Firmware upgrade through USB

I am getting a NEC ND-3500a DVD Burner for Christmas. I am installing this in an external USB 2.0 enclosure. I am interested in the possibility of upgrading the firmware, but I am not sure if I can do this through the USB. I have checked NEC’s website and they say not to do it through USB, but I don’t know about the 3rd party firmware upgrades.

Any information on doing this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tim

As long as you are logged in as an administrator to a Windows 2000/XP/2003 machine, NEC’s updates should work through USB. A Win32 version of BinFlash should also work on this setup.

NEC probably says “don’t do it” since they don’t sell and USB drives themselves.

Moved to the NEC forum.

Welcome to forum :wink:

I upgraded my NEC 3500 in USB2 enclosure with stock 2.18 firmware a few days ago without any problem.

Liggy´s Binflash (NECWinFlash) is also working, to my knowledge, if you like to upgrade to “3rd party” firmware.

Note. My enclosure has a Ali USB2 chip.

thank you, that puts my mind at ease. BTW, I know there are people out there that don’t understand why I would put this drive in an enclosure, and the reason is because I am using it with a laptop. The assumption by some people is that laptops all have 4500 rpm hard drives. Mine is 7200 rpm and I think this will be a good setup even if I won’t be able to burn at 16x.

i wouldn’t risk the usb messing up the drive. its alot more work later on to fix it in dos if you have errors

I have upgraded the firmware using NECWinFlash and it works great. I have actually flashed about 4 times so far.