Firmware updates for TSST corp TS-L632H

vbimport

I am trying to burn a CD of an album I purchased in iTunes. It is giving me an error that says I need to update my firmware. The drivers are current but I still can’t burn the CD. I have searched but can’t seem to find a place to update the firmware for the burner.

Forgot to add that I am running this on Vista 32 bit and it’s an Acer Aspire 5920.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
learning as I go :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=learningasIgo;2165844]I am trying to burn a CD of an album I purchased in iTunes. It is giving me an error that says I need to update my firmware. The drivers are current but I still can’t burn the CD. I have searched but can’t seem to find a place to update the firmware for the burner.

Forgot to add that I am running this on Vista 32 bit and it’s an Acer Aspire 5920.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
learning as I go :)[/QUOTE]

I think Vi$ta is the problem.

Please post a screenshot & errorlog.

Hi and Welcome![quote=learningasIgo;2165844]I am trying to burn a CD of an album I purchased in iTunes. It is giving me an error that says I need to update my firmware. The drivers are current but I still can’t burn the CD. I have searched but can’t seem to find a place to update the firmware for the burner. [/quote]official firmware for your drive is provided by Acer, so check their support website. If you can’t find a firmware update, contact Acer support.

Other OEM manufacturers like Dell offered firmware updates for that drive addressing this issue.

Depending on the configuration of your drive (“Master” or “Slave”) there is the option to force flash to either Dell OEM firmware or Samsung SN-S082H. But this would void your warranty. Not sure if the problem is fixed with SN-S082H firmware.

[quote=chef;2166152]I think Vi$ta is the problem.[/quote]No. There is a known issue with that drive and iCrap. Dell fixed it with a firmware update.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2166189]

No. There is a known issue with that drive and iCrap. Dell fixed it with a firmware update.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Okay, thanks. Good to know.

Further details:
Issue was fixed with D300 firmware,

most recent is D500 at the moment.

Ok I had already contacted Acer and got this reply:

"Thank you for contacting Acer America. I apologize for the inconvenience that you have experienced. As per the manufacturers warranty the software and drivers are provided as is. If the shipping driver provides functionality as advertised, an update may not be provided. If you feel you have a problem with the hardware of your computer you may contact Acer technical support.

Respectfully,
Acer America
Online Technical Support"

How’s that for customer service :Z I’m not impressed at all. I mean isn’t that what I just did was contact Technical Support :rolleyes: This is the first issue I’ve had with my computer and it’s not a year old yet. I’ve searched Acer’s web site but there is nothing regarding firmware that I can see. I’m not a computer guru on this kind of stuff. Is there any way someone can tell exactly where to go to get that firmware update? Since I have an Acer can I still go to Dell to get it? Sorry for the stupid questions but my husband would really like his CD since he paid for it LOL. I don’t know where else to go.

Thanks so much! :bow:

Hi,[quote=learningasIgo;2166481]Ok I had already contacted Acer and got this reply:
{snipped}
How’s that for customer service :Z [/quote]Let me guess, what company is new on your personal “do not buy” list :wink:

Is there any way someone can tell exactly where to go to get that firmware update?
Seems, there is non, and Acer thinks there is not need for such.

Since I have an Acer can I still go to Dell to get it?
Basically yes. But at first you must make sure, your drive is configured as Master. See if you can get Nero Infotool 4.03. This is an old version, and I don’t know if that works with Vista. This tool will display the drive’s configuration. (see screenshot below).
If your drive is also configured as Master, then Dell firmware could be applied by force (see FAQ linked in my signature), but this will void your warranty.

Sorry for the stupid questions but my husband would really like his CD since he paid for it LOL.
This is not a stupid question. :slight_smile:

Michael

Hi, a little help please…

I’m having the exact same problem as the original poster, same laptop as well!

