Firmware upgrade on a DVDRW DRW-3S163 BSG2

vbimport

I have been trying to upgrade the firmware on this ‘Digital Max/Lite-on’ DVD drive but so far all the .exe flash upgrades says it can’t see the drive.

I think I can do it with EEPROM_Utility.exe if I can get my hands on the BSG5 bin file. I tried doing a ‘default’ flash upgrade on it but the drives indicator started blinking non-stop so I flashed the original bin file back to the drive.

Ultimately what I am hoping to achieve is for the drive to recognize and let me use this Dynex DVD +R DL media I have. So far when I put this media in the drive and run up any of my favorite burning software the computer locks up when it is trying to read the book type.

Anyway, I am hoping for helpful suggestions or a link to the bin file that would be the best choice.

As you can see below the eprom utility sees the drive and like I said I have been flashing it with that but I can’t find the bin file that would be the best choice.

I also tried flashing some 1653S.CSOT bin files like ‘Cs09.bin’ but it give me the same message as my first image above.

I have even unplugged the drive from my Promise Ultra 66 card and plugged it straight into the IDE connector on the mainboard with the same results.

Thanks everyone for your time…

Iolo

Welcome to cdfreaks. :slight_smile:

Rather old drive and Verbatim MKM-001 is the best (and only) DVD+R DL media I would recommend you.

I hope you backed up your eeprom and firmware before your crossflashing attempts.

BTW, all kind of “sensetive” flashing must always be performed on mobos native IDE channel.

Welcome to cdfreaks :slight_smile:
Use the drive on a mainboard connector only, at least while flashing the firmware and for the first tests.
Your screenshot does not tell us which .exe file you started. Did you really start 1653S.CS0R.patched-cf-mcled.exe ?

The image is me using the BSG5 one but I did attempt to flash it with the 1653S but I don’t think it did anything because of the error.

The drive is still working fine and I do have a backup of the firmware plus I am sure I could get a copy of the BSG2 bin to fix it if it was flashed with a problem bin file right? Anyway, I think that the eprom utility will do the job if I can get the right bin file.

I thought I had read here that the 1653S CSOT was a good choice to flash upgrade this drive with.

Back up your current firmware with the flash utility, get a 1633 firmware from http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares.html#SOHW-1633S, e.g. BS0Y-stock version, unpack it and flash the .bin file from the raw_bin_version with the flash utility. Now your drive is a Liteon 1633 drive.

If you like you can flash the 1653-cf firmware you already have now in a second step.
In a third step you could use the eeprom utility to really convert your drive to a 1653 drive, so you can use the official 1653 firmwares.

ala42>Back up your current firmware with the flash utility, get a 1633 firmware from http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares.html#SOHW-1633S, e.g. BS0Y-stock version, unpack it and flash the .bin file from the raw_bin_version with the flash utility. Now your drive is a Liteon 1633 drive.

If you like you can flash the 1653-cf firmware you already have now in a second step.
In a third step you could use the eeprom utility to really convert your drive to a 1653 drive, so you can use the official 1653 firmwares.

ala42 the EEPROM_Utility.exe describes this bin Bs0y.bin as an invalid eprom file. So I can’t do step one above.

flash utility and eeprom utility are two different programs…
http://codeguys.rpc1.org/utilities.html

Thanks chok0!

Ok so I got the first step done you described. I still can’t seem to use the windows flash programs so I must resort to bin files.

Is is going to be a good move for me to next flash 1653S.CS0T.stock - Cs0t.bin?

I am inclined to think this is good now but I trust you guys more then I do myself now.

You can flash the 1653 firmware to your drive.
But please modify the EEPROM first (the EEPROM tool can do this for you). :slight_smile:

Ok so this is a moot point now as I have done it but just so I understand. You had me do ala42’s third step before flashing the 1653 firmware to the drive. Right? :smiley:

Are there now additional improvements I should consider? Like will the omni patcher do something more for me now?

Or how about my PleXwriter can I improve that burner also?