Firmware writing program

i used vs .net embeded complier… to the specs needed for this… it works

I have, but only small easy things :slight_smile:

I’m not very good at it sadly :sad:

The guys doing mechatronics ‘tho, they’re friggin’ awesome at it, so I know it’s very possible to write good, tight and bug-free code in ASM. I’m told that in microcontrol and firmware programming, it’s generally a lot better to do it in assembly because there is better control over things like timing etc…
They reckon higher-level languages are only used for non-critical parts of the code because it’s difficult to get a compiler to output stuff that is both tight, but predictable.
They need the tightness because firmwares aren’t supposed to be storing HUGE programs, but they also have to be predictable to avoid unforseen bugs - If you’ve ever compiled a non-trival C/C++ program at maximum optimization, you probably know what I mean :wink: (Esp. with gcc…! :()

But I know little about this kinda stuff - From what I’ve seen the programming style is quite different from the stuff I’ve coded…!

To be fair 'tho, as firmwares get bigger, code-bloat will (has?) creep in, and as that happens I guess more and more of the code will be written in higher-level languages, in the way that almost no desktop software uses ASM anymore, except maybe game-engines…

game engiones alrdy use c#

Not for any fast-paced ones I suspect :wink:
The main loops are still written in ASM a lot of the time for speed. I’m not sure about Unreal - They took to OOP in a big way, but I’m pretty sure iD still uses asm for their inner loops.

I must say I like C# as a language - It’s definitely a lot more elegant than C++ (Which, while powerful, is a shitty language IMHO), but I’m not seen it in used in native-binary compiles before, only in .NET crap… What’s it like? Stable optimisations, speed, size etc.?

I’m still a hard-core C person at the moment for native-code. Python’s probably my fav. language for interpreted atm :wink:

c# suxx0rs, I like ch33s3 better…