I have downloaded the Dell D500 firmware but it will not let me install it, I assume because my computer is a Dell. I tried looking through the FAQ’s linked in your signature as you mentioned details of how to apply firmware by force were there, but I couldn’t find anything about. So I am guessing you have changed your signature since…

Details of how to apply the firmware by force would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much, Sam.

Hi and Welcome![QUOTE=samaberdeen;2236468]I’m having the exact same problem as the original poster, same laptop as well!

I have downloaded the Dell D500 firmware but it will not let me install it, I assume because my computer is a Dell.[/quote]You forgot the word “not” there;) Latest Dell firmware is D600 btw.
That’s normal. Dell OEM firmware has another OEM code than for example Acer OEM firmware. The flash tool checks if OEM code of drive and firmware file fit.

I tried looking through the FAQ’s linked in your signature as you mentioned details of how to apply firmware by force were there, but I couldn’t find anything about. So I am guessing you have changed your signature since…
No, it’s there. :slight_smile:

Details of how to apply the firmware by force would be greatly appreciated.
I deliberately do not supply a detailled step-by-step instruction since crossflashing is requiring some basic knowledge, and I don’t want the users to brick their drives by following such instructions without thinking over it.
And please note, any warranty is void after crossflashing, perhaps even on the entire laptop.

Michael

Burned 3 DVD+R coasters on WinXP + Nero 8 with firmware D600 on Dell Vostro 1500 with this DVD writer and had to downgrade to D500.

Hello,
I have the same drive but from asus. My actual firmware version is “ts-l632h as02”. My problem is that the drive often doesn’t burn mostly DVDs sometimes CDs. I have already searched the web for an update but it seems, that this is the last one asus provided. I found a thread on this topic in the asus VIP forums, but they never answered to it.

Now I thought about crossflashing and thought it would be the best asking in this forum, if someone knows if it is possible with the asus drive and wich firmware would be the best to use.

Thanks in advance and greetings from Germany,
figgerich

Hi and Welcome![QUOTE=figgerich;2437096]
I have the same drive but from asus. My actual firmware version is “ts-l632h as02”. My problem is that the drive often doesn’t burn mostly DVDs sometimes CDs.[/quote]Could you please describe more detailled? Could this be perhaps media related (example: CD-R from manufacturer YX does work, CD-R from XZ does not)?
You may also see if carefully cleaning the lens does help.

I have already searched the web for an update but it seems, that this is the last one asus provided.
I doubt, your problem can be solved by application of another firmware.

Now I thought about crossflashing and thought it would be the best asking in this forum, if someone knows if it is possible with the asus drive and wich firmware would be the best to use.
Crossflashing is possible, but you’ll void any warranty, possibly on the entire laptop. So if your laptop is still covered by warranty, then contacting Asus support is the better option.
If you don’t mind, then the most important thing to know is your drive’s internal configuration. TS-L632H (SN-S082H) comes in two flavours:
behaves like a master (device 0) or
behaves like slave (device 1)
Flashing the wrong firmware will render your drive useless (might be fixable using a slim->IDE adapter and a desktop computer)
For essentials, check my signature, for details you may search our Samsung writer forum as there are a couple of threads about this drive.

Michael

I think that it is no media problem, because i already tested a big variety of discs (Sony, HP, Fujifilm, Tevion, Phillips…). I also cleaned the lens with a lens cleaner CD. The main problem is, when I am burning a DVD the burning software( Nero, freeBurnerXP, the Windows ISO burning dialogue) shows that it is burning it, and has succesfully finished, but checking Data on the DVD it is still empty and can be burned with my other drive.
Searching the web for some infos, I read that this is a firmware problem of this drive that many other manufacturer could solve with an updated firmware, but asus as you all may know is not very fast and up-to-date with new drivers, firmware and support.

My warranty is over this month, so that is no big problem for me and as the drive is not burning, I always have to connect my external drive, so the drive is very useless not working.

