Firmware Upgrade Trashed my 811S?

vbimport

I just applied the latest firmware upgrade to my LDW-811S. Upon reboot, there was no power to the drive, no response and “no nothing.” I have had about a dozen different CD-ROM and DVD-ROM drives and more than half a dozen burners, I’ve updated firmware on all of them and this is the first time something like this has happened- disconcerting at the least. I’m waiting for Lite-On’s response.

Originally posted by rmunde
I just applied the latest firmware upgrade to my LDW-811S. Upon reboot, there was no power to the drive, no response and “no nothing.” I have had about a dozen different CD-ROM and DVD-ROM drives and more than half a dozen burners, I’ve updated firmware on all of them and this is the first time something like this has happened- disconcerting at the least. I’m waiting for Lite-On’s response.

Try downloading mtkflash for DOS and see if it will recognize the burner (do a clean boot to a DOS prompt to use it). I’d suggest just attempting to READ your existing firmware to a file before trying to re-flash the drive.

Was there a disc in the drive when you flashed it? There should be no disc inserted during a flash.

Originally posted by dentman42
Was there a disc in the drive when you flashed it? There should be no disc inserted during a flash.

This shouldn’t be the cause of the problem, I don’t think… I have flashed with a disc in the drive many times.

No disc. I followed the instructions as given. I’ve done this before many times on this and other drives. Just never with such disasterous results.

[QUOTEWas there a disc in the drive when you flashed it? There should be no disc inserted during a flash. [/B][/QUOTE]

No, no disc. I’ll try mtkflash in DOS, though since the BIOS don’t detect the drive, I’m not hopeful. Thanks for your suggestion.

[B]Try downloading mtkflash for DOS and see if it will recognize the burner (do a clean boot to a DOS prompt to use it). I’d suggest just attempting to READ your existing firmware to a file before trying to re-flash the drive.

Was there a disc in the drive when you flashed it? There should be no disc inserted during a flash. [/B]

No, no disc. I’ll try mtkflash in DOS, though since the BIOS don’t detect the drive, I’m not hopeful. Thanks for your suggestion.

If you get a bad flash, it’s common for the BIOS not to see the drive. I think in the case of Lite On drives you usually get a light on the drive though.

since the BIOS don’t detect the drive, I’m not hopeful.

Don’t lose hope yet, that is mtkflash’s specialty. :iagree:

Have a read here if you haven’t already.

Thanks Ssseth. Hope always springs eternal with me. If it didn’t, I would have given up on computers in general and CD/DVD burning in particular a long time ago. I’ll give mtkflash a shot when I get home tonight.

Originally posted by Ssseth
[B]Don’t lose hope yet, that is mtkflash’s specialty. :iagree:

Have a read here if you haven’t already. [/B]

Bummer. No light.

If you get a bad flash, it’s common for the BIOS not to see the drive. I think in the case of Lite On drives you usually get a light on the drive though.

Bummer. No light.

Is the power connector firmly connected?
Might just be coincidence…

Maybe the LED blew :wink:

Try MTKflash regardless…

MTKFLASH is like a sorcerer. :bow: It does NOT need the drive to be detected by BIOS. It just needs to know how is the drive connected; you give that to mtkflash.exe as a command prompt parameter.

1 - Primary Master
2 - Primary Slave
3 - Secondary Master
4 - Secondary Slave

As dentman42 said - try to read your firmware first to see if MTKFLASH works correctly. After that you can force another firmware in the drive. /you need to have it in BINary form; lots of them can be found on dhc014.rpc1.org or you can extract it from LiteON’s EXE flasher using utility from Comprehensive LiteOn Tools Collection 3.24 thread/

/offtopic

/* Intel P4 3.0 GHz 800 FSB, Abit IC7 Max 3, 2 GB Crucial 3200 SDRAM, ATI Radeon 9800 AIW Pro, SyncMaster 213T, SB Audigy 2 Platinum ZS Pro, Lite-On LDW-811S, PlexWriter Premium, Toshiba SD-M1612-S, Plextor PX-40TS, 2 WD 120 GB SATA hard drives (RAID0 array), 2 WD 100 GB IDE hard drives, Adaptec 2940UW, Antec TruePower 550 PSU, Addtronics 7890A case, Windows XP Pro */
:eek:

What do you use it for… Nuclear fusion?:wink:

offtopic/

Originally posted by DavesMan
[B]/offtopic

offtopic/ [/B]

You silly bugger :stuck_out_tongue:
Isn’t it obvious he uses it to simulate the effects of changes in magnetic flux for every single object in the known universe, in real time? :bigsmile:

Oh, and way too much spare money…

Not likely…
He could fit every single object in the known universe into 440 GB of hard disc space but working with them in realtime would be practically impossible with only 2 GB of RAM …==> lots of annoying swapping. :rolleyes:

That and really fast WordStar editing. <BG>

Actually I play with Photoshop, video editing, and web development. I do software development and some of the above during the day at work with a really sucky machine. At home, I have a choice.

Originally posted by DavesMan
[B]/offtopic

offtopic/ [/B]

…so what happened to your drive?

mtkflash reports error opening input file.

Originally posted by Ssseth
…so what happened to your drive?

Which version of MTKFlash are you using? IIRC, dhc014 stated that we need to use MTKFlash 1.80.1 at the very least for DVD writers. Is your firmware .bin file the correct size?

Originally posted by Bhairav
Which version of MTKFlash are you using? IIRC, dhc014 stated that we need to use MTKFlash 1.80.1 at the very least for DVD writers. Is your firmware .bin file the correct size?

Actually, 1.69 is the earliest that appears to support Liteon DVD Burners… 1.80.1 is the version that you should not include the “/b” flag with since this version defaults to binary mode whereas all other versions default to hexidecimal mode.

Ah! I was using 1.80.1 and did use the /b flag as per the instructions. I’ll try again without that flag when I get home. Thanks.

Originally posted by dhc014
Actually, 1.69 is the earliest that appears to support Liteon DVD Burners… 1.80.1 is the version that you should not include the “/b” flag with since this version defaults to binary mode whereas all other versions default to hexidecimal mode.