Firmware Upgrade Gone Rancid with Lite-On DVD

After downloading the Firmware upgrade for my LTD-163 DVDRom:

D163GH5Q.zip 176KB 2002/09/03

I proceeded to run the firmware upgrade program on my computer. It erased the memory, and during the updating process it froze. I clicked close and it said something about rewriting some info. Then said Firmware flash successfull and prompted to reboot. I have not been able to detect it at all in the BIOS, win98 and Windows XP. I also have a Plexwriter 16/10/40A which also ceased to work in WinXP but I was able to perform a successful firmware upgrade in win98 and also had to uninstall it from windows XP and let it be redetected. When I just connect the 4Pin power cable from the Power Supply and no attach the IDE cable there are no lights on the drive upon boot up. There is no power going to the drive and I am not sure what I should do to make it work.

My computer setup is:

Athlon T-Bird 1333@1518 w/ Arkua 7528
ABIT KT7A RAID
384MB PC133 Cas2
CL Geforce 2 GTS 32MB
SBlive! 5.1
Plextor 16/10/40A (Secondary Master)
Lite-On LTD-163 (16X/48X DVD-Rom (Primary Master
2 Quantum 30GB’s in RAID0 (IDE3 Master and IDE4 Master)
Western Digital 18GB 7200rpm (Primary Slave)
Antec SX830/1030 (mutated) W/ 300W PS
Windows XP Pro
Windows 98SE

I purchase the Lite-On DVD-Rom in August of 2001, and the company has since gone into Revievership (aka bankrupt i think). I have upgraded the Firmware on the Drive successfully before and this is the first time there has been a problem. I downloaded the Firmware from http://www.jlms.com.tw/webfw/LTD-163/USER/D163GH5Q.zip .

What Suggestions do you have for me to go about reviving my DVD Rom or replacing, or repairing it?

Thanks for your help

PcX

I don’t hope so, but maybe your drive is dead. Maybe you can get it alive with MTKflash. Read here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42502
And good luck. Let me know if it works.

There’s a very good chance to revive your drive. When you finished reading the thread Nicowico gave you, visit my site for the Binary firmwares and some specific advice.

Good luck :slight_smile:

Thank You Thank YOu Thank YOuThank You Thank YOu Thank YOuThank You Thank YOu Thank YOuThank You Thank YOu Thank YOuThank You Thank YOu Thank YOuThank You Thank YOu Thank YOuThank You Thank YOu Thank YOuThank You Thank YOu Thank YOuThank You Thank YOu Thank YOuThank You Thank YOu Thank YOuThank You Thank YOu Thank YOuThank You Thank YOu Thank YOuThank You Thank YOu Thank YOuThank You Thank YOu Thank YOuThank You Thank YOu Thank YOuThank You Thank YOu Thank YOuThank You Thank YOu Thank YOuThank You Thank YOu Thank YOuThank You Thank YOu Thank YOu

I used MTKFLASH with the BIN file provided by Mango and booted with just the Lite-On DVD drive… I watched as it erased and rewrote and all of the sudden blinkblink* goes the LED on my DVD drive. IM SO HAPPY.

THANK YOU so much for helping me fix my DVD drive. /me lubs yew All!!

Now… I will NEVER use windows based flash utilities again… I sure learned my lesson.

Thanks again :wink:

PcX

No thanks at all:bigsmile:

Happy to see happy :bigsmile:

enjoy your drive :cool:

Glad to hear that you got your drive back working again, but here’s some advice you might find useful if your in the UK.

If you bought your drive with a credit card, your credit card company is liable for any breach of contract under the Consumer Credit Act (1974), which means you’ve got two options should the goods you buy on the credit card subsequently turn out to be faulty.

The item, however, has to be in excess of £100 (maybe not in your case). These rights are given to you under the Consumer Credit Act (1974) under a principle known as ‘Equal Liability’. This means that the credit card company and the supplier have the same obligations and responsibilities to you for the goods being satisfactory. If the goods turn out to be faulty you’ve got two ports of call - the retailer (not if their receivership) and the credit card company.

Mind you I would tell them you tried flashing their drive (he he).

chrome ;0)