Firmware Upgrade LVW-5005XS

vbimport

Hello Everyone!

I’ve done a search and browsed through the forums and come up dry so far. I’ve had a 5005XS and have been thouroughly pleased with it until today when I tried to do something simple like play a DVD. I’ve got a rented copy of “Memoires of a Geisha” which was not playing smoothly up to the point when it would not play at all. The disc is in mint condition (physically). I tried playing it in my picky Samsung player and it plays smooth as can be. While it is playing in the LiteOn I can hear the drive seeking a lot, particularily when playback becomes unstable. I have tried other purchased DVD’s, and they play fine, but I still hear the heavy seeking during playback.

On to the firmware question. I would like to flash the firmware before going back to the store about this player; other than this issue I am very happy with it (as a recording device). I downloaded the latest firmware from LiteOn and unzipped the file, but instead of the .iso image file I was expecting I got an .eso file. Do I just burn this file to CD as is and feed it to the player?

Thanks in advance for your help,

• Justin

Well, I simply burned the file to a data CD and the player took the upgrade. However, there is still a lot of seeking going on during playback. I wouldn’t care as it does not seem to affect playback (the rented disc has gone back now), but I don’t want the drive to wear our prematurely! Anyone else come across this?

To me, it seems like to be more of an issue with the drive than the recorder’s firmware. Unfortunately, the LVW-500x series have been known to give early failure (more so for recording), however in some cases it is generally a result of dust building up on the laser lens. This forum even has a huge thread covering the LVW-5005.

For a start, I would recommend running a dry-based laser lens cleaning disc in it. If you can easily get hold of high alcoholic cleaning fluid, you can try a wet/dry disc instead, but first ensure the cleaning fluid does not leave any residue by placing a drop on the shiny side of a disc and checking if it leaves any residue when it dries up. If a cleaning disc does not help, I would recommend bringing the drive back for repair/replacement under its warranty.

On the other hand, if only that rented disc gave issues, I would just assume it to be a faulty or picky disc, even though your Samsung player was capable of playing it. For example, while your Samsung player may be picky reading some media (which your Lite-On can play), there is a good chance you’ll find media that works the other way around also.

Thanks for the reply Seán. As the player was only 5 days old, I didn’t see how a dirty lense could be causing the issue (I hope Liteon’s plant’s aren’t that dusty!). If it was just one rented disc I could have let it go as a difficult disc, but after a 2nd disc did not play properly (again with no visible flaws)
I ended up taking the unit back for warrenty, and they gave me a new machine on the spot (I could not cause another playback issue, but you could still hear the drive seeking lots). Glad to say that the new player seems to run much smoother, no playback issues so far. I think I can write this one off as a defect and carry on liking the product! :slight_smile:

HELLO EVERYONE;

I’AM A NEW GUY, IVE BEEN READING AND TAKING IN REGARDIN MY LITE ON DVD RECORDER. HOW TO FIX MY UNITS FAILURE TO RECOGNIZE 16X DISCS.
AFTER DOWNLOADING THE ZIP FILES AND EXTRACTING THE FILES WHAT DO I DO NOW TO GET THE UPGRADE INTO MY MACHINE.

HELP HELP THE NOVICE :sad:

You burn it to a CD-R and put it into your DVD recorder and when you are asked if you want to upgrade the firmware you click yes and it will do it for you.

I would suggest you go back to the Lite-On site where you got the firmware update from and you will see directions how to update firmware. Its very easy to do. BUT if you don’t do it right the machine could be history.

FYI you can also downgrade to hacked 0098 firmware to gain 3 hour record mode, make region free and remove macrovision copy protection. I and others have done this resulting in fixed 16x media issue plus gain hacked firmware advantages. See http://ncc2315.com/ilo/ for instructions on how to hack as well as link to archive of LiteOn firmware where you may find firmware needed for your unit. BTW you may use a CDRW instead of CDR to avoid wasting disc to update firmware.

I wouldn’t recommend doing this while your unit is under warenty.