Firmware upgrade for Optorite DD0203

Hi,

I am trying to upgrade my DVD burner’s firmware to 2.09. I have downloaded the DV2_209.zip file from www.optorite.com, which says it can be used for both Win2k and WinXP.

After unzipping all the files, I ran the DVD2Flash.exe under WinXP. I then get an error message saying that CDDRV.SYS file cannot be loaded. The program continued to work and allowed me to select the new firmware. After upgrading the firmware, I rebooted my PC, but the firmware still reads 2.03.

Do I need to put CDDRV.SYS in my Config.sys?

Why would a Win2K/XP program need a DOS mode cd-rom driver?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Bill

Without going into what you did wrong, here’s how I flashed mine.

1. Optorite DD0203: Jumper set to Master on Secondary IDE.
  2. Download DV2_209.zip from Optorite site.
  3. Unzip #2 to folder named DV2_209, which contains files “cddrv”, “DV2_209” and “DV2Flash”
  4. Make sure no disc is in Optorite drive
  5. Double click DV2Flash. Error window w/ “Open I/O driver error!!” message pops up. Click “Ok”.
  6. Click “…” button, find “DV2_209” file, Open, Ok.
  7. Done. Restart system.

I did the same thing for 2.07 and 2.09 f/w flash, and both times were w/o a prob. Running WinXP Pro S1Pa btw.

thanks for your reply.

The only thing I did different this time was copy the CDDRV.SYS to c:\windows\system32\drivers. I also had set my Optorite to master.

This work just like you said, but my firmware still reads 2.03. Does your version read 2.09 after you had upgraded?

Bill

“The only thing I did different this time was copy the CDDRV.SYS to c:\windows\system32\drivers.”

Explain to me again why you’re doing this? The cddrv file stays w/ the DV2_209 and DV2Flash in the same folder. But if it doesn’t work for you, it’s beyond me.

Mine -

old cddrv.sys ver # 5.1.2600.0
description: CDDrv - CD/DVD Driver

new cddrv.sys ver # 5.0.2195.1620
description: ATK-Windows CD/DVD Driver

The new driver has a different version # and description.

I copied this new driver to c:\windows\system32\drivers to test it out. The error message I had before was gone but I got an ‘I/O error’ message instead. So far, so good.

Next, I upgraded to DV2_209 and restarted PC.

Checked firmware with IAA (Intel Appl Accel). It says 2.03

Ran upgrade again, same results. Is my Optorite defective?

Bill

Oh, now you tell me you have the freaking IAA installed… Man, uninstall that thing, restart your system, run optorite f/w update exactly as I listed above, restart system again, check firmware version for optorite, reinstall IAA.

That did the trick, thanks man!

Does this mean I have to remove IAA and reinstall every time I want to upgrade?? This is not good.

Bill

Looks like it. Mmmm… AMD.:bigsmile:

Originally posted by MrBill
[B]That did the trick, thanks man!

Does this mean I have to remove IAA and reinstall every time I want to upgrade?? This is not good.

Bill [/B]

I suggest to do some testing with and without IAA installed. If the performance is about the same (I’ve seen cases where the performance with IAA installed is better, but worse as well) or worse, just keep it deinstalled…

I did some benchmarking using Sandra 2003.

It seems that IAA can improve your HardDisk I/O but your CPU will take a big hit.:confused:

Before installing IAA
CPU=6,477
HDD=19,780

After installing IAA
CPU=6,219
HDD=21,1088

Bill

But ur CPU DIDNT take a bit hit. That speed loss is nothing, and could be caused by something esle anyway. I would say just leave IAA off…