Firmware upgrade question

vbimport

hi, i owned a DW1655 Benq dvd writer. I read about firmware upgrade and did a search. http://support.benq.com/front/BenqMain.asp?MenuHead=128&ShowType=program&FileURL=service/driverlist.asp&Dataid=21205&downloadclass=Driver&product=3731&langu=null&ops=null&GenMenu=&RootId=undefined

So my question is, what is the difference between the 3 versions, BCIB,BCHB,BCDB.

Another question, will there be a difference after the firmware upgrade?

Hello, there are no easy answers. Most people have opinions based on their own testing of each firmware using various media, scans and other parameters they may set for themselves.

Generally (unless I hear of some really bad issues with a certain firmware) I’ll go with the latest and only experiment with older firmware if I run into any issues (high ammount of errors, slow burn times or any other odd behaviour) with the newest one.

There are some people with a totally oposite opinion of “if it aint broke, don’t fix it” who like to keep the firmware their drive came with and will only “upgrade” to later versions if they run into problems.

Finally some people will spend a lot of time comparing burns and scans of their media with different firmware looking for that “perfect burn”. I don’t like to worry that much about very slight variances between error scanning rates. Again, if one firmware is giving very bad results though I might experiment.

In the case of this particular drive, I haven’t heard conclusive evidence one way or another about which firmware is “better”.

If you read the last 7 pages or so of this thread it should help you make a choice. I went with BCIB myself and so far so good, but I am only using TYG03 and MCC004 discs right now.

Be the way, welcome to CD Freaks. :slight_smile: