Firmware Version 2.27 for NEC 3500A?

Yo-

Is there a new version 2.27 for the 3500?

If so - who wrote it?

Is it any good?

What is different than Herries version 2.17?

Thanks-

Mike

Yes, written by NEC for the IODATA OEM drive, check out this thread for details.

The main differences are 8x support for Ritek R03 DVD+R discs in 2.27 (Herrie = 4x max.) and the lack of Ritek DL support (not that tragic, since Ritek DL media quality is pretty poor). Furthermore, there is a “plus” version of the firmware available with bitsetting support, RPC I and riplock removed (check the thread), just like the Herrie 2.17 firmware.

Write strategies comparison between Herrie 2.17 and NEC / IODATA 2.27:

+---------+-------------+-------------+
|         | Herrie 2.17 | IODATA 2.27 |
|   CD-R  |    1.23     |    1.24     |
|  CD-RW  |    1.24     |    1.24     |
|  DVD-R  |    1.37     |    1.37     |
| DVD-RW  |    1.30     |    1.32     |
|  DVD+R  |    1.51     |    1.52     |
| DVD+RW  |    1.37     |    1.37     |
| DVD+R9  |    1.22     |    1.23     |

Conclusion:
Both firmwares are stable and can be recommended. If you have a lot of Ritek R03 discs, and don’t care about Ritek DL support, updating to 2.27 makes sense.

Yo packetloss-

Again - I am in awe of your thorough answers and I thank you for that (you are one of the few that realize that these threads are read by thousands - not just the writers)

Looks as if I will stick with my Herries 2.17 as there is no compelling need to switch-

Thanks again-

Mike

No problem, glad I could help. Thanks for the kind words.

After reading all the threads here, I’m more confused. Which firmware is the best…v2.17, 2.c8_se, or 2.27. Rightnow, I have the 2.C8 firmware, and I am using Verbatim datalifeplus 8X DVD+R disc.

2c8 is good, it has the newest write strategies also (even newer than NEC / IODATA 2.27 this thread is about). Keep it if you don’t have any problems.

Keep your eye on the official ND-3500 download page for any f/w:

http://www.de.nec.de/softwareoverview2.php/id/1133/mode/D/gid/56