I tried the Infotool bundeled with my Nero version (7.9) but it doesn’t show if the drive is master or slave, after that I tried the Infotool 4.03 but it doesn’t show anything on the configurations tab (I’m using win7 RTM).
Am I doing something wrong? How may I else find out if the drive is master or slave?

figgerich

Hi,[QUOTE=figgerich;2437291]I think that it is no media problem, because i already tested a big variety of discs (Sony, HP, Fujifilm, Tevion, Phillips…). [/quote]Ok.

I also cleaned the lens with a lens cleaner CD.
Which was not a good idea.

I tried the Infotool bundeled with my Nero version (7.9) but it doesn’t show if the drive is master or slave, after that I tried the Infotool 4.03 but it doesn’t show anything on the configurations tab (I’m using win7 RTM).
Infotool 4.03 does not work with NT6.x

How may I else find out if the drive is master or slave?
Device Manager. Properties of the IDE-Channel the drive is connected to.
Device 0=Master
Device 1=Slave
That’s at least valid for NT5.x

Properties of the drive might also give some information:
Location Path 0(0) indicates a Master on the Primary IDE controller
Location Path 1(1) indicates a Slave on the Secondary IDE controller

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2437525]Hi,Ok. Which was not a good idea.[/QUOTE]

Why? Aren’t they made for that thing? I didn’t know that they are bad for the lens.

[QUOTE=mciahel;2437525]Infotool 4.03 does not work with NT6.x
Device Manager. Properties of the IDE-Channel the drive is connected to.
Device 0=Master
Device 1=Slave
That’s at least valid for NT5.x
[/QUOTE]

Hmm, my HDD and the DVD-Drive are both on Channel 0, but I still don’t know wich is master and wich is slave

[QUOTE=mciahel;2437525]Properties of the drive might also give some information:
Location Path 0(0) indicates a Master on the Primary IDE controller
Location Path 1(1) indicates a Slave on the Secondary IDE controller

Michael[/QUOTE]

My HDD and the DVD Drive have both the same Location Path, as you may see in the picture attached.

Maybe I will boot an WinXP PE Version later this day and try the Nero Infotool again.

Okay, I tried to boot my PE CD but it seems to be damaged. So I looked up my BIOS settings and it says that the ATAPI CDROM is on “Primary IDE Master” and my HardDisk on “Third IDE Master”. So I will have to flash a master firmware, but wich should I flash?

And of course, thank you very much for your help Michael!

Hi,[QUOTE=figgerich;2437743]So I looked up my BIOS settings and it says that the ATAPI CDROM is on “Primary IDE Master” and my HardDisk on “Third IDE Master”. So I will have to flash a master firmware, [/quote]Glad, you got it :slight_smile:

but wich should I flash?
There are two options:
either SN-S082H retail firmware or TS-L632H firmware from another OEM. Dell firmware is Master firmware, not sure about Samsung’s SCxx firmwares (from Samsung Korea website). You may do some additional search in the Samsung writers forum.

And of course, thank you very much for your help Michael!
You’re Welcome :slight_smile:

Michael

I’ve just flashed the newest Dell firmware (DW10) and now the drive is finally burning again!

Once more:
Thank you, thank you, thank you Michael!

Why? Aren’t they made for that thing? I didn’t know that they are bad for the lens.
There must be a reason why Philips and Pioneer strongly advise to not use such cleaner discs for their DVD writers.

[QUOTE=figgerich;2437773]I’ve just flashed the newest Dell firmware (DW10) and now the drive is finally burning again! [/QUOTE]Glad you got it sorted :clap:

But what I don’t get: How can a manufacturer publish such a crappy firmware :eek:

Thank you,
You’re very welcome :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=figgerich;2437773]I’ve just flashed the newest Dell firmware (DW10) and now the drive is finally burning again!

Once more:
Thank you, thank you, thank you Michael![/QUOTE]

Hey figgerich i have the same problem of your rive but i can’t flash the firmware.
Could you explain me how to flash it?
Moreover could indicate me the exact dell’s driver?
Thanks. i hope to resolve it.