Firmware update

vbimport

i recently posted a thread about getting rid of pops and crackels when ripping cds to mp3 and some suggestions included updating the fimware for my Ricoh MP7200A. I have just read the firmware updateing instructions and there is a warning that if it makes the drive unusable there is no way to return it to the old state and will have to go in for a repair. This sounds rather scary!
If this happens can I just roll back windows me to another time using system restore? will this fix work if the update corrupts the drive? and how do i find what fimware version is loaded at present?

When you upgrade firmware you are changing software that resides on your CDRW drive. So, System Restore won’t help you. All firmware updates give warnings about dire consequences that could occur. Usually, unless you suddenly lose power while the upgrade is in progress, all will go well. You can maximize your chances for success by downloading the version of firmware you are currently using as well as the new viersion. This way, if there is a problem, you can restore the version that worked. I have upgraded firmware on many CD drives, motherboards and other devices and have never had a problem. Still, you see many reports of people who do have problems. I believe they are in a small minority and probably did something horribly wrong. Good luck. Remember, these devices are made to be upgraded. If the improvements/enhancements are important to you, go for it.

Originally posted by stone2
i recently posted a thread about getting rid of pops and crackels when ripping cds to mp3 and some suggestions included updating the fimware for my Ricoh MP7200A. I have just read the firmware updateing instructions and there is a warning that if it makes the drive unusable there is no way to return it to the old state and will have to go in for a repair. This sounds rather scary!
If this happens can I just roll back windows me to another time using system restore? will this fix work if the update corrupts the drive? and how do i find what fimware version is loaded at present?