05 burner and I have always used the fast erase option. Maybe the final result have been even better if I have choosed the compleate erase option in Nero before burning.

Excelent results!

Is there’s a way to force the recorder to burn at 8x? I can only choose 1x or 4x in Nero when use Verbatim 4x DVD-R.

i believe if you leave the speed in Nero on ‘maximum’ it should work.

I don’t have the maximum as an option in Nero only 2x and 4x …even changed the firmware to 1.0.5

Lucky you nexxor. My 712a barfed twice at Verbatim 4x DVD-R MCC 01RG20 at 4x. Wouldn’t even complete the write.

Hehe…not so lucky anymore :sad: did 3 good burns to start with but after that I have had 5 burns that didn’t compleate. Well this drive will be returnd to Plextor…

from Nero log:

00:26:52 #29 CDR -1093 File WriterStatus.cpp, Line 164
No seek complete
PLEXTOR DVDR PX-712A\H3 T0
00:26:52 #30 TRANSFER -24 File WriterStatus.cpp, Line 164
Could not perform end of Disc-at-once
00:26:52 #31 Text 0 File dlgbrnst.cpp, Line 1699
Set remaining time: 0:00,000 (0ms) -> OK
00:26:52 #32 Phase 67 File dlgbrnst.cpp, Line 1841
Burn process failed

Hi Nexxor and welcome to the forum

You wrote Verbatim 4x DVD-R burned at 4x (media code: MCC 01RG20) and that’s great with a DVD - R media , but You should try DVD + R instead .
The 712 can maximum write 8x with -media , while 12x with +media so if You like to speed it up You have to find unusually good DVD-R-media OR some standard DVD+R-media !

And try a Ricoh , Ty etc.

Sorry to hear that about Your writer , this supports my suspicion regarding the (assumed) dangerous temperatures when writing to a CD-RW or a DVD-RW :

btw. here’s another graph…hehe… Verbatim DVD-RW 2x (media code: MCC 01…RW1) burned at 2x, this disc was erased before burning using the fast erase option in Nero. This disc has been burned about 10 times in my Pioneer A05 burner and I have always used the fast erase option. Maybe the final result have been even better if I have choosed the compleate erase option in Nero before burning.
Post 4

Throw away those killer-rewritables …

And what makes you think that your drive is the problem? You shouldn’t jump to conclusions this fast. If your drive produced great discs before there is no reason why it would suddenly stop working. Agreed, it can happen but it would be better to first do some tests to see what the actual problem is. For instance, you could simply be using bad media. Try running the self-diagnostics test or try the drive in another system. If you need help be sure to mention more information on your system like hardware, software (versions), drivers, etc.

Here’s another graph from a burn with cheap media “SKY 4x DVD-R” burned at 4x media code: AN32

Use Recommended brands of dvd media that Plextor supports.

Hehe…not so lucky anymore did 3 good burns to start with but after that I have had 5 burns that didn’t compleate. Well this drive will be returnd to Plextor…

I also :iagree: with GameFreek that you should test the drive out by doing the diagnositc self test before returning the drive. Everyone jumps to the conclusion that the drive is defective. Use good quality media with Plextor DVD burners. SKY isn’t good media to begin with.

Well the media I used wich failed was Verbatim 4x DVD-R media code: MCC 01RG20. I have burned about 40 of these Verbatim discs (from a 50 pcs cakebox) in my Pioneer A05 at 4x speed and not a single has failed.

So I put these discs in my 712 and 5 of 8 has failed…that’s why I thought it was a hardware faliure.

The SKY burn graph you see above was just a one shot. Just wanted to know how well my 712 performed this kind of low qulity media.

Just bought a batch with Verbatim 8x DVD+R media just hope they will perform better than the Verbatim 4x DVD-R.

btw. how to do a self test on the unit? can’t find it in Plextor Professional Tools

The self test is described in the FAQ, manual, and posted in different places on line.

1. Use recommended media
  2. Remove the data cable and jumper the CS and Slave jumpers
  3. Turn power on while holding down the eject button. LED will alternate green/amber
  4. Release the button, tray will open
  5. Load disc. Test takes about 10 minutes. A good test will eject the disc, a bad test will blink one or two times.

Thanks for the information, will maybe do a test later on…strange is that the Verbatim 8x DVD+R (media code: MCC 003) seems to work just fine! I have done some test with this media and at 8x the result is great! So far I’ve done 4 burns and all have completed without any errors.

Looks like it’s very critical what media you use with 712 not even media recommended by Plextor seems to work all the time. The Verbatim 4x DVD-R media is on there list but my experience is not so good.

Heres a scan from the Verbatim 8x DVD+R burned at 8x.
Media code is: MCC 003
Revision: Unknown

Nothing wrong with that drive! I still use the best quality media I can get without going bankrupt. My burns are low error, they play in my player, and I can still use discs burned months ago without any apparent degradation in quality. Many complain that the drives are faulty because they don’t happen to burn a specific media brand. Well, with all the talk of fake media (see the newsitems for 9/7), and the apparent classification of media by the vendors into various grades, it’s no wonder that some get poor results. Gargage in, Garbage out. Yes, the drive is picky. For that reason I stick with what works for me and have not regretted it at all.

Yeah, good scan nexxor. To make you feel better, here is my Verbatim +R x8 MCC 003 00 scan when burnt at 8x.

Try to find some MCC/Verbatim 8x with the banner “certified for 12x”. Verbatim had a problem where the 8x wouldn’t write well at 8x, let alone at 12x. Not the drive problem, and it’s why Plextor took Verbatim off their recommended list for a short time. I think the new stuff hit around July.

Just an update on my problems burning Verbatim DVD-R 4x printable (media code: MCC 01RG20) with my Plextor 712a

I contacted Anne Mette Sprunk-Jansen at Verbatim Scandinavia regarding my problems with the media. She wanted me to send her the discs that have failed and she would do a futher investigiation to establish if the discs are genuin Verbatim or fakes.

I did send here 2 of my discs that didn’t complete correct last friday and today I recived 10 new discs from Verbatim in my post box. Anne Mette wrote that they will contact me as soon as they have any news regarding my discs.

But I think I already have the answer… the discs how failed for me are genuin Verbatim media because the discs I recived from Verbatim has the same media code and has the same burning failure :frowning:

First discs I tested compleated just fine…the second one didn’t… just before end of burning the message “burn failed” appears on my screen.

Well I have to use my Piooner 105 to burn these discs…nothing wrong with that but it would have be nice if I could use my Plextor to do the job instead.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with my Plex drive, I belivie this is a firmware issue…the drive performes very well with Verbatim DVD+R 8x so far and I have 30 of 30 lucky burns with that media.

send 2 got 10 back, that’s 5x… wow, you should send her 10 and you will get a full 50 pack spindle :bigsmile: